Topics

moderated PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 05:45 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
My philosophy is always help people understand the dilemma you are in and see if they can agree to a work around before raising a stink about something.
-
On that we're in complete agreement.  The old adage (who's intent I understand, even if my reaction to the literal is, "Ewwwwwwww!"), "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar," applies.

I have been put in the position where I had to raise a very big stink, and my reputation for being willing to work with anyone for a long while, but if you push me past those limits there will be hell to pay, has served me well in work and in life.  I was very glad I learned the lesson to insist, and not nicely, but absolutely firmly, when you are right because it has proven pivotal in advocating for the care of my Mom, who is now in the late stages of dementia.  The managers of her facility, with whom I have a cordial relationship, decided to push me too far, once.  After a call to the Vice President of the organization promptly afterward, that apology came, along with the action I required, in less than two hours.

If you "go thermonuclear" well before that would be necessary all you get is a bad reputation.  Always start out with cooperation and kindness, even going farther along that road than you might like, but if you don't get the result that you know is right, be prepared to fight, swiftly and ferociously if necessary.

No one can take advantage of you.  You allow it.  You teach people how to treat you.

~ Dawn Bugni

No one can take advantage of you without your permission.

~ Ann Landers

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Abraham Sweiss

In my case, I have direct access to the operations team that manages the systems for me. So all I need to do is email them.
You may want to develop a relationship with those individuals at your company to help streamline things.

Thanks,abraham 

On Aug 3, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Brian, you are right.   I pulled in a  number of people to get clearance to just call my local tech guy to help when I needed admin rights for something JAWS related. This was a lot easier when in the office, as I could just pop over to his desk with my laptop and have him type in his credentials. Feels like a much bigger to do if I have to set up a remote connection now, so I just haven’t dealt with it as of late.  My philosophy is always help people understand the dilemma you are in and see if they can agree to a work around before raising a stink about something.  In my case, I was trying to do the right think for my local guy by calling the helpdesk and getting them to log a ticket to engage the local guy. That’s what they want all other employees to do, but this was so difficult with a help desk that had no idea what JAWS is, so I just asked the manager of that team how I could do it in a more effective way.  Part of it is not being afraid to reach out to people higher up in an organization and just politely say that you are trying to do the right thing and figure out a better process.  I’ve also found out who our ADA compliance offers is within HR and will copy her on stuff so I have her backing. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 12:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 02:04 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:

I don’t have admin privileges to make some setting change for it to fully install.

-
Another battle I've had to engage in for multiple users of assistive technology (AT) of all sorts.  AT tends to need to update on a relatively frequent basis, and will most often do so on its own, but that feature is useless if the end-user cannot rely on it.

On some occasions, I have managed to get IT to create a special admin account where the login to same is tracked that allows the user to do the update when it comes along, and on others have made the IT department have a "drop everything now" policy (informal, of course) where the user could call with regard to an AT update and it would go to the top of the list.  These things are generally so quick and easy that if IT will not change its formal policies they are often willing to be a lot more flexible about providing direct service when needed.  It's not like it's every other day, either, but updates to AT usually aren't "purely decorative" in nature.

And the excuse, "Well, you could do your job before without {insert new feature that would make you so much faster and more efficient}," generally doesn't fly if your boss and, if needed, HR are behind you.   Reasonable accommodations are just that, and when a technology pops up that makes work life "more reasonable" and poses no credible security threat or other impediment (e.g., lack of HIPAA compliance), at least here in the USA providing same is legally obligatory.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Brian, you are right.   I pulled in a  number of people to get clearance to just call my local tech guy to help when I needed admin rights for something JAWS related. This was a lot easier when in the office, as I could just pop over to his desk with my laptop and have him type in his credentials. Feels like a much bigger to do if I have to set up a remote connection now, so I just haven’t dealt with it as of late.  My philosophy is always help people understand the dilemma you are in and see if they can agree to a work around before raising a stink about something.  In my case, I was trying to do the right think for my local guy by calling the helpdesk and getting them to log a ticket to engage the local guy. That’s what they want all other employees to do, but this was so difficult with a help desk that had no idea what JAWS is, so I just asked the manager of that team how I could do it in a more effective way.  Part of it is not being afraid to reach out to people higher up in an organization and just politely say that you are trying to do the right thing and figure out a better process.  I’ve also found out who our ADA compliance offers is within HR and will copy her on stuff so I have her backing. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 12:18 PM

I don’t have admin privileges to make some setting change for it to fully install.

-
Another battle I've had to engage in for multiple users of assistive technology (AT) of all sorts.  AT tends to need to update on a relatively frequent basis, and will most often do so on its own, but that feature is useless if the end-user cannot rely on it.

On some occasions, I have managed to get IT to create a special admin account where the login to same is tracked that allows the user to do the update when it comes along, and on others have made the IT department have a "drop everything now" policy (informal, of course) where the user could call with regard to an AT update and it would go to the top of the list.  These things are generally so quick and easy that if IT will not change its formal policies they are often willing to be a lot more flexible about providing direct service when needed.  It's not like it's every other day, either, but updates to AT usually aren't "purely decorative" in nature.

And the excuse, "Well, you could do your job before without {insert new feature that would make you so much faster and more efficient}," generally doesn't fly if your boss and, if needed, HR are behind you.   Reasonable accommodations are just that, and when a technology pops up that makes work life "more reasonable" and poses no credible security threat or other impediment (e.g., lack of HIPAA compliance), at least here in the USA providing same is legally obligatory.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

-

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Van Lant, Robin

I work for a large US bank and we have tight firewalls.   Our firewall settings have prevented the FTP connections needed for me to do the standard updates and for FS reader to download books.  I reached out to our firewall management team and they set up a session where I walked through what I was trying to do with JAWS and they watched the internet traffic to see the errors.   I know they were putting in a request for an exemption on the FS addresses.  I just tried again and now I can get FS Reader to download a book, but now ran into the issue that I don’t have admin privileges to make some setting change for it to fully install.  I havent’ tried Picture Smart to understand what the issue is there. FS support is the one who helped me understand that FS Reader was trying to make an FTP connection. 

So, I recommend seeing if your firewall management team would be willing to do as I did and watch while you try to engage Picture Smart and  such so they can see what the hiccup is and put in a request for the adjustment.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fisher
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:42 PM

Hi All. thanks for the various replies. I'm actually based in Western Australia - and do understand some of the privacy implicaitons fo GDPR etc - however I don't believe that will be an issue for me. So from what I here, only whitelisting all outgoing requests is the only answer. I'm assuming the technical people can trace those through the back end so we'll give that a go. Might need to flag that with FS - I would doubt I'm the only person who's come across this issue.

Cheers and stay safe. 
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation

Randy Barnett

Yes I would just talk to IT and freedom scientific I'm sure they do this all the time.

Randy Barnett

On Aug 1, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Mark Fisher <fishsilv@...> wrote:

Hi All. thanks for the various replies. I'm actually based in Western Australia - and do understand some of the privacy implicaitons fo GDPR etc - however I don't believe that will be an issue for me. So from what I here, only whitelisting all outgoing requests is the only answer. I'm assuming the technical people can trace those through the back end so we'll give that a go. Might need to flag that with FS - I would doubt I'm the only person who's come across this issue.

Cheers and stay safe. 
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation

Mark Fisher

Cheers and stay safe. 
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation

Abraham Sweiss

And then there is reality.  If Freedom Scientific servers do not meet the requirements of gdPR, the California privacy  LAWS, Hippa or what ever regulation the company has to comply with,  with the risk of fines up to4% of revenue,  what would it be cheaper to do.  Find a reason to let go of the person demanding this specific  accommodation or risk the fine.

I agree if this specific function of jaws is required to complete the day to day operations of the job the company should work with Freedom Scientific,  but if you do not work with the employer and understand their point of view, then  in the end things will not work out well for everyone.

And I suspect the first question from the employer will be that since picture smart is a relatively new function in jaws, how were you able to get your job done before this feature was added.

Now I do not want to seem argumentative and I am fortunate  to work with a US company that has to comply with all the above regulations and I need to take a class once a year for several of the above regulations to ensure I understand the laws.   And they are able to provide the needed accommodations.  However if that company had to way the risks of their consumers privacy, which law do you think they will follow.

Thanks, Abraham            

Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:09 PM

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:56 PM, Abraham Sweiss wrote:

You need to take into consideration the GDP our rules, the California privacy laws, and what other regulations your company has to follow.

-
I need to take into consideration what I believe to be the presented scenario:  A US company operating out of the US.  

The HR person, in consultation with legal, if needed, can decide what regulations must be followed.  And if there are conflicts (and often there are) which regulation takes precedence.  Having reasonable accommodations in order to perform one's job functions is a huge part of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

But the one thing you don't do is just shrug and not pursue anything because, "that's just the way things are."  The way things are is very often entirely accidental, and, if intentional, those intentions may need to be changed.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:56 PM, Abraham Sweiss wrote:
You need to take into consideration the GDP our rules, the California privacy laws, and what other regulations your company has to follow.
-
I need to take into consideration what I believe to be the presented scenario:  A US company operating out of the US.  

The HR person, in consultation with legal, if needed, can decide what regulations must be followed.  And if there are conflicts (and often there are) which regulation takes precedence.  Having reasonable accommodations in order to perform one's job functions is a huge part of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

But the one thing you don't do is just shrug and not pursue anything because, "that's just the way things are."  The way things are is very often entirely accidental, and, if intentional, those intentions may need to be changed.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Abraham Sweiss

If freedom scientific does not comply with any of the above regulations, your companies security and legal teams will prevent you from using that particular function and jaws

Thanks,abraham 

On Aug 1, 2020, at 12:27 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:55 AM, soner wrote:
What you need to do is to tell the relevant network guys to whitelist
all the outgoing connection requests from Jaws on corporate firewall,
there is no other way.
-
And if they refuse, be prepared to get your boss involved first, then HR if needed.  This is both an "ability to do my job" and an ADA issue.  There is also no credible security risk from allowing JAWS the communication mechanisms it routinely uses.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:55 AM, soner wrote:
there is no other way.
-
And if they refuse, be prepared to get your boss involved first, then HR if needed.  This is both an "ability to do my job" and an ADA issue.  There is also no credible security risk from allowing JAWS the communication mechanisms it routinely uses.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

I work fo the State of Oregon and have never run into this problem and their security is pretty darn tight.
Hopefully the network admins where this person works will be open to white listing those ports.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of soner
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 8:56 AM

Jaws does not have proxy settings of course, at least as of the moment.
What you need to do is to tell the relevant network guys to whitelist all the outgoing connection requests from Jaws on corporate firewall, there is no other way.

On 8/1/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
JAWS has proxy settings?

If so, I never knew I guess. It’s a good idea because yeah, I’m not
surprised that people on corporate machines/networks would run into trouble.
It must have had a special exception at my old workplace.

Sent: July 31, 2020 6:57 PM
Subject: PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

Hi
Trying to find the proxy settings in JAWS 2020 to allow PictureSmart,
Automatic Updates and Research It to work through our corporate firewall.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated - can't find anything in the
documentation.

Cheers and stay safe.
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation

soner

Jaws does not have proxy settings of course, at least as of the moment.
there is no other way.

On 8/1/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
JAWS has proxy settings?

If so, I never knew I guess. It’s a good idea because yeah, I’m not
surprised that people on corporate machines/networks would run into trouble.
It must have had a special exception at my old workplace.

Hi
Trying to find the proxy settings in JAWS 2020 to allow PictureSmart,
Automatic Updates and Research It to work through our corporate firewall.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated - can't find anything in the
documentation.

Cheers and stay safe.
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation

JM Casey

JAWS has proxy settings?

If so, I never knew I guess. It’s a good idea because yeah, I’m not surprised that people on corporate machines/networks would run into trouble. It must have had a special exception at my old workplace.

Hi 
Trying to find the proxy settings in JAWS 2020 to allow PictureSmart, Automatic Updates and Research It to work through our corporate firewall. Any suggestions greatly appreciated - can't find anything in the documentation.

Cheers and stay safe.
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation

Mark Fisher

Hi 
Trying to find the proxy settings in JAWS 2020 to allow PictureSmart, Automatic Updates and Research It to work through our corporate firewall. Any suggestions greatly appreciated - can't find anything in the documentation.

Cheers and stay safe.
--
Mark Fisher
Principal - HR Systems
Water Corporation