Topics

moderated in win10 in a folder how do you tell Win10 to delete only all the files that have a same particular extension but not the other files in that folder that have different extensions?

Hank William Merchant

Hello,

In Win10 when you are wanting to get rid of some particular files all with the same extension in a folder, but not the other files with different extensions in that same folder, is there a way to tell Win10 to in that particular folder to only delete all the files that have that same extension that you want to delete?

Llike in the old days, when we were still using dos and in dos to delete only all the files with a particular same extension in a directory, the dos command once you were located in that particular directory was the dos command delete  *. and the 3 letters corresponding to the extension you particularly wanted to delete.

If maybe someone can help me with this, this would be so very much appreciated. Much, much thanks in advance for any help with this.

All the best,
Warmest regards,

Hank

Bill White

Hi, Hank. You must still do the same thing, like back in the days of DOS. You must go to Command Prompt, change to the directory, and perform the delete  *. and the 3 letters corresponding to the extension you particularly want to delete.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

ratshtron

open the folder and move to the first file with the particular extention and now, press and hold the ctrl key and start arrowing down through the list of files and every time you land on another file with same extention, press the spacebar to select it. be sure to continue to hold the ctrl key. once you have selected all the files with the same extention, press the delete key and the files will be deleted once you confirm you wish to delete the number of multi-files. Of course, you could also drop to a dos box by pressing windows key plus r then type cmd and press enter. once there, you can type the drive letter: plus the folder name to open that folder and now, you can use the familular dos command del *.xxx where xxx is the extention of the files. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Monday 6/15/2020 08:43 PM, Hank William Merchant said:

[...]

made one mistake, once you press windows key plus r and press enter, you must first type in the drive letter the folder is on for example,cd c:\ to move to the root of the c: drive. then type cd foldername enter to open the folder.

Legend has it that on Monday 6/15/2020 09:32 PM, ratshtron via groups.io said:
[...]

Hi, Ratshtron. I probably should have put that in, but I assumed he wanted
to delete files in a folder below his user folder. When I do a Command
Prompt, it puts me in "Owner" which is my user folder.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:33 PM, ratshtron wrote:
open the folder and move to the first file with the particular extention and now, press and hold the ctrl key and start arrowing down through the list of files and every time you land on another file with same extention, press the spacebar to select it. be sure to continue to hold the ctrl key. once you have selected all the files with the same extention, press the delete key and the files will be deleted once you confirm you wish to delete the number of multi-files.

It is much, much easier to use the search function (CTRL+E) and enter the search criteria for all the files you want, then Select All, then delete.

So, once you're in the folder, say you want to delete all PDF files in the folder.  Hit CTRL+E then type *.pdf in the search box then hit enter.  The search will return only files in that folder that are PDF files.  Hit CTRL+A to select all, then hit the DEL key.  You're done.

Of course, the search criteria can be anything that's appropriate, so if you wanted only PDF files that start with, say, Nov, then type Nov*.pdf in the search box and hit enter.  You can use any extension and you can combine things with OR if you want, say all JPG files OR PDF files, that would be *.jpg OR *.PDF, and you'll only get files with one of those two extensions back.

Hand gathering is far more error prone.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White

Hi, Brian. I tried doing what you said. I opened the folder Documents, searched for files with an mp3 extension, and it gave me mp3 results from subfolders, as well as files which no longer reside in that folder.

I put into the search Window (CONTROL plus E) once the folder was open:

*.mp3

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Richard Turner

Depending on how many levels deep the folder is.
using the command prompt, and then like the good old DOS days, do CD\foldername, and again the backslash, next folder until your crompt shows c:\ followed by the full path.
Then type del *.mp3
and they will all be deleted just in that folder.
Then type exit and hit enter to get out of the command prompt.
I'mwriting this on an iPhone with braille input, so hopefully that made sense.
If not, I can rewrite it on my computer in the morning.

Richard

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:32 PM, Bill White wrote:
I opened the folder Documents
Well, it also depends on how you have search itself configured.  It is important to make sure that your default is "Current Folder" rather than All Subfolders, or to switch to only search in Current Folder rather than All Subfolders.

The current default behavior is "All Subfolders."   I am having a huge problem figuring out how to either reconfigure this permanently or even to get the search to limit itself only to "Current Folder" with keyboard shortcuts.   I can get to "Current Folder" via ALT+JS,F after having run the search, but it doesn't change the results.  I can only get the results to change sometimes via "point and click" application of that ribbon control item, too.

This used to be a simple matter to reset default search behavior, as this question from 2017 on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-explorer-search-default-current-folder/fbd72e0c-880e-453d-9e85-9228767fa9de notes:
--

hey folks,

is there a way to set the default preference for the explorer search from "all subfolders" to "current folder"?

In Win7 there was an option in the "folder and search options" and in Win8 there was a RegKey "SearchSubFolders" under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Search\Preferences.

In Win10 the option is not available and the RegKey has no effect.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Philipp
--

I'll keep looking, but so far getting a consistent "Current Folder" only result is just not happening at the moment, and I've always been able to get that to work before (and usually set that as my default, as it's the exception where I want all subfolders searched).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Apparently, I'm not alone in having the "Current Folder" option to limit search results fail to work.  A very recent topic on answers.microsoft.com:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-current-folder-option-doesnt/cbef261b-0ab0-47d9-a784-1598a550866b

Checking Feedback Hub there are currently three items open that turn up if you use "current folder" as your search phrase, and all have been open for months and note the issue is in Build 18363.  I've just added a comment to all three of them that this is still going on as of today's date.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

David Bailes

Hi Hank and others,
an alternative to using search or the command line is to make use of the filtering which is available if the items view is set to have the details view. If you want to filter by the type of the file, then type has to be one of the details present. By default, this is the case by default for document folders, but not music folders. However it's easy to add  a type column to a details view - on the view tab of the ribbon, in the current view group, there's an add columns menu button.
Anyway, assuming the view is details, and one of the columns is type, then  to filter the items view so that only mp3 files, for example, are shown:
1. Tab to the name split button.
2. Using the left or right arrow keys move to the type split button.
3. Press down arrow to press the menu part of the split button. A menu opens.
4. Press the letter M until you get to mp3 file, and press Enter. You are returned to the items view with only mp3 files shown.

David.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 02:43 AM, Hank William Merchant wrote:

[...]

David,

             That filtering option is a great workaround for the broken "Current Folder" functionality.  Thanks for giving it.   Anything is easier than manually going through a list of potentially hundreds of files if you really just want to select all that have a given extension, whether for deleting, cutting, copying, etc.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

David Bailes

Hi Brian and others,
another workaround to the broken "current folder" functionality is to specify the folder by adding an additional search term. For example, to search for mp3 files in your documents folder, you could use the search terms:
*.mp3 in:documents .
An alternative to in:documents is foldername:documents, but it takes longer to type.

David.