moderated A Specific Message for Brian Vogel

Rick Miller

Dear Brian:

On October 26th, you sent me a message  in reply to a message I sent to the group about the terrible time I am having trying to get JAWS to work with Google Calendar on my computer.  I replied to this message three days ago, but as of yet have not heard from you.  There is one thing, though, that you said in your message that I cannot figure out how to do.  You suggested that I use More Options in order to receive e-mail notifications.  In the settings menu I cannot find More Options, so how do you get it to work?

In the message I sent you on November 11, I answered the questions you had asked me when you were trying to give me advice about the use of Google Calendar.  The message is below, so now I hope that perhaps you might be able to help me, as nobody else has.

Rick Miller

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 12:57 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: RE: How Many of you out there have used Google Calendar?

Dear Brian:

I am very comfortable with Outlook calendar—in fact, much more so than with Google Calendar.  The Google calendar I am using is my own, and I am trying to use it from the web.  Every time I open up my browser, which is Chrome, I hit Alt+L, and when the addressbar pops up I enter calendar.google.com and hit the Enter key, and the calendar comes up with no trouble.  I have learned how to create an event, but it is just the notifications I am concerned about.  When I get into the Settings menu and go down to where the notification settings are I hit the Enter key, and when the combo box comes up I see there are alert notifications and desktop notifications, but when I up-arrow from where it indicates there are desktop notifications instead of hearing the word “E-mail,” I hear the word “off.”  I don’t know why this is so, and when I try to turn notifications on nothing seems to be working, so I have for the moment just gone back to using Outlook calendar which I am more comfortable and familiar with.  If you can receive e-mail Google calendar notifications I do not know how to access them.  But in answer to your questions, I am very familiar with Outlook calendar and I am trying to use Google calendar from the web.  I am using the latest JAWS beta version and Windows 10.

Rick Miller

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 9:29 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How Many of you out there have used Google Calendar?

Rick,

I have several questions before I try to offer any guidance:

1.  Are you already familiar and comfortable with Outlook calendar?

2.  Is the Google Calendar you're trying to manage your own, or does it belong to someone else or another entity and you've been granted modification permissions?

3.  Am I safe in presuming, at least at the moment, that you are trying to use the Google Calendar web interface to create/edit events/appointments?

Google Calendar's own web interface has changed, not like last week recently, but within the last year, so that a minimal set of features for an event, not including notifications, is shown by default.  You must activate the More Options control in order to have the full complement of event options, including the Notifications controls, become visible.  There are only two Notification methods, email and notification.  Email is exactly what you'd think, an e-mail is sent to you to remind you at whatever interval prior to the event you set.  Notification will cause a pop-up on a desktop computer or a notification message on a smartphone that's much like a text, but generated by Google Calendar.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 04:43 PM, Rick Miller wrote:
I replied to this message three days ago, but as of yet have not heard from you. 
-
Because I missed your response.  I am human, and I also have other things going on in my life, so it will occasionally happen.  Now that you've brought this to my attention I will go back and give the response on the original subject after I have had time to look things over in your initial reply.

Also, and it's not the case here I hasten to add, any assistant has the right to stop assisting at any time, for any reason, as we're not being paid.  It's generally considered rude to do so "without provocation," and without saying one is doing so, but it does sometimes happen.  That's not what happened in this case, though.  Keep an eye out for a reply later this evening.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss