From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Sohl
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 10:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Office 365

Hi my wife and I got the family plan for Microsoft Offic e 365 and we are learing how to use it with JAWS for Windows.

Are there training tutorials on Freedom's page? Also, when using word, is there a way to get rid of the ribbons if you don't want to use them?

--
Sent from my Windows 10 HP

Tim Ford

Hello All,

Does anyone know a JAWS friendly way to convert a music file from the .oga
format to .mp3?

Tim Ford

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi tim,

There are any number of online converters. If you Google "convert .oga to .mp3" you find them, here is one reputable example I have used many times dfor converting all sorts of files:

https://www.zamzar.com/convert/oga-to-mp3/

If you use Jaws you can enable what is called Virtual Ribbons, they convert the ribbon menus to a more traditional menu. However, I highly reecommend you simply get used to the ribbon menu, it's here to stay at least for now and in my opinion it's better to learn how to deal with it.

Hi my wife and I got the family plan for Microsoft Offic e 365 and we are learing how to use it with JAWS for Windows.

Are there training tutorials on Freedom's page? Also, when using word, is there a way to get rid of the ribbons if you don't want to use them?

--
Sent from my Windows 10 HP

.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

What makes sense for many does not mean it makes sense for all and I am sure there are still plenty of Jaws users who like the virtual ribbon feature.
I also wonder why Vispero does not get rid of the Research It feature in Jaws, the only time I ever use it at all is a few times a year when I want to look up an area code and while I admit that is relatively simple using Research It, it really is not any more difficult using Google or I can simply ask my Google Home speaker, but then of course not everybody has a Google speaker or other smart speaker.

when I hear about not using the virtual ribbons, I wonder why doesn't FS/Vispero just get rid of it.

If you use Jaws you can enable what is called Virtual Ribbons, they convert the ribbon menus to a more traditional menu. However, I highly reecommend you simply get used to the ribbon menu, it's here to stay at least for now and in my opinion it's better to learn how to deal with it.

Hi my wife and I got the family plan for Microsoft Offic e 365 and we are learing how to use it with JAWS for Windows.

Are there training tutorials on Freedom's page? Also, when using word, is there a way to get rid of the ribbons if you don't want to use them?

--
Sent from my Windows 10 HP

.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Mario. They don't get rid of virtual ribbon because there are quite a few JAWS users who still aren't comfortable using the ribbon, and they want to make it as easy for these people as possible, so they'll keep using JAWS.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

when I hear about not using the virtual ribbons, I wonder why doesn't
FS/Vispero just get rid of it.

All the assistive Tech instructors I worked with turned off the virtual
ribbons, or rather, did not turn them on because it is best to learn to
use them like everyone else.
You cause yourself more convoluted steps to go through if you use them.
Virtual Ribbons was introduced in Jaws 12 as a way of dealing with the
new ribbon structure.
Since both Jaws and office have improved a lot over the years, it is
best to just learn to use them as they are.

Richard
"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
flying.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies
in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

*I'm not the card shark

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:20 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
All the assistive Tech instructors I worked with turned off the virtual ribbons, or rather, did not turn them on because it is best to learn to use them like everyone else.
-
I'm glad to hear that this philosophy is shared widely.  It is always best to know how to actually interact with any given operating system or piece of application software using its native interface.  And unless you believe the only computer you'll ever use is your own, it makes jumping on to another so much easier when you already know how without using unnecessary intermediary software.

Using Ribbons to Control Program Functions in Microsoft Windows - G. Asner
Using the Ribbon Interface in Windows via the Keyboard

The ribbons are menus, they simply have a slightly different traversal interface.  Once you know how to traverse them . . .

           ~ André Gide

tina sohl

Hi. We just subscribed to office 365 over the weekend and have a month
to try it and see if we like it. One thing i did was turn on the
option to autosave to one drive, but how do you turn that off if you
want to and can anyone give us any other tips to get going with it or
are there training tips on the website for jaws. thanks in advance.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:20 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

All the assistive Tech instructors I worked with turned off the virtual
ribbons, or rather, did not turn them on because it is best to learn to
use them like everyone else.
-
I'm glad to hear that this philosophy is shared widely.  It is always best
to know how to actually interact with any given operating system or piece of
application software using its native interface.  And unless you believe the
only computer you'll ever use is your own, it makes jumping on to another so
much easier when you already know how without using unnecessary intermediary
software.

Using Ribbons to Control Program Functions in Microsoft Windows - G. Asner (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1uTKhZZxWZ2QtF3KQgFCnO__gDdBKWmEn
)
Using the Ribbon Interface in Windows via the Keyboard (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOTUI1dDhDaHpwTk0
)

The ribbons are menus, they simply have a slightly different traversal
interface.  Once you know how to traverse them . . .

*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.*

~ André Gide

Dan Longmore

Hi,
There are lots of help topics and resources on the Microsoft site. Also, you can save to locations other than "One Drive" by using the "Save as" option in the file menu. The program is very functional with JAWS and like all software has some glitches and hiccups at times.

Dan

[...]

Hi, Tina. While Word is open,

1. Press ALT f, followed by T for Options.
2. Arrow down to Save.
3. TAB through the settings there, and you should see something like,

Save only to my local computer, check box not checked.

4. Check that check box, TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

Now saving to OneDrive should be turned off.

[...]

Tony Sohl

Hi how do you get rid of the ribbons if you don't want them? Is this in settings?

Thanks for all the help you have given us.

One thing we sent out a christmas newsletter that we do every year and my father in law just got his copy and he told me it rtained the formatting structure.

Is that new?

--
Sent from my Windows 10 HP

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 06:57 PM, Tony Sohl wrote:
Hi how do you get rid of the ribbons if you don't want them? Is this in settings?
-
You don't, at least not literally.   The Virtual Ribbon is a JAWS feature and turning it on or off is done in JAWS settings.  The virtual ribbon acts as a mask or skin for the actual ribbons used by Windows or application programs, but they are still there because they have been the standard user interface under Windows for many years now.

           ~ André Gide

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tony.As Brian just wrote, you don't actually get rid of the ribbons.
Instead, you change them into something that approaches the feel of a
classic menu. To do this,

1. Open Word.
2. Press JAWS key plus V to enter Quick Settings.
3. In the search box which appears, type virtual
4. Arrow down, and if you see something like,

Virtual Ribbon Menu not checked

5. Check this box with the Space Bar.
6. TAB to the OK button, and press Space or ENTER.

Now, the ribbons will appear different, and according to some people's
thinking, will be easier to use, although I don't personally think this to
be true.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Hi how do you get rid of the ribbons if you don't want them? Is this in
settings?

Thanks for all the help you have given us.

One thing we sent out a christmas newsletter that we do every year and
my father in law just got his copy and he told me it rtained the
formatting structure.

Is that new?

--
Sent from my Windows 10 HP

tina sohl

Thannks Bill. We appreciate it.

On 12/9/20, Bill White <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Brian.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 06:57 PM, Tony Sohl wrote:

Hi how do you get rid of the ribbons if you don't want them? Is this in
settings?
-
You don't, at least not literally.   The Virtual Ribbon is a JAWS feature
and turning it on or off is done in JAWS settings.  The virtual ribbon acts
as a mask or skin for the actual ribbons used by Windows or application
programs, but they are still there because they have been the standard user
interface under Windows for many years now.

*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.*

~ André Gide

cédric Paulet

Good afternoon,

You can try classic menus for office vcompatible with office 365.

Sincerely yours

Cedric