Topics

moderated I'm encountering a very strange sound card issue with trying to switch JAWS to an internal card.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I have no idea what’s going on. Yesterday I purchased a Yeti USB mic.  It has a built in sound card, so I can route other sounds to it. I thought it would be nice to listen to music through the Yeti and have JAWS come out my external card. Well, it would be nice, except it doesn’t work. I tried this, and JAWS goes silent. I have to set it to either the Yeti or the default device to get speech back. If I change the Windows default sound to my internal card, all is well.

Any ideas?

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

Richard Turner

It is early in the morning, so I may just be a little dense, you said: “I thought it would be nice to listen to music through the Yeti and have JAWS come out my external card.”,  but isn’t the Yeti your external card?

Or do you have a different external card?

If you listen to music through the Yeti, wouldn’t you use the default internal sound card for Jaws?

Also confused,

Richard

I have no idea what’s going on. Yesterday I purchased a Yeti USB mic.  It has a built in sound card, so I can route other sounds to it. I thought it would be nice to listen to music through the Yeti and have JAWS come out my external card. Well, it would be nice, except it doesn’t work. I tried this, and JAWS goes silent. I have to set it to either the Yeti or the default device to get speech back. If I change the Windows default sound to my internal card, all is well.

Any ideas?

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

Kevin Minor

Hi Richard.

You’re right about being confused. I want to hear music through the Yeti, and JAWS through the built in sound card in my laptop. In any case, it doesn’t work, at least I can’t figure what’s wrong.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

I have no idea what’s going on. Yesterday I purchased a Yeti USB mic.  It has a built in sound card, so I can route other sounds to it. I thought it would be nice to listen to music through the Yeti and have JAWS come out my external card. Well, it would be nice, except it doesn’t work. I tried this, and JAWS goes silent. I have to set it to either the Yeti or the default device to get speech back. If I change the Windows default sound to my internal card, all is well.

Any ideas?

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

Richard Turner

Which Jaws synthesizer and voice are you using?

[...]

I’m using the latest JAWS 2020, Eloquence, I think Reed. It’s with Windows 10 2004, latest build.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Kevin,

To my knowledge, which isn't much, when playing music or system sounds they have to come through the computers internal default soundcard.  I've never been able to figure out how to make music and system sounds use the external soundcard so Jaws could be the only thing using the default internal soundcard.  If someone can tell us how to do this I would be eternally grateful as well.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Mike,  I have done this, but I just went through my Control Panel to find how I did this, but I am baffled.  Sucks getting old.

Love in Christ
Marty

To my knowledge, which isn't much, when playing music or system sounds they have to come through the computers internal default soundcard.  I've never been able to figure out how to make music and system sounds use the external soundcard so Jaws could be the only thing using the default internal soundcard.  If someone can tell us how to do this I would be eternally grateful as well.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I’m using the latest JAWS 2020, Eloquence, I think Reed. It’s with Windows 10 2004, latest build.

Kevin and Jilly the flying doggie

Which Jaws synthesizer and voice are you using?

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert