Topics

moderated Strange Excel Issue Regarding Date formatting

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am working on an Excel spreadsheet report for an organization, and have encountered a very strange problem.

Typically, when I enter a date into the first column of a given row, I put 7/08/2020 as an example.  Jaws reads this correctly, and life is good.

However, this evening, for some reason, when I enter 7/08/2020, the column entry reads 8Jul.

I have no idea why this is happening, or what I might have done to change the date formatting.

Any help to get things back to normal here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Mario

Tom, I'm no expert using Excel, but when you're on the cell, if you press control+1 and then press tab, what is the formatting set to? is it different from cells that don't muck with the date as you want it displayed?

when that happens to me, the first thing to check is the formatting.

I am working on an Excel spreadsheet report for an organization, and
have encountered a very strange problem.

Typically, when I enter a date into the first column of a given row, I
put 7/08/2020 as an example.  Jaws reads this correctly, and life is good.

However, this evening, for some reason, when I enter 7/08/2020, the
column entry reads 8Jul.

I have no idea why this is happening, or what I might have done to
change the date formatting.

Any help to get things back to normal here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Mario:

Your analysis was right on.

I did control 1, and found that the date had somehow been switched to custom
format, whatever that means.

I switched it back to "date format", and now, all is well.

How things got switched to custom is a true mystery to me.

Tom Behler