shortcut.

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 00:13:26 -0400,
Randy Barnett wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (8bit)>]
Yes, 2 of the most useful tools are mostly useless for us... I
really dont understand why it is so hard to make Favorites and
History easy to use. first letter navigation and a file tree is
all it would take. Not multiple list boxes that dont work unless
you do 2 or 3 work arounds and jumping from box to box is stupid.

On 9/28/2020 5:21 PM, Gudrun Brunot wrote:

Klaus: Sorry, but I may be responding way too late for this to
be of use to you, but here goes:

I understand where you’re coming from, and I have my own method
for maintaining my favorites as a navigable folder structure on
my desktop—‘cause that’s precisely where I want them and
nowhere else if I can help it:

Say I find something with Chrome, and I want it in my trusty
old favorites structure. I hit alt-d to go to the address
bar. Control-c to copy. Now, I fire up my little old,
out-of-date Internet Explorer. Most of the times, it will still
open. I hit control-o to open. Paste in my URL; hit
enter. Again, more often than not, The website opens. I don’t
care if it opens sluggishly, as long as it opens. Now, I use
the same old IE command to add to favorites. There you go. Yes,
it’s cumbersome, but I just can’t get to feeling at home in
that Chrome favorites management deal. My default browser is,
for the time being, Google Chrome, and that’s how the URL will
open. It’s just that I have my comfortable structure with
logically organized links in folders, or in second-level
subfolders under first-level parent folders. It’s part of my
organizational file system, and it’s so established that I just
want to keep it that way, no matter how crazy it may seem.

Cheers,

Gudrun

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Klaus Vielhauer
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 07, 2020 1:00 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Edge browser and favorites

Hello Brian,

tried the approach via the favorites manager - still quite cumbersome.

It seems to me that longterm maintaining the IE favorites file
on the desktop is much more efficient:

I will still save the favorite in the Edge Browser with Control + d

Additionally however - and this is certainly more work

1. Go with control + l and copy the web address of the page in Edce

2. Open the IE favorites on the desktop

3. create new shortcut with the application menue.

After this I have the convienience of handling all subsequent
accesses with keyboard searches etc from the desktop file.

Klaus

On 7/6/2020 4:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Now that NVDA is reinstalled, I find that I can't use first letter
navigation in Favorites manager. It's much faster to use the
search feature to limit what shows up in the right side pane.

It's very, very much like file explorer in layout, and if you know
what you're looking for a couple of characters in the search box
tends to really cut down on what's available in the actual
favorites list in the right pane.

--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

/The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to
overcome it./
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

[2 <text/html; utf-8 (8bit)>]
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Randy Barnett

Yes, 2 of the most useful tools are mostly useless for us... I really dont understand why it is so hard to make Favorites and History easy to use. first letter navigation and a file tree is all it would take. Not multiple list boxes that dont work unless you do 2 or 3 work arounds and jumping from box to box is stupid.

On 9/28/2020 5:21 PM, Gudrun Brunot wrote:

Klaus: Sorry, but I may be responding way too late for this to be of use to you, but here goes:

I understand where you’re coming from, and I have my own method for maintaining my favorites as a navigable folder structure on my desktop—‘cause that’s precisely where I want them and nowhere else if I can help it:

Say I find something with Chrome, and I want it in my trusty old favorites structure. I hit alt-d to go to the address bar. Control-c to copy. Now, I fire up my little old, out-of-date Internet Explorer. Most of the times, it will still open. I hit control-o to open. Paste in my URL; hit enter. Again, more often than not, The website opens. I don’t care if it opens sluggishly, as long as it opens. Now, I use the same old IE command to add to favorites. There you go. Yes, it’s cumbersome, but I just can’t get to feeling at home in that Chrome favorites management deal. My default browser is, for the time being, Google Chrome, and that’s how the URL will open. It’s just that I have my comfortable structure with logically organized links in folders, or in second-level subfolders under first-level parent folders. It’s part of my organizational file system, and it’s so established that I just want to keep it that way, no matter how crazy it may seem.

Cheers,

Gudrun

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Klaus Vielhauer
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 1:00 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Edge browser and favorites

Hello Brian,

It seems to me that longterm maintaining the IE favorites file on the desktop is much more efficient:

After this I have the convienience of handling all subsequent accesses with keyboard searches etc from the desktop file.

Klaus

Now that NVDA is reinstalled, I find that I can't use first letter navigation in Favorites manager.  It's much faster to use the search feature to limit what shows up in the right side pane.  

It's very, very much like file explorer in layout, and if you know what you're looking for a couple of characters in the search box tends to really cut down on what's available in the actual favorites list in the right pane.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Gudrun Brunot

Klaus: Sorry, but I may be responding way too late for this to be of use to you, but here goes:

I understand where you’re coming from, and I have my own method for maintaining my favorites as a navigable folder structure on my desktop—‘cause that’s precisely where I want them and nowhere else if I can help it:

Say I find something with Chrome, and I want it in my trusty old favorites structure. I hit alt-d to go to the address bar. Control-c to copy. Now, I fire up my little old, out-of-date Internet Explorer. Most of the times, it will still open. I hit control-o to open. Paste in my URL; hit enter. Again, more often than not, The website opens. I don’t care if it opens sluggishly, as long as it opens. Now, I use the same old IE command to add to favorites. There you go. Yes, it’s cumbersome, but I just can’t get to feeling at home in that Chrome favorites management deal. My default browser is, for the time being, Google Chrome, and that’s how the URL will open. It’s just that I have my comfortable structure with logically organized links in folders, or in second-level subfolders under first-level parent folders. It’s part of my organizational file system, and it’s so established that I just want to keep it that way, no matter how crazy it may seem.

Cheers,

Gudrun

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 1:00 AM

Hello Brian,

It seems to me that longterm maintaining the IE favorites file on the desktop is much more efficient:

After this I have the convienience of handling all subsequent accesses with keyboard searches etc from the desktop file.

Klaus

Now that NVDA is reinstalled, I find that I can't use first letter navigation in Favorites manager.  It's much faster to use the search feature to limit what shows up in the right side pane.  

It's very, very much like file explorer in layout, and if you know what you're looking for a couple of characters in the search box tends to really cut down on what's available in the actual favorites list in the right pane.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 05:26 PM, David Griffith wrote:
The benefit if this approach is that it can be use from File Explorer across different incarnations of  default browsers and Windows installs
It's also just another way to save shortcuts in a folder, whether that folder is on the desktop or elsewhere.  There's never been anything wrong with doing that if it's a method that works for you.

If you happen to be using a browser that has a Create Shortcut option in its own menu, you can use that to quickly drop a shortcut on the desktop, then cut it from the desktop and paste it in your Favorites folder.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

David Griffith

I agree – I have done this for years anyway.

The benefit if this approach is that it can be use from File Explorer across different incarnations of  default browsers and Windows installs.

Actually I keep my Favourites folder not only with a shortcut  on the Desktop but in DropBox where I access the same folder not only on Windows but iOS, Mac Os and in the past Android, I suspect it would still work there as well.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 07 July 2020 09:00

Hello Brian,

Klaus

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Sharon

Klaus, can you email me off list?

Your approach is intriguing to me and I have more questions about it but do not want to clutter up the list.

Mt281820@...

Sharon

Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 4:00 AM

Hello Brian,

Klaus

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Klaus Vielhauer

Hello Brian,

Klaus

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Klaus,

My recommendation for screen reader users is that they use the bookmarks manager (called favorites manager in Edge only, all other Chromium-based browsers use the term bookmarks), which can be invoked by CTRL+SHIFT+O.

After that's open, you can use either the search function with the first few characters of the shortcut name, or you can tab over into the list of shortcuts and use first letter navigation (I think, NVDA is being cranky at the moment and I'm in the middle of doing an uninstall/reinstall).
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Klaus Vielhauer

Thanks Brian,

I was refering to the Edge favorites folder. Previously with theIE folder on the desktop it was much easier to acces a saved link.

Therefor for now I still use the old "Internet explorer folder" which then opens in Edge. However it is no longer updated with new links generated with Edge.

Opening Edge an tabbing to favorites and tabbing to the saved links needs much more key presses.

And even worse, when in the favorites list you cannot jump to a given link by keyboard letter presses.

Or? do I miss something?

Klaus

On 7/5/2020 5:57 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 07:28 AM, Klaus Vielhauer wrote:
with internet explorer I put a shortcut for favorites on my desktop.
Do you mean a shortcut to the Favorites file?  If so, then no, the equivalent does not exist for modern browsers.

If you mean shortcuts that allow you to activate them and open certain websites that are your favorites, then yes, that can still be done.  If you're using Edge as your default browser, then the easiest way (at least to me) is to copy the URL for which you want a desktop shortcut out of the address bar, then use the New,Shortcut option from the Desktop context menu to create one.  You also have the option of using Google Chrome for desktop shortcut creation (which will still open in whatever you have set as your default browser) by opening the URL under Chrome or Brave, then using its More Tools, Create Shortcut option to place the shortcut on your desktop.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 07:28 AM, Klaus Vielhauer wrote:
Do you mean a shortcut to the Favorites file?  If so, then no, the equivalent does not exist for modern browsers.

If you mean shortcuts that allow you to activate them and open certain websites that are your favorites, then yes, that can still be done.  If you're using Edge as your default browser, then the easiest way (at least to me) is to copy the URL for which you want a desktop shortcut out of the address bar, then use the New,Shortcut option from the Desktop context menu to create one.  You also have the option of using Google Chrome for desktop shortcut creation (which will still open in whatever you have set as your default browser) by opening the URL under Chrome or Brave, then using its More Tools, Create Shortcut option to place the shortcut on your desktop.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Klaus Vielhauer

Hello,

Now with the the new Edge browser I have found no way to accomplish this.

Any idea?

Klaus