moderated Font changes, etc. setting

Vaughn Brown

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Vaughn,

            You'd need to be a lot more specific about the nits they're picking in order to get a focused answer.  That being said, I would ask what font face and point size is wanted as a starting point.  And if all of your papers are to be delivered to individuals and departments who dictate that font then I'd edit your Normal.dotm file (details later, if needed) so that any blank document you open will default to having it from the get-go.

             Word includes the Styles feature, and if you are told which of the various Styles they'd prefer you use, you could activate that before starting the paper and the various fonts, sizes, indents, outline/bullet styles, etc., will conform to that Style.

             It's the parentheses part I really can't answer, as they will be presented in whatever font you're using.  Now if the issue is they want different delimiters at different times, e.g. square brackets, curly braces, and the like then they need to make clear under what circumstances each is wanted, or refer you to something like the Chicago Manual of Style or other formatting reference that reflects what's being asked for.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Baughn.  I don't think jaws on it's own can help you much with your situation.  What you need to do is to get to know your Word Processor, depending on which you are using of course.  Having said all that, I'm no expert with using jaws, but getting your word processor, whether it be Microsoft word or some other word application to do what you want, will help you a great deal.  At the end of the day, Jaws is a screen reader and will reproduce as speech, what you output to your screen.  Cheers!

On 11/11/2020 5:29 am, Vaughn Brown wrote:

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Jaffar was wise to point out that this really is a "word processor thing," not a "screen reader thing," per se.

All of my earlier comments, though focused on MS-Word, are applicable to the analogous constructs in other Word processors as well.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Vaughn Brown

Hi Brian and fellow listers,

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I am using MS Word and will take you up on your advice on using an available template. JFW and Win. 10 are new to me and I appreciate your inputs. Is there a manual in JFW menu where I can look up key commands? For example there are specific key commands for word count and font. The JFW help using insert H seems to generate the more basic commands.

Thank you, again!

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Vaughn,

While I have not really developed my skills in this area, I think you may be looking to use a sound scheme in JAWS that will help you hear font changes while you review your paper. If you are simply having the problem of turning in your papers with accidental use of various fonts, you can always do a final font attribute change at the end of your paper. That is, you could finish typing the paper, then go back and select all text and select the font size and style you want.  You may need to subsequently format any section headings, but at least you know all the font is unified.  One of my frustrations with Word is that it will sometimes change my default font if I use a bulleted list in a document. I havent’ figured out a way to stop this behavior yet, so I know to go back at the end and select all text and reset it to the font I want.

If your problem is that you are asking for others to edit your papers and they are doing so by changing font color or style or making parenthetical notes to you, you might want to use a sound scheme to have JAWS alert you to each change.  Alternatively, you can tell them to use the Track Changes feature in Word so you can move from one edit to the next.

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Vaughn,

           What follows is both lecture and attempt to help, and the lecture is a part of that attempt.

           From what you've written, I am guessing that you may have recently gone blind and be very new to JAWS or any screen reader.  I have some "rules" you need to follow that will make your life much, much easier when dealing with all things computer related under Windows 10, or any operating system really.

Rule 1.  When you are trying to get a specific thing to occur, particularly if uncertain, take the time to think about what should be controlling that specific thing.  You gave an excellent example, getting Word Count or determining the font currently in use.   There will be three levels that will always be involved for you to think about, but only one of the three is going to be responsible for "the thing" no matter what it is.
                     a) Windows 10
                     b) Your Screen Reader
                     c) Your application program (word processor, web browser, software updater utility, etc., etc., etc.)

In this case, before I answer (and I'm sure you probably know it now), which of those three is most likely to handle the word count and font information:  the application program, in this case MS-Word.  So if you're looking for documentation regarding keyboard shortcuts to get this information, you'd want to do web searches on Microsoft Word Keyboard Shortcuts.  And Microsoft is great about documenting keyboard shortcuts for every program it produces in detail.  Click through on this link for a DuckDuckGo.com web search on MS-Word Keyboard Shortcuts and I will be shocked if the first result for you isn't the same as it is for me:

Keyboard shortcuts in Word - Office Support
along with a long list of third party "cheat sheets" on MS-Word keyboard shortcuts.  If you search that page on Font, the first thing you hit under the Formatting Characters section is for bringing up the Font Dialog with either one of these two shortcuts:  CTRL+D or CTRL+SHIFT+F.
A DuckDuckGo web search on "Word 2016" Word Count keyboard shortcut returns the following as its first result:

Is there a keyboard shortcut for word count?

which has the magic shortcut: CTRL+SHIFT+G for bringing up the Word Count dialog.

Web searches for a specific program, the specific thing you're trying to do, and the phrase "keyboard shortcut" generally take you straight to documentation with exactly that in it.

Every screen reader has documentation regarding its own keyboard shortcuts, and that particular documentation is not only downloadable, but is generally available in the Help menu for your screen reader.  I'm not running JAWS on this machine and I don't remember the keyboard shortcut sequence to bring up the JAWS help menu, but I know they have something in it with regard to the screen reader keyboard shortcuts as I've brought up same many times when working with clients.  That document opens in your web browser and is quite a bit more comprehensive in what it gives you.

Essentially, if you know the thing you're trying to do is likely controlled by Windows 10, web searching on "Windows 10" plus what it is you're trying to do plus the phrase "keyboard shortcut" is likely to find it.  Substitute JAWS for Windows 10 when it's a screen reader function of JAWS, or the program name as appropriate when it's the application.  This is absolutely the fastest way to find this information independently when you're in a hurry.

Rule 2:  If you didn't find what you were looking for, review rule one and try one of the other "levels" to look at if you think you may have chosen the incorrect one the first time around.

Rule 3:  If Rule 1 and Rule 2 come up empty, ask here or elsewhere.

Because you say you are new to Windows 10, you may be interested in also joining the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group:

and/or the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group:

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello, If you hold down the insert key and then press f1 twice,  JAWS should bring up its documentaation for the current application. Also, JAWS does have a tool that looks for font changes extra spaces and afew other things. I can't remember the exact tool name but I believe it can be enabled with INSERT space followed by a.
HTH!

On Nov 10, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Vaughn Brown <jazzdressage@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Mike B

I think what you want to change is your Speech and Sounds scheme.  Which one you want to use, I don't know but, it's a pretty easy task to switch schemes, steps below.
While in Word press, Insert, Alt + S, to open a list of schemes but, make note of which one that's highlighted so you can go back to it if you need to.

Arrow up and down and pick one you want to try and press enter.  Sometimes turning off Jaws and restarting is necessary to make the change take affect.

There are several schemes to pick from but, it shouldn't take very long to experiment with them to get an idea what they're all about just for future reference.  These schemes are availble for all programs if you ever feel the need to experiment with another program.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7:41 PM

Hello, If you hold down the insert key and then press f1 twice,  JAWS should bring up its documentaation for the current application. Also, JAWS does have a tool that looks for font changes extra spaces and afew other things. I can't remember the exact tool name but I believe it can be enabled with INSERT space followed by a.
HTH!

On Nov 10, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Vaughn Brown <jazzdressage@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Vaughn Brown

Mike! This is awesome! This opens up a whole new world! I really appreciate you telling us this secret…

Best,

Vaughn

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7:41 PM

Hello, If you hold down the insert key and then press f1 twice,  JAWS should bring up its documentaation for the current application. Also, JAWS does have a tool that looks for font changes extra spaces and afew other things. I can't remember the exact tool name but I believe it can be enabled with INSERT space followed by a.

HTH!

On Nov 10, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Vaughn Brown <jazzdressage@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Vaughn Brown

Jonathan, thank you! You and some other listers are truly being helpful.

Vaughn

Hello, If you hold down the insert key and then press f1 twice,  JAWS should bring up its documentaation for the current application. Also, JAWS does have a tool that looks for font changes extra spaces and afew other things. I can't remember the exact tool name but I believe it can be enabled with INSERT space followed by a.

HTH!

On Nov 10, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Vaughn Brown <jazzdressage@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Justin Williams

Text analyzer is also a way to read through documents and hear everything.

Use it by hitting insert spacebar a.

A quick way of doing it is to use alt windows I.

I'm not sure which way is better of the two.

Another trick I used is to stop, and edit the paper when I had a writers block, or when I needed a break from writing it.

Like for example, I would just write a few paragraphs or a page or two, then when I got tired of writing, I would edit it so I didn't have so much editing to do in the end of the paper.

You can also copy and paste formatting when you have similar section of a document that need to be formatted the same.

Thanks,

Justin

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7:41 PM

Hello, If you hold down the insert key and then press f1 twice,  JAWS should bring up its documentaation for the current application. Also, JAWS does have a tool that looks for font changes extra spaces and afew other things. I can't remember the exact tool name but I believe it can be enabled with INSERT space followed by a.

HTH!

On Nov 10, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Vaughn Brown <jazzdressage@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am working on college papers but the feedback I’m getting includes font changes, parenthesis, etc. Is there a setting in JFW 2021 that will assist me more independently edit my papers?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Ashleigh Piccinino

Press the JAWS key—the insert key on the numberpad—key 0/the long horizontal one at the bottom of the pad—and the letter w. Again that’s JAWS and the letter w while in Word. Hope this helps. If you’re using a laptop, I’d think the caps lock key and w would do the same thing/caps lock is JAWS key on laptops