From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Pearson
Sent: November 21, 2020 06:23 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws question

Hello list:

What, exactly, is the "system tray", and is thiswhere my Jaws 2021 program
should be located?

Lastly, how do I tell where my 2021 Jaws is located?

Thank you,

David S. Pearson

David,

           I don't exactly know how to describe what is very often called the system tray, also known as the notification area under Windows 10, other than to say it's a part of the taskbar, and located to the right side of the taskbar in its own section.  Windows Key+B has the shortcut to throw focus to it for a very long time.  Under Windows 10 the first item will always be the overflow area chevron, which gets announced a couple of different ways depending on the screen reader, and where icons that you don't want to have to deal with all the time get tucked.  The ones you do want to have in the notification area all the time are shown to the right of the overflow area chevron.

            I can't remember now which JAWS setting it is that controls whether the JAWS window will appear in the taskbar items that you can get to via ALT+TAB to cycle through them, versus in the system tray/notification area.  I know it exists, and even dealt with it recently, but I can't recall its location in the JAWS settings at the moment and don't have JAWS 2021 handy to check to see where it is.  Unless they've changed something recently I believe that the JAWS window will appear on the taskbar unless you tweak the setting that says to run it from the system tray.  I could, of course, be remembering the default state incorrectly.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Dan Longmore

Hi, in the 2021 version under the basics settings there is a checkbox to determine if jaws appears in the system tray. If unchecked jaws comes up on the taskbar which is the default

The checkbox to run Jaws from the system tray has been there for a very, very long time, I have been a Jawsuser since the Jaws for DOS version 1.something in 1989, used the first Jaws versions to support Windows 3.1 and 3.11 and then the Jaws for Windows we know today which started with Windows 95 so I honestly can't remember if it's been there for 10 years or 15 or 20, but I am pretty sure that certainly since Windows XP its been there.