Providing Remote Support to Sighted Users

Coleman, Alton A <ColemanAA@...>

Good morning,

Is anyone aware of an accessible tool that will allow a JAWS user to provide remote assistance to other sighted non-JAWS users?

I am currently set up with JAWS Tandem Direct, but it does not make sense to me to ask a sighted user who requires my assistance, and knows absolutely nothing about JAWS to go through the process of launching JAWS on their machine just to acquire an access code for a Tandem session, and then having to explain to them how to shutdown JAWS when the session is complete, etc.

Is there a more mainstream utility, such as Windows Remote Assistance through which I can gain access to their workstation and then just launch JAWS myself?

Note that JAWS has already been installed on the 75-100 workstations that I could potentially need to access.

I just want to find a way that the end-user does not have to launch JAWS in order for me to provide real-time remote assistance.

Keep in mind that I am referring to real-time assistance, where I take control of the end-user’s workstation, under their existing credentials and login session, not to be confused with remoting into their computer via Windows Remote Desktop, etc.

Any thoughts or feedback that you might can share would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Jonas Voll

Well, yes Jaws supports RDP, but you will need to license Jaws to support that!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

and
'spam@...'

Coleman, Alton A <ColemanAA@...>

Right, I’m set up with JAWS Remote Access and Tandem Direct, but as I stated, I’m not looking for RDP-type functionality.

Rather, I’m interested in a solution that renders a JAWS Tandem-like session, but without the end-user needing to specifically launch JAWS and configure a Tandem session.

Sighted people sometimes use Windows Remote Assistance or Team Viewer to accomplish this type of access.

Looking for a way to provide remote assistance without the end-user having to be concerned with launching JAWS to establish a Tandem connection.

[...]

What type of functionality are you looking for?

Off the top of my head this is the only way, is this on a LAN?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

Michael Mote

Team Viewer has been known to work in these situations.  It’s not consistent all the time though.  There is also an application called Zoom, that is fully accessible, but I think the user would have to have access to it on their computer as well.

[...]

I assume it is quite likely that there is a Jaws shortcut on the desktop and in my opinion it’s not that much to ask from a sighted user to click that or to tell him to type Windows Key+R and type “Jaws18” or “Jaws2018” and press enter and to then tell him the few mouse clicks he or she would have to do to launch the tandem session.

I understand some people use Team Viewer and while I have used it in terms of getting support people access, I have not used it to gain access and don’t know about how accessible it is once you are connected. I know most remote solutions like GoToMeeting and so on never used to be accessible.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Sieghard, in the grand scheme of things, you are absolutely correct. I just wanted to find out if there was an “easier” way, not that instantiating a Tandem session is at all difficult, but, I just wanted to remove as many steps for the end-user as possible.

Ultimately, to make the process easier for me, LOL.

Thanks to all for the great feedback.

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

I've heard of someone having success with Team Viewer, but not sure if
this is what you are looking for. I've had people take control of my
machine with Team Viewer, but I've never taken control of someone
else's machine, so not sure if it's possible for a blind person to do.

Thanks,

Russell

On 12/15/17, Coleman, Alton A <ColemanAA@gru.com> wrote:
[...]

I understand, but if you use Team Viewer or something else which may be accessible for you, you still have to instruct the other user to run this application and most likely ask them to enter a code of some sort so I really don't think you gain anything. Instead of asking them to run Team Viewer you just ask them to run Jaws, click on a few menus and enter the access code.
If you have to ask them to first go online to download/run team viewer it's way more complicated.
If Jaws was not installed on the system this would be a totally different story, but if all these systems have Jaws installed you are probably overthinking this (not meant in a bad way, but we all do this from time to time). I do woodworking and sometimes I want to built something and I come up with all these ideas and then I run it by another woodworker friend and he tells me to just stop making it so complicated *smile*.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

LOL. Yes, overcomplicating is a common issue of mine, unfortunately.
Thanks for the feedback.

Alex Coleman
TSA 2 (E D GIS)
(352) 393-1507

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Well you could use NVDA Remote and install NVDA on their machines.

Or if you want a truly remote option that doesn’t require a screen reader on the host, then Remote Incident Manager from Serotek is great.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Could you not use TeamViewer and transmit the audio?

It does seem to work from my limited testing.

All the best

Steve

[...]

But a sighted person wouldn’t have JAWS installed, would they?  I think the question is remoting into a sighted person’s own computer, where they don’t use JAWS.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Jason White

If JAWS isn’t installed on the remote system then you can’t access it with JAWS remote desktop.