Topics

moderated PictureSmart Being Blocked By Corporate Firewall

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 05:45 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
My philosophy is always help people understand the dilemma you are in and see if they can agree to a work around before raising a stink about something.
-
On that we're in complete agreement.  The old adage (who's intent I understand, even if my reaction to the literal is, "Ewwwwwwww!"), "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar," applies.

I have been put in the position where I had to raise a very big stink, and my reputation for being willing to work with anyone for a long while, but if you push me past those limits there will be hell to pay, has served me well in work and in life.  I was very glad I learned the lesson to insist, and not nicely, but absolutely firmly, when you are right because it has proven pivotal in advocating for the care of my Mom, who is now in the late stages of dementia.  The managers of her facility, with whom I have a cordial relationship, decided to push me too far, once.  After a call to the Vice President of the organization promptly afterward, that apology came, along with the action I required, in less than two hours.

If you "go thermonuclear" well before that would be necessary all you get is a bad reputation.  Always start out with cooperation and kindness, even going farther along that road than you might like, but if you don't get the result that you know is right, be prepared to fight, swiftly and ferociously if necessary.

No one can take advantage of you.  You allow it.  You teach people how to treat you.

      ~ Dawn Bugni

No one can take advantage of you without your permission.

       ~ Ann Landers

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Abraham Sweiss

In my case, I have direct access to the operations team that manages the systems for me. So all I need to do is email them.
You may want to develop a relationship with those individuals at your company to help streamline things.

Thanks,abraham

On Aug 3, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Brian, you are right.   I pulled in a  number of people to get clearance to just call my local tech guy to help when I needed admin rights for something JAWS related. This was a lot easier when in the office, as I could just pop over to his desk with my laptop and have him type in his credentials. Feels like a much bigger to do if I have to set up a remote connection now, so I just haven’t dealt with it as of late.  My philosophy is always help people understand the dilemma you are in and see if they can agree to a work around before raising a stink about something.  In my case, I was trying to do the right think for my local guy by calling the helpdesk and getting them to log a ticket to engage the local guy. That’s what they want all other employees to do, but this was so difficult with a help desk that had no idea what JAWS is, so I just asked the manager of that team how I could do it in a more effective way.  Part of it is not being afraid to reach out to people higher up in an organization and just politely say that you are trying to do the right thing and figure out a better process.  I’ve also found out who our ADA compliance offers is within HR and will copy her on stuff so I have her backing.