Anyone know how to change the Windows Update choices in Windows 10

Dave Durber

Hello everyone:

In previous versions of Windows, you were able to choose how you wanted updates to be performed. I understand, that in Windows 10, this function is not readily available.

I am currently using Windows 7 Professional. I have Windows Update set to "Check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them". I have been lead to believe that in Windows 10, by default, Microsoft is forcing users of Windows to have updates automatically installed, regardless of any consequences or problems these updates might or might not cause the end user.

For managers of I T departments and network administrators, this must present one hell of a continuous headache, in controlling what updates are applied to systems throughout their networks and trying to prevent problems and difficulties occurring on any of their systems.

If anyone on this list knows, how to invoke the function in Windows 10 which was available in previous versions of Windows, I would be very interested in knowing about it, as this is one of the reasons why I am very reluctant to update to Windows 10.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Gerald Levy

Unfortunately, in Windows 10, updates are applied automatically, and there is apparently no way for the end user to change this behavior as in Windows 7. That's one reason why I will not update to Windows 10 anytime soon. It seems that every time MS releases a new update to Windows 10,there is soon a flurry of posts on this and other lists about all the problems it causes with JAWS or Outlook or other programs. So stick with Windows 7 as long as you can.

Gerald

[...]

Thank you Gerald, I Will, on the basis, "if it works, don't change it.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Jason White

You can postpone updates if you're running Windows 10 Pro, but not if you
have Windows 10 Home.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Problem is, it's not always easy to know when an app like Adobe Reader is
updating. Some apps have update services which run in the background, and
Windows 10 doesn't tell you when apps are updating, only Windows itself.
Part of this question was: How can we tell when apps for Windows are
updating, and which are slowdowns caused by these updates, and which
slowdowns are caused by Windows and apps not playing nice with JAWS and with
CPU resources.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

As Jason pointed out, if you have Windows 10 Professional you can postpone updates, I believe for several months. I have not found any major issues with any of the Windows 10 updates including major ones like the anniversary update last fall, creator's update in March/April and now the Fall Creator's update.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Andrew Summers

Keep in mind, Microsoft is stopping the free up-date to windows 10 even if you have a screen reader on your computer.

Andrew

[...]

Task Manager can show you details of CPU usage, including which processes
are consuming the most CPU time.

If it's a question about what is slowing down a system, then you really need
to use analysis tools such as Task Manager.

I've never known updates occurring in the background to affect performance
significantly. However, I'm using modern, fast machines at home and at work.

[...]

That's true if a person has a decent Internet connection. But if one is in a
rural area with slow Internet, or in a hotel with slow WiFi, Downloading
updates can significantly eat into bandwidth.

[...]

Bandwidth, certainly, but not CPU or I/O performance.

PS: I appreciate the approximately 240 megabits per second downstream speed
that I'm getting over my cable connection at the moment. It's much better
than the ADSL line that I used to have, not to mention the dial-up modems
before that.