Topics

moderated Edge question

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Since the purpose of these lists is to provide help to each other, and the information provided by Brian was detailed and appeared to be very helpful, I do not see the point in criticizing those who provide valuable assistance. All that does is discourage future contributions, possibly from that person or from others who might have thought of answering a question.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [main@jfw.groups.io] on behalf of Maria Campbell via groups.io [lucky1inct=gmail.com@groups.io]
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Edge question

BS. You are not changing anything by not saying the words, because there is a difference, whether you acknowledge it or not.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...<mailto:lucky1inct@...>

--Edmund Burke

On 7/7/2020 8:35 PM, David Moore wrote:

Why did you have to point out that he can see? I do not think of people being blind or sighted! I do not like it when blind people do this all of the time. I do not even think about my blindness most of the time, and I don’t think of people being blind or sighted. I don’t like labels. people need to stop doing this!

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 7:45 PM Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...<mailto:lucky1inct@...>> wrote:

I insulted you by saying you are sighted and young and smart?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...<mailto:lucky1inct@...>

--Edmund Burke

On 7/7/2020 6:51 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Maria,

Please give up this kind of insulting rhetoric. It's entirely uncalled for.

I really don't care how old, or blind, or not tech savvy you are. That makes not the slightest bit of difference that you, like all of us, have to go with the flow of the technology stream as it goes along. You don't get to stop the world, nor do I, nor does anyone else.

Given my track record here, and on a number of blindness related forums, your statements go beyond just insulting into outrageous. I suggest you think, and a lot more deeply and carefully, before tossing out your baseless frustration at me as though that's justified. It's not, period. So stop.

~ Lawrence Krauss

Marty Hutchings

Brian has certainly helped me out of a jam or two here and I appreciate his help.

Love in Christ
Marty

From: Don Walls [mailto:donwalls@...]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 9:14 PM
Subject: Edge question
I find it disappointing that when Brian has merely stated a reality,
that all of us have to deal with change in tech, that others respond
with mean-spirited criticisms and put-downs. Brian frequently responds
to listers’ problems with thoughtful, helpful responses, and I
appreciate his generous contributions.
Don
Well, It makes a huge difference in how they use a PC and what kind of
experience they have when dealing with changes in how a PC is laid out.
Ignoring the difference between the way we have to deal with PC compared
to a sighted person is naive and and smacks of political correctness.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 7:45 PM Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...> wrote:

I insulted you by saying you are sighted and young and smart?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do
nothing.
--Edmund Burke

On 7/7/2020 6:51 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Maria,

Please give up this kind of insulting rhetoric. It's entirely
uncalled for.

I really don't care how old, or blind, or not tech savvy you are.
That makes not the slightest bit of difference that you, like all
of us, have to go with the flow of the technology stream as it
goes along. You don't get to stop the world, nor do I, nor does
anyone else.

Given my track record here, and on a number of blindness related
forums, your statements go beyond just insulting into
outrageous. I suggest you think, and a lot more deeply and
carefully, before tossing out your baseless frustration at me as
though that's justified. It's not, period. So stop.

/The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to
overcome it./
~ Lawrence Krauss

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  Must be the heat or frustration with Corona but we are all so touchy and sensitive.  For me I think we should protest the game “Blind Man’s Bluff”.  Lol  (Kidding, of course)  😊

Dan

[...]

Klaus Vielhauer

Hello Madison

control + l works reliably with the new chromium Edge

Control + d creates a favorite.

kKlaus

On 7/7/2020 7:47 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
Hi all,
Using Jaws 2018, the latest Edge and Windows 10 can someone please tell me how
to get to the address bar so that I can select and copy it so that I can send it
to someone? I know how to do it with Internet Explorer, but I know that I can't
rely on IE forever. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks
Madison

Don Walls

[...]

Randy Barnett

[...]

David Moore

[...]

Maria He wont even use a PC with the monitor off to even have a clue what it is like for us and he does this on all the blind lists... Just ignore him that is what i had to do...

On 7/7/2020 4:45 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:

[...]

Brian, I am old, blind, and not terribly tech savvy.  You are sighted, much younger and much more tech intuitive than me.  Change doesn't come easy, so please stop being so glib about a state you may not really understand.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 7/7/2020 6:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.
Indeed, but IE's method died out, except under IE, a very, very long time ago.  Much like the Outlook Express concept of identities (I think that's what they called it) died, too.

Each and every one of us has suffered through the loss of certain features we've loved as time marches on.  Learning to let go tends to make one far less stressed.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.
Also, creating favorites within a browser is still a CTRL+D away.  I've generally recommended keeping Bookmarks/favorites manager open at all times as one of your tabs if you use these frequently.

Creating favorites in a folder is now a workaround for a built-in function of the browser.

I don't use bookmarks/favorites very frequently anymore due to browser history.  After I type a couple of characters of a given website the full URL generally shows up in the dropdown list below.  Now, mind you, I can see this and directly point and click, but down-arrowing is also possible, with enter to activate once you land on it.  And the sites you use most frequently tend to be at the very top of those history lists.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.
Indeed, but IE's method died out, except under IE, a very, very long time ago.  Much like the Outlook Express concept of identities (I think that's what they called it) died, too.

Each and every one of us has suffered through the loss of certain features we've loved as time marches on.  Learning to let go tends to make one far less stressed.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Maria Campbell

That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 7/7/2020 6:09 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 05:58 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
but then I don't know what to do with the applications key to get that address into my favorites.
Once you're in the Favorites folder in File Explorer:

1. Create New Item, and that Item is a shortcut.  ALT+H,W,S

2. In the Create Shortcut dialog, first window, that opens, paste the URL you copied out of the Address Bar in to the Type the location of the item edit box.  Activate Next button.

3. Type the name you wish for the shortcut to be identified by in the Type a name for this shortcut edit box.  Activate Finish button.

There is now a shortcut in your Favorites folder for that webpage that has the name you gave it.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 05:58 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
but then I don't know what to do with the applications key to get that address into my favorites.
Once you're in the Favorites folder in File Explorer:

1. Create New Item, and that Item is a shortcut.  ALT+H,W,S

2. In the Create Shortcut dialog, first window, that opens, paste the URL you copied out of the Address Bar in to the Type the location of the item edit box.  Activate Next button.

3. Type the name you wish for the shortcut to be identified by in the Type a name for this shortcut edit box.  Activate Finish button.

There is now a shortcut in your Favorites folder for that webpage that has the name you gave it.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Don Mauck

If you’ve done a Control C, then you can do a control V to paste the link into your favorites.

Regards:

Don Mauck | Senior Accessibility Evangelist | Accessibility Program Office |  (APO)

303.334.4184

Don.mauck@...

I'm lost one I press control plus L to highlight address on Edge.  Then I open my favorites folder on desktop, but then I don't know what to do with the applications key to get that address into my favorites.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

On 7/7/2020 5:47 PM, David Moore wrote: