moderated Unable to install Stascom software that Mike B. Spoke of yesterday

Jim Weiss

All,
The other day Mike wrote the list about a program called Stascom and I liked some of the features. I downloaded the installer but I can’t complete the installation. The best I can tell is Windows Defender is blocking and putting the executable in quarantine. I am running Windows 10 version 2004 and it is fully patched as of 10/7/2020 and JAWS 2020 (the August version). The software installs but on the first run I get a message that the process was blocked and my only option is “OK”. If I navigate to the directory and run the program I get the same message and the executable disappears.
Any help is appreciated. I am very new to Win 10.
Thanks,
Jim

Just so we're 100% clear, you're talking about Stascom 2019.4, software by Jacques Stassen, downloadable from here:  https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html?

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

T. Civitello

I haven't tried to install the program on my Win 10 PC yet but do intend to do so. Installed it on my Win 7 PC yesterday with no problems. Jaws hasn't lost focus since. Neat program Says good night Tom at night and says Windows is shutting down . Hope that works on Win 10. In the morning it says good morning tom, Stascom at your service. Tom

The other day Mike wrote the list about a program called Stascom and I liked some of the features. I downloaded the installer but I can’t complete the installation. The best I can tell is Windows Defender is blocking and putting the executable in quarantine. I am running Windows 10 version 2004 and it is fully patched as of 10/7/2020 and JAWS 2020 (the August version). The software installs but on the first run I get a message that the process was blocked and my only option is “OK”. If I navigate to the directory and run the program I get the same message and the executable disappears.
Any help is appreciated. I am very new to Win 10.
Thanks,
Jim

I just installed the 2019.4 version of Stascom under Windows 10 Version 2004 Home, 64-bit, Build 19041.508 with no difficulty and no flagging from Windows Security beyond the usual UAC asking if I wanted to run it.

After it finishes installing, it asks if you want to run the First Run Wizard, to which I answered yes, and that hangs for a very long time, probably around 40 seconds to 1 minute, after a command prompt screen pops up right after answering yes and before the wizard itself actually begins running and asking you questions with voice prompts.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B.

Hi Jim,

How about if you tell Defender to ignore the installer?  Also, do you have your system set to install apps from outside the MS Store?  Steps for both are below:

From: Brian Vogel
This question gets asked every once in a while, so having a dedicated topic in the archive seems prudent.  Credit to Joseph Lee for the step-by-step instructions,
which I have modified ever so slightly.
Adding & Removing Scan Exclusions in Windows Defender Security Center

The following steps were created using the Windows 10 Version 1803 version of Windows Defender Security Center:

list of 6 items
1. Open Windows Defender Security Center.
2. Navigate to Virus & threat protection pane then activate the Virus & threat protection settings link then activate the Add or remove exclusions link.

3. Select Add an exclusion.
4. Select File or Folder depending on what you wish to exclude.  Options for Process or a File type are also presented, but these are used relatively rarely.

5. Navigate to the file and/or folder where Defender is being told to skip scanning and press Enter.
6. When User Account Control appears, respond Yes to continue.
list end

If you wish to remove something from the exclusions list, follow steps 1 thru 3, but then select an item in the exclusions list, then click “Remove” and
respond Yes when UAC appears.

End of file app store steps are below.

To change your app download and installation options  to something other than the Microsoft Store do the following:

1. Windows + I, for settings and tab 1 time to, System.

2. Right arrow to, Apps,  press enter, and tab 1 time into the list of categories.

3. The first item in the list is, Apps and Features, press enter on this, and tab 1 time to the app install options combobox.

4. Press, Alt + down arrow, to open the combobox.
There are four options:
1. only from the Microsoft Store.

2. Anywhere, but warn me if it's not from the Microsoft store.

3. anywhere but let me know if there is a comparable app in the Microsoft store.

 4. Anywhere.

5. Arrow up / down to the option you want and press enter.  Press, Alt + F4, to close and just to make sure your settings change takes effect, reboot your
computer.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

The other day Mike wrote the list about a program called Stascom and I liked some of the features.  I downloaded the installer but I can’t complete the installation.  The best I can tell is Windows Defender is blocking and putting the executable in quarantine.  I am running Windows 10 version 2004 and it is fully patched as of 10/7/2020 and JAWS 2020 (the August version).  The software installs but on the first run I get a message that the process was blocked and my only option is “OK”.  If I navigate to the directory and run the program I get the same message and the executable disappears.
Any help is appreciated.  I am very new to Win 10.
Thanks,
Jim

Just as an aside, but I think it's an important one, Stascom 2019.4 is the final version of that software.  It is no longer supported, per the statement on the developer's page: "Stascom 2019.4 is the final version of the program. Due to other commitments I will not be able to add additional functionality to the package. This also means that I will not be providing e-mail support for the program."

Depending on exactly how it does what it does, it could eventually break, and if it does that's the end of the road.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jim Weiss

Thanks Mike and Brian.
Brian:  Yes, that is the exact software I was referring to.  Thanks for the update on its EOS and EOL.  That is sad news as this sounded like a nifty little tool, I will have to keep an eye out for a replacement.
Mike:  Thanks for the ideas and instructions.  I am very new to Windows 10.  I will give them a try just to see if I can get it installed, but based on Brian’s last comment it sounds futile.

Regards,
Jim
Jim Weiss

“When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.  So, live your life that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice!” | Unknown Native American

On Oct 7, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Just as an aside, but I think it's an important one, Stascom 2019.4 is the final version of that software.  It is no longer supported, per the statement on the developer's page: "Stascom 2019.4 is the final version of the program. Due to other commitments I will not be able to add additional functionality to the package. This also means that I will not be providing e-mail support for the program."

Depending on exactly how it does what it does, it could eventually break, and if it does that's the end of the road.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Chris Chaffin

Hi Jim,

I do not know why you are having problems installing the software, but I can let you know that I am running Stascom on the latest version of Windows 10. without a problem.
And you are correct, it is a good little utility.

Chris

On Oct 7, 2020, at 6:28 PM, Jim Weiss via groups.io <jimweiss72@...> wrote:

[...]

james hooper

I was trying to install the program and I got a message saying windows protected your pc is their a work around?

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Jim. Make sure that your Windows is set to install software from anywhere, under Apps and Features.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Greetings my friend I looked at that and it says anywhere and still getting the message.

[...]

Randy Barnett <blindmansbluff09@...>

Disable your anti-virus software then install the program then re-enable it.

On 10/7/2020 4:14 PM, james hooper wrote:

[...]

Then, try going into Windows Security, App and Browser Control, Reputation-based settings, turn off

Check apps and files

and

Potentially unwanted app blocking‑

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

I run Stascom on 3 Windows 10 computers, 1 Pro and 2 Home, with no problems.

[...]

Thank you for the suggestions.  It was being quarantined.  It was being recognized as a PUA.  I marked it as safe and the installation was successful.
Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Jim
Jim Weiss

“Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” | Henry Ford