From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Covici
Sent: 14 June 2020 02:34
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: how to read highlighted text on web page

I found a keystroke jaws+alt+s where I can change the scheme to read the
colors -- I don't know why it did not work when I tried to do it from the
settings center, but it seems to work fairly well, only problem is that Jaws
goes silent sometimes for 15-20 seconds after I hit jaws-to-pc hot key --
using Chrome.

Thanks for everyones suggestion, I hope this works.

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 18:22:54 -0400,
Dean Martineau wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
document author. The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about that
either.

<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Mike B

<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
<mailto:covici@...>

<mailto:covici@...>

> --
> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
>          John Covici wb2una
> covici@... <mailto:covici@...>
<mailto:covici@...>

> [2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
covici@... <mailto:covici@...>

Richard Turner

I don't think the keystrokes for this have changed in quite a while.
I don't remember now if it was the same in word 2003, which is the one I started with, but I know there were keystrokes to get it in that one and it has been alt+r+w at least since Word 2007 to the present and I suspect it is the same in Word 2019.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about that either.

Alison,

I'm running Word 2010 on a Windows 7 computer and I use JAWS key plus
PageDown key which reads the status line which reports Page number, line
number, and word count. I don't know if this works in newer versions of
Office but it works well on my system.

Alan Lemly

[...]

Alan,

FYI, yes JAWS key+pagedown/3 still usually works with Word 2016. However, sometimes it fails, in which case Mike B's instructions explain how to return the status line to showing these items, or not, as you choose.

[...]

Thanks for that clarification. Mike is certainly the master at providing
detailed instructions at bending Microsoft Office to our wills with JAWS.

[...]

Another keystroke that will give a little more than the word count is, Control, Shift + G.

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

Al Sorrentino

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for those GREAT key strokes.  For years I’ve been using the insert and the down arrow keys and I like this new system.

I just tried it on an existing Word document and it worked with lots of info, but when I tried to exit my document, JAWS asked me if I wanted to save changes.  Other than opening the existing document and using Control, Shift and the letter G, I did not change my original document.  Are the Control, Shift and the letter G adding something to my document?  I experimented with the same document and used Insert and the down arrow keys and JAWS did not tell me if I wanted to save the document.  It just exited my document.  Am I doing something wrong when I open up my document and using your commands?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Oh, by the way, I am using JAWS 15, Windows 7 and Word 2010.

Al

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

I’m not Mike, needless to say, but your post made me curious. I confirmed that with Word 2016, I have the same experience using shift-control-g. that is, when performing no other operation on a document, after using that command I need to save changes in order to close the document.

My only thought is that the same thing happens when the only operation I perform on a Word document is to copy some text. I haven’t changed it at all, and yet here to,, I must save changes in order to close the document.

In either case, whatever change the program perceives has occurred, I think you can be confident it isn’t one that affects the text or format in any way.

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

Hi Al & Adrian,

When I think to use the, Control, Shift + G , keystroke instead of the, Insert + Pagedown , keystroke and get that save dialogue I tab 1 time to the, don't save button, and press the spacebar.  This closes the document with no problems or changes to the document.

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

I too, when using control shift g, get asked if I want to save the changes. I didn’t know about this command.

Alison

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

When the, Save , button comes up tab 1 time to the, Don't save , button and press the spacebar on that.  The document should close without any supposed or unwanted changes.

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Lol mike don’t get upset, but what did that have to do with word count?

That bar stool must be catching up with you…lol

Dean Martineau wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> I'll be surprised if the ReadSelectedText hotkey, JAWSKey+Shift+down
> arrow identifies text that has been highlighted by a web developer or
> document author.  The only keystroke that might work is JAWSKey+5 (on
> the number row) to identify color, and I'm not too optimistic about
> that
either.

Hi George,

The person was asking about after invoking the keystroke, control, shift + G, to get the word count a save dialogue opens when they try to close the document, so I stated to tab 1 time to the, don't save button , and press the spacebar on it so if any changes were made to the document they wouldn't be saved.  Now I think it's time for my Barstool!  LOL