Topics

moderated switching to running programs

T. Civitello

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Have you tried exiting JAWS, running Narrator, and trying to ALT TAB between three or more programs? Does it work, or are you still restricted to switching between only the last two programs? If you are restricted using Narrator, it is a Windows problem, not a JAWS 2021 problem. If, indeed, JAWS is what is restricting your view of the programs with ALT TAB, I don't know what to tell you. I am using JAWS 2021, and I am not having this problem.

One thing you might try is to use the command,

JAWS key plus SPACE, followed by Z

to put you into Alternate User Directory mode. This will cause all JAWS configurations to become temporarily inactive until you perform the same command,

JAWS key plus SPACE, followed by Z

again. This will help you to determine if it is something in your JAWS user settings that is causing this restriction in switching between programs.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

NFB Lab 4

Are you holding down the alt key while you press tab, or are you letting up each time?

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

NFB Lab 4

The other thing you can do is use the windows key tab. This will bring up the same list as alt tabbing, but you don’t have to hold anything down. After bringing it up, left or right arrow until you get to the program you want and press enter.

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

Douglas C. DeCamp

Tom,

I have this happen to me on rare occasions.  I have pretty much determined it occurs when my real memory gets a bit short.  If I re-boot it goes away.  Like I said, this is really rare for me, but if it occurred more often I probably would change my memory settings. In my case, I believe it occurs because of the way I set my real / virtual memory.

When it happens I use the Win key + tab to find the pgm I want.

  • Hth ---

roups.io> On Behalf Of T. Civitello
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 12:06 AM
To: jfw@groups.io

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

Sharon

I had the same problem with Jaws 2020 but not when I moved to Jaws 2021. For a work-around at the time, windows-tab followed by left and right arrow keys was how I functioned until Jaws 2021 was installed.

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

T. Civitello

I have done some experimenting myself and I think this is a Jaws 2021 problem as it doesn’t occur when I have 2019 or 2020 running.  Tom

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 12:06 AM
To: jfw@groups.io

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

Tom,

1.  What is your version and build of Windows 10?

2.  Are you using the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser in the mix of programs?

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

T. Civitello

Using Windows 7 and Brave or IE browser.  Tom

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2020 7:38 AM

Tom,

1.  What is your version and build of Windows 10?

2.  Are you using the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser in the mix of programs?

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom,

          Then this one is a case of, "search me?"   There are certain changes to Windows 10 and Edge both that can trigger something similar, and that's easy to reverse, under Windows 10.  I have no idea what may be going on under Windows 7 (and at this point barely remember many "under the hood" details of Windows 7, having been away from it entirely since 2015).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

T. Civitello

I think I will just go back to using Jaws 2019 when I do my banking.  Tom

JM Casey

It definitely is a problem related in some way to JAWS, though you’d think it wouldn’t affect task switching behaviour. It’s not exclusive to JAWS 2021 – I definitely had this happen a few times with JAWS 18 and possibly 2018 as well. Restarting JAWS does seem to fix this intermitent problem. Alternatively, there are more efficient ways to switch to desired applications than alt-tabbing (I’m not criticising, I often fall back on this method, too) – a good reason to start using some of them more frequently.

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

Van Lant, Robin

Tom,

My IT guy installed JAWS 2021 on my work laptop this morning. After getting it set up, I noticed the same behavior you described.  I had 4 programs running and only 2 would come up in the alt tab rotation; I could see all 4 programs if using Windows tab or insert F10. Like you, I could close JAWS 2021, then open JAWS 2020 or Narrator and Alt Tab worked as expected.  I have rebooted my computer and, at least at present, JAWS 2021 is working correctly again with the Alt  Tab.  Cannot say that would fix it for you, and I do not know if it will occur for me again, but wanted you to at least know you weren’t alone.

I have a slight problem. If I have more than 2 programs running and I try to switch to the 3rd or 4th program with alt, tab I can only switch to the first 2  programs that are  running. Using insert F10 I can see all 4 running programs and switch to the one I want to use. Makes it difficult when I am paying bills and have running the bank, Jaws and my bills paid document. Every time I switch to see what and how much the net  bill is I have tuse insert F10 to switch to the bills paid document. Never was this way till Jaws 2021. How do I get back to where I can alt tab to all the open programs.  Thanks Tom

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

T. Civitello

Thanks! Just checked and the problem still exists.  I think I will call FS about it.  Tom

Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 1:50 PM