moderated winboard chess game.

Chris Hill

I'm interested in playing chess against my computer, and this seems like the way to do it, but for two things: first of all, it won't stop speaking the time all the time, and second of all, it is hard to hear the last move made on the first go because of the time, and it doesn't seem to speak all of it when I read it through the jaws menu.
This version is 4.52.

Any ideas? I'd change programs if that would help.

Richard Turner

Depending on your level, Spoonbill software has a chess game that can be played against the computer. The link is below. If you have an iPhone, I'd recommend Shredder Chess which has a free lite version, or a paid version.
http://www.spoonbillsoftware.com.au/bgchess.htm

Richard

"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Dec 17, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

I'm interested in playing chess against my computer, and this seems like the way to do it, but for two things: first of all, it won't stop speaking the time all the time, and second of all, it is hard to hear the last move made on the first go because of the time, and it doesn't seem to speak all of it when I read it through the jaws menu.
This version is 4.52.

Any ideas?  I'd change programs if that would help.

James Benstead

https://lichess.org/ claims to be accessible -- I've never checked it out directly, but here's a blog post from a few years ago that outlines what they did to improve their accessibility.

Lichess works through the browser, and lets you play against a human opponent (which it can match you with) or against the computer.

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 04:43, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:
I'm interested in playing chess against my computer, and this seems like
the way to do it, but for two things: first of all, it won't stop
speaking the time all the time, and second of all, it is hard to hear
the last move made on the first go because of the time, and it doesn't
seem to speak all of it when I read it through the jaws menu.
This version is 4.52.

Any ideas?  I'd change programs if that would help.

Chris Hill

Thanks all for the info.  Looks like the Spoonbill version should keep me occupied for a while.

On 12/18/2020 03:07, Richard Turner wrote:
Depending on your level, Spoonbill software has a chess game that can be played against the computer. The link is below. If you have an iPhone, I'd recommend Shredder Chess which has a free lite version, or a paid version.
http://www.spoonbillsoftware.com.au/bgchess.htm

Richard

"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Dec 17, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

I'm interested in playing chess against my computer, and this seems like the way to do it, but for two things: first of all, it won't stop speaking the time all the time, and second of all, it is hard to hear the last move made on the first go because of the time, and it doesn't seem to speak all of it when I read it through the jaws menu.
This version is 4.52.

Any ideas?  I'd change programs if that would help.

David Csercsics <bleeblat@...>

Yes, shredder is good, or chesswise. Both are iphone apps. There is also Diamond for iphone as well, which is another client for the free internet chess server if you're lucky enough to find human opponents you'd like to play.