starting jaws

Don H

Of all the screen readers I have used Jaws takes the longest time to start up. Is there a way to speed it up? Running Jaws 2018 on a Windows 10 system with 8 Gig of RAM.
Thanks

Dave...

Likely not. It's quite a resource hog while loading, and often also a
resource hog while running, as well.

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 06:17
Subject: starting jaws

Of all the screen readers I have used Jaws takes the longest time to
start up. Is there a way to speed it up? Running Jaws 2018 on a
Windows 10 system with 8 Gig of RAM.
Thanks

Douglas C. DeCamp

Don,
I'm not sure what you mean by a long time. My Win 10 Pro I7-6700 with 8 gb memory and an Intel SSD primary drive starts Jaws 2018 in Less than 2 seconds. The ssd probably helps out a fair amount.
--

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Of all the screen readers I have used Jaws takes the longest time to start up. Is there a way to speed it up? Running Jaws 2018 on a Windows 10 system with 8 Gig of RAM.
Thanks

Don H

OK the SSD may help a lot but both Window Eyes and NVDA start in just a few seconds while Jaws takes at least 30 seconds to start. Not a lot of time either way just wondering why Jaws is so much slower.

On 12/12/2017 10:17 AM, Douglas C. DeCamp wrote:
Don,
I'm not sure what you mean by a long time. My Win 10 Pro I7-6700 with 8 gb memory and an Intel SSD primary drive starts Jaws 2018 in Less than 2 seconds. The ssd probably helps out a fair amount.
--
Thanks

Douglas C. DeCamp

Not sure what to think of that. 30 secs seems way too long. Before I installed my SSD I ran with a regular hard drive & I don't remember the Jaws startup time being more than 3 or 4 secs. Don't know if it would do you any good to talk to FS tech support, but maybe. 30 secs does not sound reasonable to me for a 8 gb mem system.

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: starting jaws

OK the SSD may help a lot but both Window Eyes and NVDA start in just a few seconds while Jaws takes at least 30 seconds to start. Not a lot of time either way just wondering why Jaws is so much slower.

On 12/12/2017 10:17 AM, Douglas C. DeCamp wrote:
Don,
--

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don
H

Thanks