Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 9:01 AM
Subject: can't access web pages

I can’t access certain web pages with jaws.  I click on a page, get there, make sure I have a PC cursor, refresh the page and look for the article I want.  Jaws tells me “read only”  or there are no headings on the page.  I arrow down and get nothing but the word blank.  Some pages work fine but it seems the ones I really want get the blank reaction.  Is there a solution to this?  JB

Stan Holdeman

Judith: I am having this problem also. Sometimes I can make some progress by tabbing several times.

I am using windows 7, jaws 17 latest, and Google Chrome. I have tried going back to jaws 16 and back to IE 11. Same problems.
Stan

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 6:01 AM

I can’t access certain web pages with jaws.  I click on a page, get there, make sure I have a PC cursor, refresh the page and look for the article I want.  Jaws tells me “read only”  or there are no headings on the page.  I arrow down and get nothing but the word blank.  Some pages work fine but it seems the ones I really want get the blank reaction.  Is there a solution to this?  JB

Dale Heltzer

This *may not be what you’re experiencing, but when I get what JAWS sees as a blank page, Ihave used Quick OCR to find text on the page, then left mouse-clicked on the recognized text, and then JAWS will read the page in the usual way.

Maria Campbell

Some times what I call busy web pages with many links take a lot of time to load and JAWS says blank till the page is loaded.
One little trick I try is to press the insert plus f10 keys to open the list of open windows.  I then find the internet page I want in the list, enter on it, and more often than not JAWS works correctly.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
--Attributed to Jimi Hendrix

On 3/21/2016 8:01 AM, judith bron wrote:

I can’t access certain web pages with jaws.  I click on a page, get there, make sure I have a PC cursor, refresh the page and look for the article I want.  Jaws tells me “read only”  or there are no headings on the page.  I arrow down and get nothing but the word blank.  Some pages work fine but it seems the ones I really want get the blank reaction.  Is there a solution to this?  JB

judith bron

I’m also using windows 7 and Jaws 16 with Google chrome.  I’ll try tabbing and see what happens.  Sometimes alt tabbing back to the email or desktop gives me better access but reading an entire article is as much a dream as opening a good book.  Judith

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 6:01 AM

I can’t access certain web pages with jaws.  I click on a page, get there, make sure I have a PC cursor, refresh the page and look for the article I want.  Jaws tells me “read only”  or there are no headings on the page.  I arrow down and get nothing but the word blank.  Some pages work fine but it seems the ones I really want get the blank reaction.  Is there a solution to this?  JB

judith bron

Thanks!  That sounds like a goody.

[...]

Douglas C. DeCamp

Judith,
 This also started happening to me about a week ago using the Chrome browser.  I have found if I tab once or twice it will get me back to the web page.  I don't know what is causing this.  I tried rolling back the latest JAWS 17 update, but no change.  I finally gave up and switched back to using IE for my default browser.  I also had my son take a look at the screen on some of these & he does not see anything out of the ordinary.  I have found this problem to be particularly bad with the NY Times and Amazon pages.
I use Win 7 Home Premium, latest JAWS 17, & latest Chrome browser.
Thx,
DD

I can’t access certain web pages with jaws.  I click on a page, get there, make sure I have a PC cursor, refresh the page and look for the article I want.  Jaws tells me “read only”  or there are no headings on the page.  I arrow down and get nothing but the word blank.  Some pages work fine but it seems the ones I really want get the blank reaction.  Is there a solution to this?  JB

Gerald Levy

It depends.  Sometimes, JAWS recognizes the page as being blank because it has not loaded completely and so convenient OCR won’t recognize it, either.

Gerald

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 10:09 AM

This *may not be what you’re experiencing, but when I get what JAWS sees as a blank page, Ihave used Quick OCR to find text on the page, then left mouse-clicked on the recognized text, and then JAWS will read the page in the usual way.

Elaine Young <hidden_spring@...>

I too have had this problem and have been very interested in this thread. But I am too much of a novice. Would someone kindly, off list if preferred, tell me how to do a quick OCR? I understand the term "OCR" but not what it has to do with Jaws.

Sorry for my inadequate knowledge. frown.

Elaine

On 3/21/2016 10:09 AM, Dale Heltzer wrote:

This *may not be what you’re experiencing, but when I get what JAWS sees as a blank page, Ihave used Quick OCR to find text on the page, then left mouse-clicked on the recognized text, and then JAWS will read the page in the usual way.

No virus found in this message.

Whatzbuzzing
Ronda Rousey Makes Jaws Drop In Nothing But Body Paint
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3166/56f01636c8dde16126334mp21vuc

--
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Guys,

In IE11, when this happens, I usually wait a little bit thein I go to the tool menu and add the webpage to compatibility view. Alt T, B tab to add then to close then wit for the page to automatically refresh.

[...]

David Ingram

Sometimes this happens when using https://then the address that you want to go to.  If you were to type http:// then the address that you want to go to, do you still get that message that says can’t display web page? I’m trying to figure this out because I only experience this when using the s after typing https:// then typing the address that I want to go to!  It doesn’t happen other wise.