Topics

moderated How can I export my JAWS settings from my laptop into my desktop?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2020 and Windows 10 on both my laptop and my desktop.  I have a lot of JAWS settings configured just right on my laptop (e.g., voice aliases, voice schemes, punctuation tweaks, application preferences, etc.) that I want to import into my desktop.  The idea is that I want JAWS to work on my desktop just the same way as it does on my laptop.  How can I do this?

Thanks,

Richard

Thabo Baseki

Hello Richard!

The following steps should get you all set.

How to Export JAWS Settings from Your Laptop

  1. Launch your JAWS context menu by pressing the JAWS key and J on your laptop.
  2. Use the arrow keys and find utilities.
  3. Find and click on the Import/Export settings menu
  4. Click on the Export Settings…
  5. A dialogue will appear which says “Export all settings”. By default, “all” will be checked, however, you can use your arrow keys to change the selection.
  6. Press next
  7. Now choose the location, such as a USB drive. By default, desktop will be the location.
  8. Tab until you get to the finish button.

How to Import Your Exported settings

  1. Launch your JAWS context menu by pressing the JAWS key and J on your laptop.
  2. Use the arrow keys and find utilities.
  3. Find and click on the Import/Export settings menu
  4. Click on the Import Settings…
  5. A dialogue will appear which says “a backup file”.
  6. Press next

Thanks!