moderated Restoring Classic ALT+TAB behavior in Windows 10, Version 20H2

Marie <scribbles.mn@...>

Thanks Mike,
Now that I read this, I sort of remember seeing it before. At the time, I was probably not having the problem but will now remember the fix.
Marie

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 3:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Restoring Classic ALT+TAB behavior in Windows 10, Version 20H2

Hi Marie,

Read the following and see if it'll help.

I would encourage you, with any browser, to stop using, ALT + F4, to exit it if you want to exit all windows it might have open in one fell swoop.
ALT+F4 closes the window that is currently active, but if you have 10 Edge windows open it won't close the other 9.
Pressing, ALT + F, then pressing, C, when in Edge, closes Edge.
Every window that Edge has open will close if you use the, ALT + F then, C, keystroke in any given Edge window that has focus.
This works similarly in all Chromium-based browsers, though what comes after the, ALT + F, part varies.  It's, C, in Edge,  and, X, in Chrome, Brave &
Vivaldi.
Microsoft always has to be slightly different!
Brian

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 10:19 AM

I set this when your post was first on the list and it worked for quite a while. However, recently it once again sycles through the tabs for Edge. I just double checked my settings and it absolutely says to show only open windows.
And this is on three machines so I am sort of stumped. Any suggestions?
Marie

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:25 AM
Subject: Restoring Classic ALT+TAB behavior in Windows 10, Version 20H2

See article:  [Tip] Disable and Remove Microsoft Edge Tabs Showing in ALT+Tab Screen in Windows 10

If you want to cut straight to the chase, search the page for "Open Settings" which are the first two words of Step 1 in the step-by-step instructions.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B.

Hi Marie,

Read the following and see if it'll help.

I would encourage you, with any browser, to stop using, ALT + F4, to exit it if you want to exit all windows it might have open in one fell swoop. 
ALT+F4 closes the window that is currently active, but if you have 10 Edge windows open it won't close the other 9. 
Pressing, ALT + F, then pressing, C, when in Edge, closes Edge. 
Every window that Edge has open will close if you use the, ALT + F then, C, keystroke in any given Edge window that has focus. 
This works similarly in all Chromium-based browsers, though what comes after the, ALT + F, part varies.  It's, C, in Edge,  and, X, in Chrome, Brave &
Vivaldi. 
Microsoft always has to be slightly different! 
Brian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 10:19 AM

I set this when your post was first on the list and it worked for quite a while. However, recently it once again sycles through the tabs for Edge. I just double checked my settings and it absolutely says to show only open windows.
Marie

See article:  [Tip] Disable and Remove Microsoft Edge Tabs Showing in ALT+Tab Screen in Windows 10

If you want to cut straight to the chase, search the page for "Open Settings" which are the first two words of Step 1 in the step-by-step instructions.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Marie <scribbles.mn@...>

Marie

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
A more reliable way to locate running programs via braille commands is going to Taskbar (Windows+T) or opening Task View (Windows+Tab).
-
A repeat of Joseph Lee's instructions for users of Braille Commands and a note about what I post:  I never presume those are being used.

It's not that I don't realize that these exist, but the I've never yet had a blind client that uses them, so I always presume regular keyboard use as a default state.  I also presume that anyone using a non-standard interface (and, yes, that is non-standard) will be aware that this sometimes imposes constraints not otherwise present, what those constraints are, and, in most cases, what the workarounds are, if any exist.

I aim what I post at the dead center of the bell curve in the audience I'm addressing.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

~ Lawrence Krauss

Sharon

Yea, exactly. I can alt-tab between only two windows at a time, but no more than two windows.

So it works, but not on more than two windows.

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:58 AM

Hi there. I wonder if this will make a difference on how braille displays handle alt tabbing. Currently, you can only use the ALT tab keystroke to move between two open programs. If there are more, you can’t locate them with the display unless you use the Insert plus F10 keystroke. That may not work sometimes either.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:25 AM

See article:  [Tip] Disable and Remove Microsoft Edge Tabs Showing in ALT+Tab Screen in Windows 10

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Hi,

A more reliable way to locate running programs via braille commands is going to Taskbar (Windows+T) or opening Task View (Windows+Tab).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:58 AM

Hi there. I wonder if this will make a difference on how braille displays handle alt tabbing. Currently, you can only use the ALT tab keystroke to move between two open programs. If there are more, you can’t locate them with the display unless you use the Insert plus F10 keystroke. That may not work sometimes either.

See article:  [Tip] Disable and Remove Microsoft Edge Tabs Showing in ALT+Tab Screen in Windows 10

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Michael Mote

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

--

~ Lawrence Krauss