moderated Need To Set Winamp To Be Default Player For Audio And Video Files

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I’m having trouble setting Winamp to be my default player for audio and video files on my Windows 10 laptop.

I have several sets of instructions here, but they seem to be outdated, since I can’t get them to work.

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2020.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Tom Behler

Jacob

I think it's related to compatibility isues in Windows 10. We're many who use and like Winamp but it really needs an update to work better with win 10. Unfortanely we can't be sure that this update will ever come. Here I found out that Winamp works better if always run it as Administrator. You can set that on the shortcut. YOu can also chose to install in C:\Wianamp insted of C:\Prgam files (X86)@Winamp. Winamp needs access to some files that is denied if it's running in normal mode when it's placed in the Program Files (X86) folder. Unfortunately if you run Winamp as an Admistartor you'll always be prompted by the User Account Control when you start it. I don't use UAC so here it's no problem. I also read that some people need to associate the file types manually to Winamp to make it work but here it haven't been necessary to do so.

OZ0TE Jacob

On 2020-05-25 at 09:15 Tom Behler wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I’m having trouble setting Winamp to be my default player for audio and video files on my Windows 10 laptop.

I have several sets of instructions here, but they seem to be outdated, since I can’t get them to work.

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2020.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Tom Behler

Andrew Summers

Hi Tom,

If it is windows 10, go to settings.

Then go to apps and default apps.

You will find it there.

HTH.

Andrew

I’m having trouble setting Winamp to be my default player for audio and video files on my Windows 10 laptop.

I have several sets of instructions here, but they seem to be outdated, since I can’t get them to work.

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2020.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Tom Behler

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

As is often the case, there is more than one way to do this. In Windows 10, if you can find an audio file on your system in File Explorer, press Alt+Enter while focused on it. This brings up its properties. You will probably land on a check box for Read Only. Shift+Tab to the Change button and press space to activate it. This lets you change the default program to launch the file type. If Winamp is installed, arrow through the list and focus on Windmp, then press enter.  Now, it’s the default program.

From: Tom Behler [mailto:tombehler@gmail.com]
To: jfw list <jfw@groups.io>
Date: Monday, May 25, 2020, 3:15 AM
Hello, everyone.

I’m having trouble setting Winamp to be my default player for audio and
video files on my Windows 10 laptop.

I have several sets of instructions here, but they seem to be outdated,
since I can’t get them to work.

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2020.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Got it, Mario.