moderated more on my jaws issue.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, I cannot install jaws 2021. I am authorized to have it, but it will not install. I downloaded it to my download folder, and that's as far as it goes.

I wrote to FS, and they gave me a case number, and I haven't heard from them since. Since I am authorized to have it, why won't it installs? I know a lot of you have a lot more knowledge about this kind of thing, so if you have some ideas, I would appreciate them. I am running jaws 19 at the moment on a windows ten computer. Jim

Richard Turner

What error are you getting?

Have you tried unloading Jaws 2019 with insert+f4 and running Narrator while you install 2021?

Richard

"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

--Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

*I’m not the card shark

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 5:01 PM
To: jfw-users@groups.io
Subject: more on my jaws issue.

Hi all, I cannot install jaws 2021. I am authorized to have it, but it will not install. I downloaded it to my download folder, and that's as far as it goes.

I wrote to FS, and they gave me a case number, and I haven't heard from them since. Since I am authorized to have it, why won't it installs? I know a lot of you have a lot more knowledge about this kind of thing, so if you have some ideas, I would appreciate them. I am running jaws 19 at the moment on a windows ten computer. Jim

Kevin Minor

Hi.

Something to check is whether you have the 32 or 64 bit version of the installer, and make sure it matches your Windows OS.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly, the very empathic, flying doggie

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 8:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: more on my jaws issue.

Have you tried unloading Jaws 2019 with insert+f4 and running Narrator while you install 2021?

Richard

"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

*I’m not the card shark

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Kevin. There is no longer a separate 32 and 64-bit installer for JAWS. It is all contained in one installer. Jim is getting an error which just says, "Install Failed".

One thing Jim neglected to tell you is that There is an entry for JAWS 21 under programs and Features with nothing in it, and it won't uninstall.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 5:43 PM

Hi.

Something to check is whether you have the 32 or 64 bit version of the installer, and make sure it matches your Windows OS.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

Richard Turner

Maybe he needs to reboot in safe mode and manually delete that empty folder?Or call Microsoft Accessibility and get help doing that.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Nov 20, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Kevin. There is no longer a separate 32 and 64-bit installer for JAWS. It is all contained in one installer. Jim is getting an error which just says, "Install Failed".

One thing Jim neglected to tell you is that There is an entry for JAWS 21 under programs and Features with nothing in it, and it won't uninstall.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Microsoft can't help him boot in safe mode. They don't have any control of his computer in safe mode.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 6:02 PM

Maybe he needs to reboot in safe mode and manually delete that empty folder?Or call Microsoft Accessibility and get help doing that.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

If you have a smart phone with Be My Eyes you can call the Microsoft disability desk with it and then they can help you. I had them to help me change a setting in my BIOS  using the Be My Eyes app.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 9:27 PM

Microsoft can't help him boot in safe mode. They don't have any control of his computer in safe mode.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

Jim Rawls

I did exactly that, and they told me to go to FS for help, because they said it was a jaws issue.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 7:14 PM

If you have a smart phone with Be My Eyes you can call the Microsoft disability desk with it and then they can help you. I had them to help me change a setting in my BIOS  using the Be My Eyes app.

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Have you tried to redownload the JAWS 2021 file again. It should install weather you have a license or not.

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 4:41 PM

I did exactly that, and they told me to go to FS for help, because they said it was a jaws issue.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

T. Civitello

I have been following this thread and have two suggestions. 1. Call Freedom Scientific Monday morning. They will get into your computer remotely and resolve the problem.    2. Try one of the registry cleaner programs.  I had a problem where Windows Live Mail would not install for me. I scoured the Internet and followed the suggestion to use a registry cleaner program, tried it and it worked.  Tom

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 3:14 PM

Have you tried to redownload the JAWS 2021 file again. It should install weather you have a license or not.
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 4:41 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 06:31 PM, T. Civitello wrote:
Try one of the registry cleaner programs. 
-
No, no, no, no, no - a thousand times NO!  Any professional tech will tell you to avoid these like the plague, and Microsoft agrees:  Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

One of the most risky things you can do is to use a registry cleaning program, and I have encountered machines that were sufficiently damaged by same that the only option was a completely clean reinstall of whatever version of Windows happened to be running on it at the time.

Windows Live Mail 2012 has been becoming more and more problematic in recent months, and well before Version 2004 of Windows 10, but if you want to see a confirmation that it is becoming even more so, have a look at this topic on Technibble, a tech support group for computer techs only, and where a temporary solution is mentioned:  Windows 2004 breaks Windows Live Mail.  You'll see my response, too, where I say this development has presented me with an opportunity to force the issue of moving away from Windows Live Mail.  I loved WLM, for many years, and even after it was out of support, but it's now becoming one problem after another to keep going, and it's really not a good idea to use something like an email client, that's constantly in contact with cyberspace, when security patches are no longer being done.  Moving on to something else is the thing to do, and there are many options.  All software has a finite shelf life.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

T. Civitello

To each his own. I am still using WLM in Win 10 and 7 and haven’t had any problems. As far as the Registry program, I have had Registry First Aid on my Win 7 PC for  3 years and it runs once a week and has caused no problems, Haven’t tried it on Win 10. I used it originally to remove some previous bits of a previous installation that was blocking the installation of WLM 12, and it worked. As I said, To each his own.   I don’t recommend a registry program jus telling what I did in desperation. Tom

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 4:29 PM

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 06:31 PM, T. Civitello wrote:
Try one of the registry cleaner programs.
-
No, no, no, no, no - a thousand times NO!  Any professional tech will tell you to avoid these like the plague, and Microsoft agrees:  Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

One of the most risky things you can do is to use a registry cleaning program, and I have encountered machines that were sufficiently damaged by same that the only option was a completely clean reinstall of whatever version of Windows happened to be running on it at the time.

Windows Live Mail 2012 has been becoming more and more problematic in recent months, and well before Version 2004 of Windows 10, but if you want to see a confirmation that it is becoming even more so, have a look at this topic on Technibble, a tech support group for computer techs only, and where a temporary solution is mentioned:  Windows 2004 breaks Windows Live Mail.  You'll see my response, too, where I say this development has presented me with an opportunity to force the issue of moving away from Windows Live Mail.  I loved WLM, for many years, and even after it was out of support, but it's now becoming one problem after another to keep going, and it's really not a good idea to use something like an email client, that's constantly in contact with cyberspace, when security patches are no longer being done.  Moving on to something else is the thing to do, and there are many options.  All software has a finite shelf life.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Randy Meyer

Jim:

I am having an issue installing Jaws as well on one of my computers, my ElBraille.  The installation stops at 50 percent and freezes.  I receive a Microsoft Visual C++ error. 

Eventually, I spent over an hour on the phone with FS.  The problem still exist.  They are going to get back to me.  The tech support person worked hard on my issue, but wasn’t able to solve.

You may have the same issue going on.  If it is similar to my case, it did take a little while to hear from FS.

Randy Meyer

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 7:01 PM

Jim Rawls

Well, I do, and I hope to hear from them this week. Jim

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Meyer
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2020 11:19 AM

Jim:

I am having an issue installing Jaws as well on one of my computers, my ElBraille.  The installation stops at 50 percent and freezes.  I receive a Microsoft Visual C++ error. 

Eventually, I spent over an hour on the phone with FS.  The problem still exist.  They are going to get back to me.  The tech support person worked hard on my issue, but wasn’t able to solve.

You may have the same issue going on.  If it is similar to my case, it did take a little while to hear from FS.

Randy Meyer

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 7:01 PM