goldwave 631 and jaws

mike mcglashon

Hi guys:

I am using jaws 2018 win10 and goldwave 631.

I have the goldwave v5 scrips script version 1.6 by lee and others;

Is this the correct set of scripts I should have, or are there others floating around somewhere?

When I open a file in goldwave, or goldwave itself, jaws says the percentage as it decompresses the file;

However, once file is open and ready for editing,

The keys to read cursors and other things are not working;

For instance, shift-alt-s is supposed to read the start marker position;

Shift-alt-f is supposed to read the finish marker positions;

Neither of these key combinations nor others operate this way;

Also when arrowing through the file, nothing is read.

It kind of feels like the areas of screen that hold all this info is not congruent with the areas expected by the scripts to gather such info.

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Am trying to maneuver through hours of class lectures for Tuesday’s final exam.

Any assistance will most certainly be appreciated as time is of essence.

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

Richard Turner

I’m not sure when this happened, but I suspect it was when I updated from Jaws 18, but my GoldWave wasn’t responding to the keystrokes.

I checked under Explore Scripts and the GoldWave script files were not there.

I copied them into the folder and now all works correctly.

I guess I am familiar enough with GoldWave that I worked around it the few times I’ve used GoldWave since I upgraded to 2018.

I’m not sure if that is what’s going on with you, but I’d double check that all the files are where they need to be.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of mike mcglashon
Sent: Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: goldwave 631 and jaws

Hi guys:

Is this the correct set of scripts I should have, or are there others floating around somewhere?

When I open a file in goldwave, or goldwave itself, jaws says the percentage as it decompresses the file;

It kind of feels like the areas of screen that hold all this info is not congruent with the areas expected by the scripts to gather such info.

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

mike mcglashon

Ok my friend:

I must first apologize for demonstrating my incompetence.

First, how do I explore scripts?

Do I do it from within gw? And if so what keys do I hit or whatever to see if my scripts are there?

Second, what folder would I copy them into assuming they are not in the correct place already?

In sum, step-by-step instructions would most be appreciated.  Maybe wire off list?

Mike M.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, December 9, 2017 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: goldwave 631 and jaws

I’m not sure when this happened, but I suspect it was when I updated from Jaws 18, but my GoldWave wasn’t responding to the keystrokes.

I guess I am familiar enough with GoldWave that I worked around it the few times I’ve used GoldWave since I upgraded to 2018.

I’m not sure if that is what’s going on with you, but I’d double check that all the files are where they need to be.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of mike mcglashon

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

Richard Turner

No need to apologize.  I am a recent prisoner of Jaws having been a Window-eyes user for over 20 years and had to learn this just a few months ago.

On Windows 10, the way I learned it was to tap the Windows key to bring up the search box.

I then arrow down a little ways into the list of apps and hit the letter j, then continue arrowing to Jaws 2018, or Jaws 18, whichever.

At the Jaws version you have it will say folder collapsed.

Hit the space bar.

Arrow down once to utilities and hit enter.

Then arrow down to explore scripts.

You want the ENU folder, which is the English US assuming that is where you are.

Once in that folder, you can check for the Goldwave script files.

If they are not there, just copy them into that folder and restart Jaws.

Now, all should be well.

I believe there is a way to get there from the Jaws menus.

O yes, and have GoldWave closed when you do this just to be sure.

HTH,

Richard

Sent: Saturday, December 9, 2017 9:45 AM

Ok my friend:

Do I do it from within gw? And if so what keys do I hit or whatever to see if my scripts are there?

Second, what folder would I copy them into assuming they are not in the correct place already?

In sum, step-by-step instructions would most be appreciated.  Maybe wire off list?

Mike M.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner

Richard

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

mike mcglashon

Dear Mr. Richard:

First, please excuse the delay in returning the line; for I am studying for law school finals hence forth.

Second, I have performed the steps of which you outlined in previous post;

When I looked in the enu from within the jaws-explore-settings box, you were correct in that the goldwave.anything portions of the scripts were not present.

I then copied the zip file with the components of the scripts into the enu folder;

I extracted the zip file’s components within the enu making sure not to let the extractor create a subfolder under the enu folder.

The goldwave scripts are present.

By the way, I performed these steps with goldwave closed.

Upon post extraction, I closed and restarted jauws; then opened goldwave.

Once goldwave opened, I check the script settings with insert-q and it says that “goldwave 5 and 6 settings are loaded.”

Furthermore, within the insert-1 help mode of jaws, the keys do say what they are supposed to do; such as: insert-s if pressed within help mode, jaws will say “announces the start marker position.”  However, once out of help mode, when I hit keys such as alt-shift-s to see where the start marker is, jaws remains mum.  When pressing any keys that should give information, jaws remains silent.

I apologize for the long explanation but I wish to give you an account of what I did so you can tell me where I missed anything within the process ou’ve prescribed.

One idea, I wonder if the resolution within windows10 needs to be a certain setting for jaws to work.  I ask this in contemplation because my jaws cursor never works; it says “blank blank” whenst I arrow around in jaws cursor mode.

I do thank you for reading this entirely; any suggestions from you or anyone else who might read this?  I’m afraid to call the jaws company for there is nothing to stop them from passing the buck and blaming the issue on goldwave’s development.

Please advise?

Mike M.

Sent: Saturday, December 9, 2017 12:52 PM

No need to apologize.  I am a recent prisoner of Jaws having been a Window-eyes user for over 20 years and had to learn this just a few months ago.

On Windows 10, the way I learned it was to tap the Windows key to bring up the search box.

I then arrow down a little ways into the list of apps and hit the letter j, then continue arrowing to Jaws 2018, or Jaws 18, whichever.

Hit the space bar.

You want the ENU folder, which is the English US assuming that is where you are.

Now, all should be well.

HTH,

Richard

Ok my friend:

Mike M.

Richard

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

Richard Turner

Hi Mike,

I hope the Law school finals go well. 

I doubt this is helpful, but did you leave the zip file in the enu file?

Perhaps removing it, and rebooting?

I do not know if the JAWS scripts require a certain resolution, but if you have trouble with the Jaws cursor, then it sounds like something else is going on.

Make sure the window is maximized.

I know Jaws has something about a Virtual Ribbon and it should be turned off.

I am not a Jaws expert by any stretch of anyone’s imagination, but if you search for turning off the virtual ribbon in Jaws via Google, you will probaby find the answer quickly.

Or, I know there are others on this list that use GoldWave and that know much more about the mysteries of Jaws.

I’m glad at least the sets are now installed, not that it does you much good yet.

I’m sure it will get sorted.  At last resort, you could call Jaws support and see if you actually get a helpful person.

Best of luck,

Richard

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:21 AM

Dear Mr. Richard:

First, please excuse the delay in returning the line; for I am studying for law school finals hence forth.

When I looked in the enu from within the jaws-explore-settings box, you were correct in that the goldwave.anything portions of the scripts were not present.

I then copied the zip file with the components of the scripts into the enu folder;

I extracted the zip file’s components within the enu making sure not to let the extractor create a subfolder under the enu folder.

Once goldwave opened, I check the script settings with insert-q and it says that “goldwave 5 and 6 settings are loaded.”

Furthermore, within the insert-1 help mode of jaws, the keys do say what they are supposed to do; such as: insert-s if pressed within help mode, jaws will say “announces the start marker position.”  However, once out of help mode, when I hit keys such as alt-shift-s to see where the start marker is, jaws remains mum.  When pressing any keys that should give information, jaws remains silent.

I apologize for the long explanation but I wish to give you an account of what I did so you can tell me where I missed anything within the process ou’ve prescribed.

One idea, I wonder if the resolution within windows10 needs to be a certain setting for jaws to work.  I ask this in contemplation because my jaws cursor never works; it says “blank blank” whenst I arrow around in jaws cursor mode.

I do thank you for reading this entirely; any suggestions from you or anyone else who might read this?  I’m afraid to call the jaws company for there is nothing to stop them from passing the buck and blaming the issue on goldwave’s development.

Please advise?

Mike M.

Hit the space bar.

Now, all should be well.

HTH,

Richard

Ok my friend:

Mike M.

Richard

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

John Covici

What version of the goldwave scripts do you have? I have 2_0 and
earlier versions may not work -- also make sure you have Jaws 18 or
2018, I am not sure about earlier versions.

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:40:27 -0500,
Richard Turner wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
Hi Mike,

I do not know if the JAWS scripts require a certain resolution, but if you have trouble with the Jaws cursor, then it sounds like something else is going on.

I am not a Jaws expert by any stretch of anyone’s imagination, but if you search for turning off the virtual ribbon in Jaws via Google, you will probaby find the answer quickly.

Or, I know there are others on this list that use GoldWave and that know much more about the mysteries of Jaws.

I’m glad at least the sets are now installed, not that it does you much good yet.

I’m sure it will get sorted. At last resort, you could call Jaws support and see if you actually get a helpful person.

Best of luck,

Richard

Dear Mr. Richard:

Furthermore, within the insert-1 help mode of jaws, the keys do say what they are supposed to do; such as: insert-s if pressed within help mode, jaws will say “announces the start marker position.” However, once out of help mode, when I
hit keys such as alt-shift-s to see where the start marker is, jaws remains mum. When pressing any keys that should give information, jaws remains silent.

One idea, I wonder if the resolution within windows10 needs to be a certain setting for jaws to work. I ask this in contemplation because my jaws cursor never works; it says “blank blank” whenst I arrow around in jaws cursor mode.

I do thank you for reading this entirely; any suggestions from you or anyone else who might read this? I’m afraid to call the jaws company for there is nothing to stop them from passing the buck and blaming the issue on goldwave’s
development.

Please advise?

Mike M.

No need to apologize. I am a recent prisoner of Jaws having been a Window-eyes user for over 20 years and had to learn this just a few months ago.

Hit the space bar.

Now, all should be well.

HTH,

Richard

Ok my friend:

In sum, step-by-step instructions would most be appreciated. Maybe wire off list?

Mike M.

Richard

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

mike mcglashon

Mr Richard:

Good news:

I found the culprit I think;

I went into the goldwave manual and looked up accessibility options;

It told me to go into windows start, look for goldwave setup and check the force screen reader mode box on.

Needless to say, I went into the win start menu did not locate any goldwave setup anything.

Then it occurred to me to see what was in goldwve itself.

I clicked options, then under that menu clicked window;

Then a dialogue box comes up, there is a set of radio buttons where one of them is maximized, and others say things like tile, cascade, horizontal vertical etc.  Once I radio checked the maximized, everything came alive.

Needless to say, I never did find the “forced screen reader mode from goldwave setup from windows startmenu

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:40 AM

Hi Mike,

I’m sure it will get sorted.  At last resort, you could call Jaws support and see if you actually get a helpful person.

Best of luck,

Richard

Dear Mr. Richard:

Please advise?

Mike M.

Hit the space bar.

Now, all should be well.

HTH,

Richard

Ok my friend:

Mike M.

Richard

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

mike mcglashon

Sorry Mr. John:
If have win10, jaws2018, and goldwave631;

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of John
Covici
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 10:37 AM

What version of the goldwave scripts do you have? I have 2_0 and earlier
versions may not work -- also make sure you have Jaws 18 or 2018, I am not
sure about earlier versions.

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:40:27 -0500,
Richard Turner wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Hi Mike,

I do not know if the JAWS scripts require a certain resolution, but if you
have trouble with the Jaws cursor, then it sounds like something else is
going on.

I know Jaws has something about a Virtual Ribbon and it should be turned
off.

I am not a Jaws expert by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but if you
search for turning off the virtual ribbon in Jaws via Google, you will
probaby find the answer quickly.

Or, I know there are others on this list that use GoldWave and that know
much more about the mysteries of Jaws.

I'm glad at least the sets are now installed, not that it does you much
good yet.

I'm sure it will get sorted. At last resort, you could call Jaws support
and see if you actually get a helpful person.

Best of luck,

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of mike
mcglashon

Dear Mr. Richard:

First, please excuse the delay in returning the line; for I am studying
for law school finals hence forth.

Second, I have performed the steps of which you outlined in previous
post;

When I looked in the enu from within the jaws-explore-settings box, you
were correct in that the goldwave.anything portions of the scripts were not
present.

I then copied the zip file with the components of the scripts into the
enu folder;

I extracted the zip file's components within the enu making sure not to
let the extractor create a subfolder under the enu folder.

Once goldwave opened, I check the script settings with insert-q and it
says that "goldwave 5 and 6 settings are loaded."

Furthermore, within the insert-1 help mode of jaws, the keys do say
what they are supposed to do; such as: insert-s if pressed within help
mode, jaws will say "announces the start marker position." However, once out
of help mode, when I hit keys such as alt-shift-s to see where the start
marker is, jaws remains mum. When pressing any keys that should give
information, jaws remains silent.

I apologize for the long explanation but I wish to give you an account of
what I did so you can tell me where I missed anything within the process
ou've prescribed.

One idea, I wonder if the resolution within windows10 needs to be a
certain setting for jaws to work. I ask this in contemplation because my
jaws cursor never works; it says "blank blank" whenst I arrow around in jaws
cursor mode.

I do thank you for reading this entirely; any suggestions from you or
anyone else who might read this? I'm afraid to call the jaws company for
there is nothing to stop them from passing the buck and blaming the issue on
goldwave's development.

Please advise?

Mike M.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Richard Turner

No need to apologize. I am a recent prisoner of Jaws having been a
Window-eyes user for over 20 years and had to learn this just a few months
ago.

On Windows 10, the way I learned it was to tap the Windows key to bring up
the search box.

I then arrow down a little ways into the list of apps and hit the letter
j, then continue arrowing to Jaws 2018, or Jaws 18, whichever.

Hit the space bar.

You want the ENU folder, which is the English US assuming that is where
you are.

Now, all should be well.

HTH,

Richard

mcglashon

Ok my friend:

Do I do it from within gw? And if so what keys do I hit or whatever to see
if my scripts are there?

Second, what folder would I copy them into assuming they are not in the
correct place already?

In sum, step-by-step instructions would most be appreciated. Maybe wire
off list?

Mike M.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Richard Turner

I'm not sure when this happened, but I suspect it was when I updated from
Jaws 18, but my GoldWave wasn't responding to the keystrokes.

I checked under Explore Scripts and the GoldWave script files were not
there.

I guess I am familiar enough with GoldWave that I worked around it the few
times I've used GoldWave since I upgraded to 2018.

I'm not sure if that is what's going on with you, but I'd double check
that all the files are where they need to be.

Richard

mcglashon

Hi guys:

Is this the correct set of scripts I should have, or are there others
floating around somewhere?

When I open a file in goldwave, or goldwave itself, jaws says the
percentage as it decompresses the file;

For instance, shift-alt-s is supposed to read the start marker
position;

It kind of feels like the areas of screen that hold all this info is not
congruent with the areas expected by the scripts to gather such info.

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Am trying to maneuver through hours of class lectures for Tuesday's final
exam.

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Richard Turner

I think that is an old reference that he hasn’t removed.  It used to have a “Blind mode” or “Screen Reader user” mode, but I haven’t run across that in years.

I think that might have gone away with at least version 6.

I’m glad setting the Windows at maximized did the trick.

Enjoy,

Richard

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:41 AM

Mr Richard:

Good news:

I found the culprit I think;

I went into the goldwave manual and looked up accessibility options;

It told me to go into windows start, look for goldwave setup and check the force screen reader mode box on.

Needless to say, I went into the win start menu did not locate any goldwave setup anything.

Then it occurred to me to see what was in goldwve itself.

I clicked options, then under that menu clicked window;

Then a dialogue box comes up, there is a set of radio buttons where one of them is maximized, and others say things like tile, cascade, horizontal vertical etc.  Once I radio checked the maximized, everything came alive.

Needless to say, I never did find the “forced screen reader mode from goldwave setup from windows startmenu

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:40 AM

Hi Mike,

Best of luck,

Richard

Dear Mr. Richard:

Please advise?

Mike M.

Hit the space bar.

Now, all should be well.

HTH,

Richard

Ok my friend:

Mike M.

Richard

Hi guys:

I hope this makes sense;

S O S

Thank you muchly.

Mike M.

Lee Maschmeyer

Note that Insert+Q should tell the script set being used. Would this help?

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll