Topics

moderated excel - defining names

Juan Hernandez

HI All,

I am trying to make my excel spreadsheet read the column names and row names when using the jaws+alt+shift+r or C commands that jaws provides.

So I did the following:

First I went to column a1, where it says product name

Then I hit alt+m, m, d which loads the define names dialog box and typed product name.

I then pressed ok, and when I go down the colllumn and hit jaws+alt+shift+c it says no column name

Can someone please advise me as to what I’m doing wrong?

Best,

juan

Joe

Hello,

You almost got everything right but the syntax.

  • Make sure you are in the cell you wish to make the beginning of your column headers.
  • Use the Alt + M,M,D key combination you used before
  • In the edit box Type “Title” followed by whatever you want to call the worksheet without spaces. For Example “TitleSheet1”.
  • Follow this with two periods without Spaces
  • Put the ending point of your Data area with the cell coordinate for example D30”
  • This will give you both column headers and row headers.
  • You can then use the Jaws command or just simply move from column to column and Jaws will announce the change.

This was the method that Dan Clark suggested from Vispero.

Picture of Owl with Mortar Board and Computer

Dr. Joe L. Todd CVRT

                Phone: 616.951.2142

I am trying to make my excel spreadsheet read the column names and row names when using the jaws+alt+shift+r or C commands that jaws provides.

So I did the following:

First I went to column a1, where it says product name

Then I hit alt+m, m, d which loads the define names dialog box and typed product name.

I then pressed ok, and when I go down the colllumn and hit jaws+alt+shift+c it says no column name

Can someone please advise me as to what I’m doing wrong?

Best,

juan

David Kingsbury

Hi,

This is much simpler to do using the Define Names command in Excel, rather than JAWS.

1.      Go to the cell that is the intersection of the column and row titles you want read to you when navigating inside the table. For example, if you list bill items you want to pay down column A, and months you will be paying across row 2, start in cell A2.

2.      Pres the applications key, up arrow ttwice to Define Names and press Enter.

3.      Type title in the edit box and press enter.

Now you will hear column titles (the months) as you left and right arrow through the table, and row titles (the types of bills) as you up and down arrow.

David

mike mcglashon

Mr. David:

Question for you regarding your “title” instructions:

Block quote:

3.      Type title in the edit box and press enter.

Now you will hear column titles (the months) as you left and right arrow through the table, and row titles (the types of bills) as you up and down arrow.

End block quote:

What do I do differently in order to get only the row or the column titles to read,

Instead of both?

;

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

This is much simpler to do using the Define Names command in Excel, rather than JAWS.

1.      Go to the cell that is the intersection of the column and row titles you want read to you when navigating inside the table. For example, if you list bill items you want to pay down column A, and months you will be paying across row 2, start in cell A2.

2.      Pres the applications key, up arrow ttwice to Define Names and press Enter.

3.      Type title in the edit box and press enter.

Now you will hear column titles (the months) as you left and right arrow through the table, and row titles (the types of bills) as you up and down arrow.

David

David Kingsbury

Hi again,

In that same edit box, you type rowtitle (one word, no spaces) if you only want to hear row titles. Type in columntitle (again, no spaces) if you only want to hear the column titles. If you ever get it messed up, hit Control F3 to bring you into the name manager where you can delete them and start over.

David