Topics

moderated Meta data for music tracks

Marty Hutchings

I have a lot of music tracks that do not have proper meta data information associated with them.  Is there an accessible program for easily adding this information?

I know you asked for accessible, and I cannot be certain that it is and do not have the time to check, but at least take a look at MP3Tag.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

DJ

It is very accessible.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:17 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
I know you asked for accessible, and I cannot be certain that it is and do not have the time to check, but at least take a look at MP3Tag.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 08:20 AM, DJ wrote:
It is very accessible.
-
Thanks for that confirmation that MP3Tag is accessible.  Given the style of its interface I thought it would be.

I have only used it to do limited metadata editing for a few tracks where fetching the information when ripping "burped" and left it unpopulated.  Do you happen to know if MP3Tag has a function where it does much like most media players do, and will attempt to fetch the metadata for all the tracks you are working on in a single folder?  I've never played with that, if it even exists, but if it does it's a much easier thing to try than hand editing, which is tedious, but sometimes necessary.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Scratch that last question, as I had a temporary lapse.  Right on MP3Tag's main webpage it states, "Furthermore, it supports online database lookups from, e.g., Discogs, MusicBrainz or freedb, allowing you to automatically gather proper tags and download cover art for your music library."
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Marty Hutchings

Thanks guys.  I will give it a whirl.

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: Meta data for music tracks

It is very accessible.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:17 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

~ Lawrence Krauss

Marty,

One small word of warning.  MP3Tag (at least when I downloaded it in February) is defaulting for its metadata search to freedb, and it appears they've closed up shop.  I cannot find the information for logging into the metadata server at MusicBrainz, at least not yet.

But, MusicBrainz, which is an open source project where all software is free as well, has its own metadata editor called Picard.  It looks to be accessible, and since it's automatically set up with MusicBrainz to begin with (though you may need to create your own account) it might end up being the better way to go.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

Brian, do you know if this would also rip songs from a CD with the tag information?

I just looked at the web site and it said that it can look up a CD … someone was asking about this kind of thing on another list and since I don’t need the software myself, I thought maybe you knew the answer.

Thanks,

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Meta data for music tracks

Marty,

One small word of warning.  MP3Tag (at least when I downloaded it in February) is defaulting for its metadata search to freedb, and it appears they've closed up shop.  I cannot find the information for logging into the metadata server at MusicBrainz, at least not yet.

But, MusicBrainz, which is an open source project where all software is free as well, has its own metadata editor called Picard.  It looks to be accessible, and since it's automatically set up with MusicBrainz to begin with (though you may need to create your own account) it might end up being the better way to go.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard,

Both MusicBrainz Picard and MP3Tag are strictly CD metadata "fetchers" and editors.  They do not rip.

That being said, quite a few popular media players, which do rip, have MusicBrainz lookup support built-in, including VLC, and Kodi, as well as media library managers such as Foobar2000.  See this page:  https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Enabled_Applications

--

~ Lawrence Krauss