Topics

moderated Using family tree / genealogy software

kevin meyers

Hello, I’m using windows10 build 1909 and most recent version of Jaws2020. Is there a family tree / genealogy software that works the best with Jaws? Thanks Kevin

Peter Tesar

Hello,

Why don't you use the web site WikiTree.com?

It has over 23 million profiles and it is edited by over 700 thousand genealogists from around the world.

I've been using it for about 5 years a and much of what I need is accessible with Jaws and NVDA.

You don't need additional software. It's free to register, it works with Jaws.

Whatever you create on WikiTree.com will be there for the world to browse and for a lot longer than your PC based software.

Create your family profiles and maybe link them to existing distant relatives.

https://www.wikitree.com/ has genealogy help and there are other online sources to help you with your research.

Peter T.

On 6/4/2020 11:19 AM, kevin meyers wrote:

Hello, I’m using windows10 build 1909 and most recent version of Jaws2020. Is there a family tree / genealogy software that works the best with Jaws? Thanks Kevin

Tony

I checked out the site but was disappointed after a search for several people returned no results.

Also, to get information on anyone it appears to require a “free” trial signup with no mention of the actual cost.

Did I miss something?

Tony

[...]

Yes you did get it wrong. No registration necessary for WikiTree.com

https://www.wikitree.com/

I have never had to pay for using that site.

The site has two edit boxes,

  First Name, Last Name then press ENTER.

You get a list of profiles arranged by birth date. Each profile is a link and the profile may have links to:

  parents, spouse, children etc.

To create and edit profiles you need to register (no charge).

There is no free trial period.

Peter T.

On 6/4/2020 6:26 PM, Tony wrote:

[...]

Very strange, I cust and pasted the link in your message and had a very different experience.

Tony

[...]

Georgie Mac

Tony, I too have been trying to get to this site, but after a few times, I've had success.  First and last name and there it is!  This will give me some added help since I have been trying to track down my family roots since forever.  Thanks to all.
Georgi

Shirley Tracy

Hi,

The name caught my interest as I’m writing a family history. I got on the website and saw that it’s free, but I couldn’t figure out how to register or sign in as a new user.