moderated Using fusion with laptop layout

Bonnie Vegiard

Hi everyone,
I recently got a new laptop and have installed fusion 2021. The start up wizard did not ask me about laptop or desktop layout. Nothing is working the way I expect it to, including alt F4 does not close anything. Do I need to change the layout, and how do I do that? I have tried to find it in the help topics, but can’t find anything. I can’t even get a context menu to open up using the alt key. Help! Thank you.

Bonnie Vegiard

Joe DiNero

Are you having issues with your other function keys? If so you probably need to use the Fn key.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bonnie Vegiard
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 4:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Using fusion with laptop layout

Hi everyone,
I recently got a new laptop and have installed fusion 2021. The start up wizard did not ask me about laptop or desktop layout. Nothing is working the way I expect it to, including alt F4 does not close anything. Do I need to change the layout, and how do I do that? I have tried to find it in the help topics, but can’t find anything. I can’t even get a context menu to open up using the alt key. Help! Thank you.

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie Vegiard

Yes, I think I am. Where is the Effen key and do I need to use it every time I try to use a function key?

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Joe DiNero <joedinero68@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you having issues with your other function keys? If so you probably need to use the Fn key.

Joe

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie Vegiard

I did get the set up wizard to run and was able to set it to laptop layout.

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Bonnie Vegiard via groups.io <bonnievegiard=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes, I think I am. Where is the Effen key and do I need to use it every time I try to use a function key?

Joe

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

This is almost certainly not the result of the keyboard layout chosen by default (generally desktop), but of the laptop having its function keys mapped to media and other control functions by default.  You do not mention the make and model, so I can't offer any specific assistance to change that such that they act like function keys instead without it.

The F N key is generally on the lower left side of a US keyboard, most often the second key in on the lowest row.  The most common order, from leftmost until you hit spacebar, is CTRL, F N, Windows Key, ALT, then spacebar.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Scott Pearl

The FN key is 3 to the left of the space bar. You'll need to use it each time you use a function key. If your laptop is a Dell or Asus, you can toggle what these function keys do by pressing Function Escape. If it's an HP or Lenovo you'll need to go into the bios.

Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Using fusion with laptop layout

Joe

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bonnie
Vegiard

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie Vegiard

I think it is called a Lenovo. I’ll see if I can get to system information and get more.

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Scott Pearl <spearl@ics.idaho.gov> wrote:

The FN key is 3 to the left of the space bar. You'll need to use it each time you use a function key. If your laptop is a Dell or Asus, you can toggle what these function keys do by pressing Function Escape. If it's an HP or Lenovo you'll need to go into the bios.

Joe

Vegiard

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie Vegiard

So I have to use the Effen key every time I want to use one of the function keys as a function key? And also I have to use the accompanying jaws key?

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:42 PM, Bonnie Vegiard via groups.io <bonnievegiard=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I think it is called a Lenovo. I’ll see if I can get to system information and get more.

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Scott Pearl <spearl@ics.idaho.gov> wrote:

Joe

Vegiard

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

Joe

That is not entirely true. If the Lenovo is a ThinkPad the FN + Escape key works as well. I have two different models of the ThinkPad Lenovo and this combination works. However, the Lenovo Ideal Pad does required a different method. Thanks, for letting us know about the Dell and Asus I did not know you could use that combination.
Joe
Picture of Owl with Mortar Board and Computer
Dr. Joe L. Todd CVRT
Phone: 616.951.2142

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Pearl
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 4:36 PM

Joe

Vegiard

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

From Lenovo Support:

You may want to disable the hotkey functionality of the function keys (F1, F2, and so on) in Windows 8.1/10, to avoid having to press Fn to use the function. The methods differ by models: (help me to find my product name/serial number).

Note:
For some models like Yoga 900s or Yoga 910, hotkey settings have been removed from the BIOS configuration. Use Lenovo Settings to configure.
--

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 04:43 PM, Bonnie Vegiard wrote:
So I have to use the Effen key every time I want to use one of the function keys as a function key?
-
Yes, you would have to use the F N key along with the JAWS key and whatever function key.  If it was normally JAWS+F6 it would require JAWS+F N+F6.

However, most people simply turn off the media keys feature on laptops if they're going to be using a screen reader, and that's whether they prefer (or must use, due to lack of a number pad) the laptop or desktop layout for JAWS or any other screen reader.

--

~ André Gide

Bonnie Vegiard

The Lenovo model is 81W0

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:48 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 04:43 PM, Bonnie Vegiard wrote:
So I have to use the Effen key every time I want to use one of the function keys as a function key?
-
Yes, you would have to use the F N key along with the JAWS key and whatever function key.  If it was normally JAWS+F6 it would require JAWS+F N+F6.

However, most people simply turn off the media keys feature on laptops if they're going to be using a screen reader, and that's whether they prefer (or must use, due to lack of a number pad) the laptop or desktop layout for JAWS or any other screen reader.

--

~ André Gide

Scott Pearl

Thank you I didn't know that about the ThinkPad. When I was recently buying a laptop I was in Best Buy moving from computer to computer testing this out and the Lenovo I tried must not have been an ThinkPad and I assumed all computers from the same brand were the same.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 2:44 PM

That is not entirely true. If the Lenovo is a ThinkPad the FN + Escape key works as well. I have two different models of the ThinkPad Lenovo and this combination works. However, the Lenovo Ideal Pad does required a different method. Thanks, for letting us know about the Dell and Asus I did not know you could use that combination.
Joe
Picture of Owl with Mortar Board and Computer Dr. Joe L. Todd CVRT
Phone: 616.951.2142

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Pearl
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 4:36 PM

Joe

Vegiard

Hi everyone,

Bonnie Vegiard

Bonnie,

That's only a partial model number.  The only thing I can find using it is:  

IdeaPad,IdeaPad 3 14ADA05,Model:81W0006KMH - Lenovo

If it is an IdeaPad then you would need a sighted assistant to handle getting into BIOS and doing the following, since there is no screen reader support without an operating system running, and BIOS is before operating system startup in any boot sequence.

Lenovo-branded products:

1. Access the BIOS (method to enter BIOS in Windows 8.1Windows 10).
  2. Once in the BIOS menu, select the Configuration tab.
  3. Select Hotkey Mode and set to Disabled.
  4. Save and Exit the BIOS menu (press F10 and then Enter).

--

~ André Gide

Bonnie Vegiard

On Dec 11, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Bonnie,

That's only a partial model number.  The only thing I can find using it is:  

IdeaPad,IdeaPad 3 14ADA05,Model:81W0006KMH - Lenovo

If it is an IdeaPad then you would need a sighted assistant to handle getting into BIOS and doing the following, since there is no screen reader support without an operating system running, and BIOS is before operating system startup in any boot sequence.

Lenovo-branded products:

1. Access the BIOS (method to enter BIOS in Windows 8.1Windows 10).
  2. Once in the BIOS menu, select the Configuration tab.
  3. Select Hotkey Mode and set to Disabled.
  4. Save and Exit the BIOS menu (press F10 and then Enter).

--

~ André Gide

Bonnie,

Were you trying to ask a follow-up question?  Your last message contained only a quote of my previous one, with no new material.

--

~ André Gide