moderated Filling out .'df forms with JAWS?

Ann Byrne

My employer wants to know whether there is a way to code pdf's so that JAWS can recognize the form fields and accept a response. I presume this is possible? what has to be done in order to make it happen?
Thanks for the help,
Ann

Cohn, Jonathan

Google brings back several results including Youtube videos when searching for creating accessible pdf forms. I believe you do need a PDF tool and can’t just export a Word form.
Both Adobe Acrobat and CommonLook claim to be able to create accessible PDF forms.
For more complicated forms where JavaScript is used to calculate results, then you might want to look at contacting a company that does this. There are several PDF accessibility contractors in the United States.
Jonathan

On Dec 16, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

My employer wants to know whether there is a way to code pdf's so that JAWS can recognize the form fields and accept a response. I presume this is possible? what has to be done in order to make it happen?
Thanks for the help,
Ann

Richard Turner

Here are some of the results I received when searching with DuckDuckGo.com. I put the link to the full search results at the end:

Create accessible PDFs - Office Support
Search domain support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-accessible-pdfs-064625e0-56ea-4e16-ad71-3aa33bb4b7edhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-accessible-pdfs-064625e0-56ea-4e16-ad71-3aa33bb4b7ed
Before generating your PDF, run the Accessibility Checker to make sure your document is easy for people of all abilities to access and edit. Click the File tab, and then click Save As. In the Save As dialog box, click the arrow in the Save as type list, and then click PDF.

The PDF Accessibility Guide: How to Make Your Portable ...
Search domain medium.com/@krisrivenburgh/the-pdf-accessibility-guide-how-to-make-your-portable-documents-accessible-6e77a21a098fhttps://medium.com/@krisrivenburgh/the-pdf-accessibility-guide-how-to-make-your-portable-documents-accessible-6e77a21a098f
How to create accessible PDFs distilled into four bullet points: Use Microsoft Word 2016 and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Structure your content and elements correctly inside Word Clean up and enhance the...

Create and verify PDF accessibility, Acrobat Pro
Search domain helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/create-verify-pdf-accessibility.htmlhttps://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/create-verify-pdf-accessibility.html
From the Actions List, click Make Accessible. The right-hand pane changes to display each task included in the Make Accessible action, as well as the instructions to execute the action. Select the files that you want to apply the Make Accessible action to. By default, the action runs on the document that's currently open.

Creating Accessible Forms in Word and PDF
Search domain www.dor.ca.gov/Content/DorIncludes/documents/DisabilityAccessServices/Creating-Accessible-Forms-in-Word-and-PDF-rev-062016.pdfhttps://www.dor.ca.gov/Content/DorIncludes/documents/DisabilityAccessServices/Creating-Accessible-Forms-in-Word-and-PDF-rev-062016.pdf
A Note about PDF Form Creation There are many file formats you can choose to begin building forms. In this document we will cover building simple Word forms, and building PDF forms beginning with a Microsoft Word document. If you create forms from other base file formats (InDesign, QuarkXPress, etc...) many of the principles for

Training in creating accessible PDF forms, including ...
Search domain accessible-digital-documents.com/training/accessible-pdf-forms/https://accessible-digital-documents.com/training/accessible-pdf-forms/
Online training. Please note that this course is now available online. Overview. This course covers all aspects of creating accessible PDF forms, using InDesign or Word together with Acrobat Pro, from design and layout issues to tagging, validation and testing. Example completed form from this course (PDF 92KB) Core topics

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=How+to+create+accessible+PDF+forms&t=h_&ia=web

Richard

*I'm not the card shark