moderated Looking for text with Bold or Italics

Nermin

hi all,

a friend of mine is having a hard time trying to look through text with bold, italics and a specific colour.

She's using Office 2013 and JAWS 2020.

I thought that using CONTROL+f, going to advanced, and selecting "format, character" then the desired attributes would work, but for some reason it only works if she invokes the dialogue over and over. At that point, JAWS won't report the next occurrence with the selected formatting. Is there a way to jump from attributed text to attributed text without having to constantly go to the dialogue and select next each time?

Also, it would be helpful if JAWS reported the next occurrence. I thought that pressing F3 might do the trick, but for some reason it does not work.

If we use the attributes scheme, that does not help much, since she does not need to read the whole text.

It's for a proofreading job in Braille, where the text is present as a hardcopy and needs to be compared against the digital version. The original book has some highlighting that needs to match once the Braille version has been proofread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Nermin

Ann Byrne

Check out the skim reading tool. I think it will do it.

At 11:12 PM 12/2/2020, you wrote:
[...]

Mike B.

Or, change your speech and sounds scheme.  Insert, alt + S, will bring up a list of schemes.  Up or down arrow to a scheme and press enter to change.  Note:  make a note of which scheme you're running when you open the list so you can revert back to it when you're done.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

At 11:12 PM 12/2/2020, you wrote:
>hi all,
>

>a friend of mine is having a hard time trying to look through text
>with bold, italics and a specific colour.
>
>She's using Office 2013 and JAWS 2020.
>
>I thought that using CONTROL+f, going to advanced, and selecting
>"format, character" then the desired attributes would work, but for
>some reason it only works if she invokes the dialogue over and over.
>At that point, JAWS won't report the next occurrence with the
>selected formatting. Is there a way to jump from attributed text to
>attributed text without having to constantly go to the dialogue and
>select next each time?
>
>Also, it would be helpful if JAWS reported the next occurrence. I
>thought that pressing F3 might do the trick, but for some reason it
>does not work.
>
>If we use the attributes scheme, that does not help much, since she
>does not need to read the whole text.
>
>It's for a proofreading job in Braille, where the text is present as
>a hardcopy and needs to be compared against the digital version. The
>original book has some highlighting that needs to match once the
>Braille version has been proofread.
>

>Any help would be appreciated.
>

>Regards,
>
>Nermin

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
Generally in word, the control-pageUp and control-pageDown keys will do this if you have a search enabled. When first getting into a document these keystrokes will move by physical page, but once a search is done they move to the prior or next search match.
HTH!!
Jonathan

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:12 AM, Nermin wrote:
but for some reason it only works if she invokes the dialogue over and over.
-
That dialog can be left open, and if you're doing repeated searches that's what is typically done.  If you've set up an advanced search on, say, the word "Control" in bold, each hit of ALT+F is the find next so long as the dialog remains open.

Mind you, if that dialog is open, and you have multiple windows of Word open, it will remain open even when you switch from Word Window to Word Window.

I dismiss the dialog after I've finished with all the formatted text related searching I need to do at the moment.

           ~ André Gide

By the way, ALT+TAB or ALT+SHIFT+TAB will typically throw you right back in to the Advanced Find dialog so that you can issue that ALT+F to find next if you've switched focus away from it.  It normally hangs out right next to the Word Window where it was initially invoked, but could show up on either side of it.

           ~ André Gide

Justin Williams

Doesn't f6 do the same thing?

Throwing you back into the find or advanced find dialogue?

That might be a second way to do it.

Justin