From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 06:17
Subject: starting jaws

Of all the screen readers I have used Jaws takes the longest time to
start up. Is there a way to speed it up? Running Jaws 2018 on a
Windows 10 system with 8 Gig of RAM.
Thanks

Douglas C. DeCamp

Don,
I'm not sure what you mean by a long time. My Win 10 Pro I7-6700 with 8 gb memory and an Intel SSD primary drive starts Jaws 2018 in Less than 2 seconds. The ssd probably helps out a fair amount.

Of all the screen readers I have used Jaws takes the longest time to start up. Is there a way to speed it up? Running Jaws 2018 on a Windows 10 system with 8 Gig of RAM.
Thanks

Don H

OK the SSD may help a lot but both Window Eyes and NVDA start in just a few seconds while Jaws takes at least 30 seconds to start. Not a lot of time either way just wondering why Jaws is so much slower.

On 12/12/2017 10:17 AM, Douglas C. DeCamp wrote:
Don,
I'm not sure what you mean by a long time. My Win 10 Pro I7-6700 with 8 gb memory and an Intel SSD primary drive starts Jaws 2018 in Less than 2 seconds. The ssd probably helps out a fair amount.
Of all the screen readers I have used Jaws takes the longest time to start up. Is there a way to speed it up? Running Jaws 2018 on a Windows 10 system with 8 Gig of RAM.
Thanks

Douglas C. DeCamp

Not sure what to think of that. 30 secs seems way too long. Before I installed my SSD I ran with a regular hard drive & I don't remember the Jaws startup time being more than 3 or 4 secs. Don't know if it would do you any good to talk to FS tech support, but maybe. 30 secs does not sound reasonable to me for a 8 gb mem system.