Topics

moderated jaws and the Braille edge

david

Good afternoon folks.

I ran into another issue today, a friends computer, windows 10, latest jaws 2020, but, the braille edge won't connect.

I did a reinstall of jaws,

restarted the machine, but the edge stays in terminal mode.

when I connect or disconnect the device, I do hear a tone to tell me that the device is connected or disconnected.

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

Milton Ota

Are you connecting by blutooth or USB?

I assume you set the Braille display in JAWS for the Braille Edge.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of david
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 4:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: jaws and the Braille edge

Good afternoon folks.

I ran into another issue today, a friends computer, windows 10, latest jaws 2020, but, the braille edge won't connect.

when I connect or disconnect the device, I do hear a tone to tell me that the device is connected or disconnected.

Richard Turner

I am using the Braille Edge with Jaws 2020 latest update.

When you added the display to Jaws, did you check both BrialleEdge and HIMS Braille in the list of displays?

And make sure Braille Edge is set as the default?

That is what shows in my Jaws settings.

If so, push the reset button on the back of the Braille Edge.  That is the one on the back near the dot 2.

Put it in terminal mode.

Now, while it is plugged into the computer, reboot the computer.

When jaws comes up, it should work.

If not, you may have to experience the joys of HIMS non-support.

Or, try writing to Thomas Simpson thomas@...

Thomas is  the sales manager, but is often more helpful than their tech support.

Good luck,

Richard

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 2:51 PM

Good afternoon folks.

david

Yes, I'm connecting USB, and yes, I set the display in jaws.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: jaws and the Braille edge

Good afternoon folks.

david

interesting, I've done the things you've suggested.

the interesting thing is, the display works on his windows 7 machine, earlier jaws.

very strange.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:06 PM

When you added the display to Jaws, did you check both BrialleEdge and HIMS Braille in the list of displays?

If so, push the reset button on the back of the Braille Edge.  That is the one on the back near the dot 2.

Put it in terminal mode.

Thomas is  the sales manager, but is often more helpful than their tech support.

Good luck,

Richard

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Good afternoon folks.

Richard Turner

One more thought.

Make sure that Narrator braille is not turned on.

I don’t know that he would have done that, but the Narrator braille driver conflicts with the Jaws braille driver.

I think contacting Thomas Simpson might be your next best step.

Best of luck,

Richard

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 3:27 PM

interesting, I've done the things you've suggested.

the interesting thing is, the display works on his windows 7 machine, earlier jaws.

very strange.

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:06 PM

Put it in terminal mode.

Good luck,

Richard

Richard

Good afternoon folks.

Milton Ota

Is the Braill Edge using the latest firmware update from HIMS?

You will have to check that with the HIMS website and find out how to find the version number of the Braille Edge firmware.

Milton

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 5:25 PM

Good afternoon folks.

Richard Turner

Press space+v to get the version number.

It should be:

1.1 Build 20170307

I believe that is the last update.

If you don’t have it, I put it on my web  site because HIMS is so completely incompetent that they have never gotten it onto their web site.

I won’t go further into that or I might have to use some explitives.

Below is a link to the zip file directly.

http://www.turner42.com/BrailleEdge40-1.1Build20170307.zip

This latest release for the Braille EDGE 40 contains the following new features and enhancements:

• Expanded UEB Support,
  • Test Mode (for testing braille cells),
  • Exam Mode,
  • Typing Mode,
  • and enhanced JAWS support.

Expanded UEB Support

The Braille EDGE 40 already supported the use of UEB in the Notepad application. Now UEB can also be used in the Braille EDGE 40 menus and prompts.
1. Go to the Options Menu on the Braille EDGE 40.
2. Scroll to "Braille for Message" or press the letter "G".
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille. Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to save.
To change the default grade of Braille used in the Notepad:
2. Scroll to "Braille For Notepad Grade" or press the letter N.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille. Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to change.
Test Mode
This feature is useful when testing Braille cells for weak dots.
1. To enter Test Mode, press "SPACE+BACKSPACE+ENTER+T" from anywhere in the Braille EDGE 40 Program Menu.
2. Individual pins will move up and down on the display starting with dot1 in cell 1, moving to DOT2 in CELL1, etc.
3. Press "SPACE" to pause or resume Test Mode.
4. While paused, pressing the cursor router above any cell will cause all pins in that cell to be displayed.
5. Also while paused, press any individual dot or function key on the Braille EDGE 40 and see its corresponding function.
6. Press "SPACE+Z" to exit Test Mode.
Typing Mode
Typing Mode has been available on the Braille Sense for many years. Now this function comes to the Notepad on the Braille EDGE 40. While in Typing Mode, pressing "SPACE" with any character on the keyboard enters that character followed by a space into the document. This mode can keep you from accidentally moving to a different part of the document by pressing"SPACE" plus any characters that are navigation commands. Typing Mode is especially useful for fast typists.
Typing Mode is a toggle. To enable Typing Mode from within a document, press "F4+K". The same key combination will exit Typing Mode.
Enhanced JAWS Support
Function keys on the Braille EDGE 40 should produce the same results as their QWERTY keyboard equivalents: Escape, Tab, Control, Alt, Insert, Shift, Windows and Applications.
Exam Mode
Exam Mode locks the Braille EDGE 40 in terminal mode, so that it may be used as a Braille display for a student using a computer designed to facilitate standardized testing. Exam Mode requires that a password be entered so that the function cannot be exited without entering the same password. The computer must contain a screen reader compatible with HIMS Braille displays for Braille input and output to be possible.
Terminal Mode is the mode in which the notetaker serves as a Braille Terminal (Braille display) for a screen reader. The screen reader outputs the screen information in Braille to the device, and translates keystrokes from the Braille keyboard into text and commands the computer can understand. This Braille access provides a truly accessible testing environment for the student.
We have left specific instructions out of this release note and the Braille EDGE 40 user manual in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of students. Please email HIMS at info@... instructions for using Exam Mode.

If you have any questions, please call HIMS Technical Support at (888) 520-4467 Option 2 or e-mail them at: 
support@...

Richard

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 4:00 PM

You will have to check that with the HIMS website and find out how to find the version number of the Braille Edge firmware.

Milton

Good afternoon folks.

david

Yes;

I didd the space+v=version,

he has the latest

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 7:08 PM

It should be:

1.1 Build 20170307

If you don’t have it, I put it on my web  site because HIMS is so completely incompetent that they have never gotten it onto their web site.

This latest release for the Braille EDGE 40 contains the following new features and enhancements:

• Expanded UEB Support,
  • Exam Mode,
  • Typing Mode,

Expanded UEB Support

The Braille EDGE 40 already supported the use of UEB in the Notepad application. Now UEB can also be used in the Braille EDGE 40 menus and prompts.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille. Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to save.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille. Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to change.
Test Mode
1. To enter Test Mode, press "SPACE+BACKSPACE+ENTER+T" from anywhere in the Braille EDGE 40 Program Menu.
2. Individual pins will move up and down on the display starting with dot1 in cell 1, moving to DOT2 in CELL1, etc.
4. While paused, pressing the cursor router above any cell will cause all pins in that cell to be displayed.
5. Also while paused, press any individual dot or function key on the Braille EDGE 40 and see its corresponding function.
Typing Mode
Typing Mode has been available on the Braille Sense for many years. Now this function comes to the Notepad on the Braille EDGE 40. While in Typing Mode, pressing "SPACE" with any character on the keyboard enters that character followed by a space into the document. This mode can keep you from accidentally moving to a different part of the document by pressing"SPACE" plus any characters that are navigation commands. Typing Mode is especially useful for fast typists.
Typing Mode is a toggle. To enable Typing Mode from within a document, press "F4+K". The same key combination will exit Typing Mode.
Enhanced JAWS Support
Function keys on the Braille EDGE 40 should produce the same results as their QWERTY keyboard equivalents: Escape, Tab, Control, Alt, Insert, Shift, Windows and Applications.
Exam Mode
Exam Mode locks the Braille EDGE 40 in terminal mode, so that it may be used as a Braille display for a student using a computer designed to facilitate standardized testing. Exam Mode requires that a password be entered so that the function cannot be exited without entering the same password. The computer must contain a screen reader compatible with HIMS Braille displays for Braille input and output to be possible.
Terminal Mode is the mode in which the notetaker serves as a Braille Terminal (Braille display) for a screen reader. The screen reader outputs the screen information in Braille to the device, and translates keystrokes from the Braille keyboard into text and commands the computer can understand. This Braille access provides a truly accessible testing environment for the student.
We have left specific instructions out of this release note and the Braille EDGE 40 user manual in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of students. Please email HIMS at info@... instructions for using Exam Mode.

If you have any questions, please call HIMS Technical Support at (888) 520-4467 Option 2 or e-mail them at: 
support@...

Richard

Milton

Good afternoon folks.

Chris Hill

Hims driver installed?

On Jun 23, 2020, at 18:23, david <davidmac1957@...> wrote:

Yes;

he has the latest

It should be:

1.1 Build 20170307

• Expanded UEB Support,
  • Exam Mode,
  • Typing Mode,

Expanded UEB Support

Test Mode
Typing Mode
Enhanced JAWS Support
Exam Mode

support@...

Richard

Milton

Good afternoon folks.

Michael Mote

Hi David. I have had this same issue before as well. I would be happy
to help you off line if necessary. As someone else suggested, make
sure that Narrator id not taking over the braille support. JAWS did
release a technical bulletin about this last November. If all of that
is not the issue, then it could very well be the drivers that come
with the braille display which can be downloaded from the HIMS
web-site. You have to visit. www.hims-inc.com/support, and then find
the braille edge section. I currently use a QBraille, and honestly, my
opinion is going down about the unit. It is very tricky to make work
with the computer, but it can be done. I had to reinstall the drivers
with the display actually off. Then, once that has completed, I had to
turn on the unit, and then set all of the JAWS settings for it. I
select Braille Edge as the display, which is what you would need to
do. I would be happy to send you a copy of the drivers privately if
you need them. Best of luck.

On 6/24/20, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:
Hims driver installed?

Yes;
he has the latest

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a
dream.

It should be:
1.1 Build 20170307

If you don’t have it, I put it on my web site because HIMS is so
completely incompetent that they have never gotten it onto their web
site.

This latest release for the Braille EDGE 40 contains the following new
features and enhancements:

Expanded UEB Support,
Test Mode (for testing braille cells),
Exam Mode,
Typing Mode,
and enhanced JAWS support.
Expanded UEB Support

The Braille EDGE 40 already supported the use of UEB in the Notepad
application. Now UEB can also be used in the Braille EDGE 40 menus and
prompts.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille,
UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille.
Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to save.
Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to
change.
Test Mode
1. To enter Test Mode, press "SPACE+BACKSPACE+ENTER+T" from anywhere in
the Braille EDGE 40 Program Menu.
2. Individual pins will move up and down on the display starting with dot1
in cell 1, moving to DOT2 in CELL1, etc.
4. While paused, pressing the cursor router above any cell will cause all
pins in that cell to be displayed.
5. Also while paused, press any individual dot or function key on the
Braille EDGE 40 and see its corresponding function.
Typing Mode
Typing Mode has been available on the Braille Sense for many years. Now
this function comes to the Notepad on the Braille EDGE 40. While in Typing
Mode, pressing "SPACE" with any character on the keyboard enters that
character followed by a space into the document. This mode can keep you
from accidentally moving to a different part of the document by
pressing"SPACE" plus any characters that are navigation commands. Typing
Mode is especially useful for fast typists.
Typing Mode is a toggle. To enable Typing Mode from within a document,
press "F4+K". The same key combination will exit Typing Mode.
Enhanced JAWS Support
Function keys on the Braille EDGE 40 should produce the same results as
their QWERTY keyboard equivalents: Escape, Tab, Control, Alt, Insert,
Shift, Windows and Applications.
Exam Mode
Exam Mode locks the Braille EDGE 40 in terminal mode, so that it may be
used as a Braille display for a student using a computer designed to
facilitate standardized testing. Exam Mode requires that a password be
entered so that the function cannot be exited without entering the same
password. The computer must contain a screen reader compatible with HIMS
Braille displays for Braille input and output to be possible.
Terminal Mode is the mode in which the notetaker serves as a Braille
Terminal (Braille display) for a screen reader. The screen reader outputs
the screen information in Braille to the device, and translates keystrokes
from the Braille keyboard into text and commands the computer can
understand. This Braille access provides a truly accessible testing
environment for the student.
We have left specific instructions out of this release note and the
Braille EDGE 40 user manual in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of
students. Please email HIMS at info@... instructions for using
Exam Mode.

If you have any questions, please call HIMS Technical Support at (888)
520-4467 Option 2 or e-mail them at: support@...

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass
himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient
hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not
granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" -
Edward Herbert

You will have to check that with the HIMS website and find out how to find
the version number of the Braille Edge firmware.

Milton

dream.

Good afternoon folks.
I ran into another issue today, a friends computer, windows 10, latest
jaws 2020, but, the braille edge won't connect.
when I connect or disconnect the device, I do hear a tone to tell me that
the device is connected or disconnected.

dream.

david

Michael, thanks, my friend is using the latest version of jaws, windows 10.
where to find or disable the braille driver in narrator?

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:19 AM

Hi David. I have had this same issue before as well. I would be happy
to help you off line if necessary. As someone else suggested, make
sure that Narrator id not taking over the braille support. JAWS did
release a technical bulletin about this last November. If all of that
is not the issue, then it could very well be the drivers that come
with the braille display which can be downloaded from the HIMS
web-site. You have to visit. www.hims-inc.com/support, and then find
the braille edge section. I currently use a QBraille, and honestly, my
opinion is going down about the unit. It is very tricky to make work
with the computer, but it can be done. I had to reinstall the drivers
with the display actually off. Then, once that has completed, I had to
turn on the unit, and then set all of the JAWS settings for it. I
select Braille Edge as the display, which is what you would need to
do. I would be happy to send you a copy of the drivers privately if
you need them. Best of luck.

Hims driver installed?

Yes;
he has the latest

dream.

It should be:
1.1 Build 20170307

site.

This latest release for the Braille EDGE 40 contains the following new
features and enhancements:

Expanded UEB Support,
Test Mode (for testing braille cells),
Exam Mode,
Typing Mode,
and enhanced JAWS support.
Expanded UEB Support

application. Now UEB can also be used in the Braille EDGE 40 menus and
prompts.
change.
Test Mode
1. To enter Test Mode, press "SPACE+BACKSPACE+ENTER+T" from anywhere in
the Braille EDGE 40 Program Menu.
2. Individual pins will move up and down on the display starting with dot1
in cell 1, moving to DOT2 in CELL1, etc.
4. While paused, pressing the cursor router above any cell will cause all
pins in that cell to be displayed.
Typing Mode
Typing Mode has been available on the Braille Sense for many years. Now
this function comes to the Notepad on the Braille EDGE 40. While in Typing
Mode, pressing "SPACE" with any character on the keyboard enters that
character followed by a space into the document. This mode can keep you
from accidentally moving to a different part of the document by
pressing"SPACE" plus any characters that are navigation commands. Typing
Mode is especially useful for fast typists.
Typing Mode is a toggle. To enable Typing Mode from within a document,
press "F4+K". The same key combination will exit Typing Mode.
Enhanced JAWS Support
Function keys on the Braille EDGE 40 should produce the same results as
their QWERTY keyboard equivalents: Escape, Tab, Control, Alt, Insert,
Shift, Windows and Applications.
Exam Mode
Exam Mode locks the Braille EDGE 40 in terminal mode, so that it may be
used as a Braille display for a student using a computer designed to
facilitate standardized testing. Exam Mode requires that a password be
entered so that the function cannot be exited without entering the same
password. The computer must contain a screen reader compatible with HIMS
Braille displays for Braille input and output to be possible.
Terminal (Braille display) for a screen reader. The screen reader outputs
the screen information in Braille to the device, and translates keystrokes
from the Braille keyboard into text and commands the computer can
understand. This Braille access provides a truly accessible testing
environment for the student.
Braille EDGE 40 user manual in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of
students. Please email HIMS at info@... instructions for using
Exam Mode.

If you have any questions, please call HIMS Technical Support at (888)

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass
himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient
hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not
granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" -
Edward Herbert

You will have to check that with the HIMS website and find out how to find
the version number of the Braille Edge firmware.

Milton

dream.

Good afternoon folks.
I ran into another issue today, a friends computer, windows 10, latest
jaws 2020, but, the braille edge won't connect.
when I connect or disconnect the device, I do hear a tone to tell me that
the device is connected or disconnected.

dream.

Michael Mote

Hi David. If you go into the narrator settings, and navigate through all of the options, you will find the braille settings. You have to tab quite a few times to find it, but they are there. They should be self explanatory.

Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:58 AM

Michael, thanks, my friend is using the latest version of jaws, windows 10.
where to find or disable the braille driver in narrator?

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:19 AM

Hi David. I have had this same issue before as well. I would be happy to help you off line if necessary. As someone else suggested, make sure that Narrator id not taking over the braille support. JAWS did release a technical bulletin about this last November. If all of that is not the issue, then it could very well be the drivers that come with the braille display which can be downloaded from the HIMS web-site. You have to visit. www.hims-inc.com/support, and then find the braille edge section. I currently use a QBraille, and honestly, my opinion is going down about the unit. It is very tricky to make work with the computer, but it can be done. I had to reinstall the drivers with the display actually off. Then, once that has completed, I had to turn on the unit, and then set all of the JAWS settings for it. I select Braille Edge as the display, which is what you would need to do. I would be happy to send you a copy of the drivers privately if you need them. Best of luck.

Hims driver installed?

Yes;
he has the latest

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power
of a dream.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard
Turner

It should be:
1.1 Build 20170307

site.

This latest release for the Braille EDGE 40 contains the following
new features and enhancements:

Expanded UEB Support,
Test Mode (for testing braille cells), Exam Mode, Typing Mode, and
enhanced JAWS support.
Expanded UEB Support

application. Now UEB can also be used in the Braille EDGE 40 menus
and prompts.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted
Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted
Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille.
change.
Test Mode
1. To enter Test Mode, press "SPACE+BACKSPACE+ENTER+T" from anywhere
in the Braille EDGE 40 Program Menu.
2. Individual pins will move up and down on the display starting with
dot1 in cell 1, moving to DOT2 in CELL1, etc.
4. While paused, pressing the cursor router above any cell will cause
all pins in that cell to be displayed.
Typing Mode
Typing Mode has been available on the Braille Sense for many years.
Now this function comes to the Notepad on the Braille EDGE 40. While
in Typing Mode, pressing "SPACE" with any character on the keyboard
enters that character followed by a space into the document. This
mode can keep you from accidentally moving to a different part of the
document by pressing"SPACE" plus any characters that are navigation
commands. Typing Mode is especially useful for fast typists.
Typing Mode is a toggle. To enable Typing Mode from within a
document, press "F4+K". The same key combination will exit Typing Mode.
Enhanced JAWS Support
Function keys on the Braille EDGE 40 should produce the same results
as their QWERTY keyboard equivalents: Escape, Tab, Control, Alt,
Insert, Shift, Windows and Applications.
Exam Mode
Exam Mode locks the Braille EDGE 40 in terminal mode, so that it may
be used as a Braille display for a student using a computer designed
to facilitate standardized testing. Exam Mode requires that a
password be entered so that the function cannot be exited without
entering the same password. The computer must contain a screen reader
compatible with HIMS Braille displays for Braille input and output to be possible.
Terminal (Braille display) for a screen reader. The screen reader
outputs the screen information in Braille to the device, and
translates keystrokes from the Braille keyboard into text and
commands the computer can understand. This Braille access provides a
truly accessible testing environment for the student.
Braille EDGE 40 user manual in an attempt to keep it out of the hands
of students. Please email HIMS at info@... instructions
for using Exam Mode.

If you have any questions, please call HIMS Technical Support at
(888)

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must
pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of
ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have
regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted
extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

You will have to check that with the HIMS website and find out how to
find the version number of the Braille Edge firmware.

Milton

of a dream.

Good afternoon folks.
I ran into another issue today, a friends computer, windows 10,
latest jaws 2020, but, the braille edge won't connect.
when I connect or disconnect the device, I do hear a tone to tell me
that the device is connected or disconnected.

of a dream.