From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Morey Worthington
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:42 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Eudora

Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Gerald Levy

Why would you want to use such an outdated and unsupported email program as Edora?  Instead, try Mozilla Thunderbird, which is largely based on Edora, and is completely compatible with JAWS 2020 and Windows 10.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 6:41 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Leo

I was going to say exactly the same...

Best,
Leo

On 5/19/2020 5:07 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

Why would you want to use such an outdated and unsupported email
program as Edora?  Instead, try Mozilla Thunderbird, which is largely
based on Edora, and is completely compatible with JAWS 2020 and
Windows 10.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 6:41 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Pat Byrne

Gerald,
Eudora did one thing and did it well. An analogy; I don't want my coffee maker to paint the garage, get the kids from day care and sweep the sidewalk. Sometimes simple is better. I am grudgingly working with Outlook but miss my old email client. RIP Eudora.
Pat Byrne

Why would you want to use such an outdated and unsupported email program
as Edora? Instead, try Mozilla Thunderbird, which is largely based on
Edora, and is completely compatible with JAWS 2020 and Windows 10.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 6:41 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Leo

Thunderbird is simple and at the same time, highly customizable. I don't understand user's who use outlook for non-business purposes. I have personally used thunderbird for years and don't have complaints, the day before yesterday, I even downloaded and addon to rearrange manually the order in which my e-mail accounts appear.

Best,
   Leo
On 5/19/2020 8:12 AM, Pat Byrne wrote:

Gerald,
Eudora did one thing and did it well.  An analogy; I don't want my coffee maker to paint the garage, get the kids from day care and sweep the sidewalk.  Sometimes simple is better.  I am grudgingly working with Outlook but miss my old email client.  RIP Eudora.
Pat Byrne

Why would you want to use such an outdated and unsupported email program
as Edora?  Instead, try Mozilla Thunderbird, which is largely based on
Edora, and is completely compatible with JAWS 2020 and Windows 10.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 6:41 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Glenn / Lenny

Yeah, one of the things I liked about it, and I haven't seen this in T-Bird
is that you could set it to put attachments that were downloaded in a
folder, so that the attachments were never in the eMail program, so if I got
an attachment from someone, I would not have to save it from my message.
Glenn

Why would you want to use such an outdated and unsupported email program
as Edora? Instead, try Mozilla Thunderbird, which is largely based on
Edora, and is completely compatible with JAWS 2020 and Windows 10.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 6:41 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

ratshtron

eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble here.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

ratshtron

hmmm, I have the read and unread graphics speaking for me since I have been updating the scripts for eudora for a while. if you like, I can send you a copy of the scripts along with the .jgf file that contains the labeled graphics that should work for you.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 06:06 AM, Ann Byrne said:
Eudora works with JAWS2020, except for the graphics that should be 'read', 'unread', 'forwarded', and so on. Our ISP finally stopped supporting the TLS protocol about a month ago, so we had to give it up. But JAWS wasn't the problem.

Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

ratshtron

thunderbird is nothing like eudora at all.
Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 06:07 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io said:

Why would you want to use such an outdated and unsupported email program as Edora? Instead, try Mozilla Thunderbird, which is largely based on Edora, and is completely compatible with JAWS 2020 and Windows 10.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 6:41 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...>

Yes, Eudora definitely does work.
My current issue is that Eudora works for me accept when sending e-mail.
This just started a few days ago.
So I am not sure if it is Eudora or Roadrunner.
I can send using outlook and Gmail, but currently not Eudora.
Any thoughts?
Larry

eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble
here.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

ratshtron

outside of having to add certificates manually, I am still using eudora 7.1.0.9 and do not have any trouble using it. thank you very much, lol!

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 09:12 AM, Pat Byrne said:
[...]

This is why using an outdated email program like Edora is a bad idea.  It may stop working with your email service provider at any time for no apparent reason.  Maybe it's just obsolete and is no longer supported by the provider.  And there is no guarantee that a feature update to Windows 10 won't break it or even delete it, as it does to Outlook Express. So for those of you who still swear by it, great.  But don't be surprised if it suddenly stops working or else you have to start jumping through hoops to keep it working.

Gerald

On 5/19/2020 1:46 PM, Larry Gassman wrote:
Yes, Eudora definitely does work.
My current issue is that Eudora works for me accept when sending e-mail.
This just started a few days ago.
So I am not sure if it is Eudora or Roadrunner.
I can send using outlook and Gmail, but currently not Eudora.
Any thoughts?
Larry

eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble
here.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

ratshtron

try adding the certificate on the sending mail catagory just like you would with the receiving mail catagory. that should clear up your problem.
Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 12:46 PM, Larry Gassman said:
Yes, Eudora definitely does work.
My current issue is that Eudora works for me accept when sending e-mail.
This just started a few days ago.
So I am not sure if it is Eudora or Roadrunner.
I can send using outlook and Gmail, but currently not Eudora.
Any thoughts?
Larry

eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble
here.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Curtis Delzer

Hey Larry, this info may help you.

At 5/5/2019 02:01 PM, Carol J. Elkins wrote:
At 11:00 PM 5/4/2019, Eudora-Win Digest wrote:
Have you patched your sister's Eudora to use the new Hermes QCSSL libraries? If not, there's good odds these days from that symptom you've described that this is what you'll need.

I'll send instructions if you confirm this update hasn't yet been made to her Eudora.

Ken, I'd appreciate receiving the most recent instructions for installing the Hermes qcssl.dll When it was discussed back in February, I saved several messages that continued to tweak the instructions. Having a fresh set all in one place would be helpful.

Hi, Carol,

Here you go! They're all essentially the same at the core. I just tweak to make more precise and/or add a couple of notes that might help in some cases. Here's today's update:

--------------------

Although the developers working on Hermes haven't yet released that, they HAVE released an updated SSL library for Eudora that you can patch right into your existing copy of Eudora 7.1. It will (1) resolve a lot of certificate problems, and (2) add support for TLS 1.1 and 1.2, which will keep Eudora working with mail servers that have dropped or will soon drop support for TLS 1.0.

To install this SSL library into your existing Eudora installation:

(Use at your own risk: I am unaffiliated with the Hermes project, but merely a satisfied user trying to make things easier with these instructions.)

1) Download this ZIP file and extract it somewhere: NOTE: If you downloaded this already but before Oct. 29, 2018, you'll need to download it again now, because the pre-Oct. 29th version wasn't fully functional.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/HermSSL.zip/download

2) Quit Eudora

3) Find your Eudora program files folder, the one that contains Eudora.exe, which is likely a different folder than your Eudora data folder.
(In Windows Vista/7/8/10, this might be like "...\Program Files(x86)...\Qualcomm\Eudora". In Windows XP and earlier, it might be like "...\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora". But it just depends on where you installed Eudora.)

4) Make backup copies of these 4 files that are in your Eudora program files folder: libeay32.dll, QCSSL.dll, rootcerts.p7b, ssleay32.dll

5) Run vcredist.exe that you extracted in step 1. You might already have a new enough version of this Microsoft library on your system, in which case it will tell you that and will abort. That's fine: it means you already have the needed Microsoft library and can proceed.

6) Copy these new 4 files you extracted in step 1 (libeay32.dll, QCSSL.dll, rootcerts.p7b, ssleay32.dll) into your Eudora program files folder. You'll see they're from 2018 instead of 2006.

7) Start Eudora.

8) Check your incoming and outgoing mail settings.
(Your main settings are under Tools->Options->"Checking Mail" and "Sending Mail". They're additionally in each of your Personalities that you use to send and receive mail: Tools->Personalities, and then for each personality, right click, Properties, and look at both tabs "Generic Properties" and "Incoming Mail".)
In each of those two places, look at the "Secure Sockets when Sending" / "Secure Sockets when Receiving" dropdown. If you see "If Available, STARTTLS" or "Required, STARTTLS" in any of those places, some mail servers might need those to be changed to "Required, Alternate Port".

9) Attempt to retrieve email and send email with your personality/ies. Most certificate errors should be gone, and sending and receiving should be functional.

10) If you're using a server that has support for TLS 1.1 or 1.2, you can verify that Eudora is now using one of these: Go to each of the two places described in step 8 (i.e. in "Options" and/or as any Personality you've successfully connected with since restarting Eudora). In each, press the button "Last SSL Info". On the info window that pops up, find the "SSL version field". You should see "TLSv1.2" or "TLSv1.1", instead of "TLSv1", which will confirm that the new libraries are now using the new protocols with those servers.

Enjoy,
Ken

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 5/19/2020 10:46 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:
Yes, Eudora definitely does work.
My current issue is that Eudora works for me accept when sending e-mail.
This just started a few days ago.
So I am not sure if it is Eudora or Roadrunner.
I can send using outlook and Gmail, but currently not Eudora.
Any thoughts?
Larry
eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble
here.
Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Ann Byrne

Thanks. That would be great.

Ann

Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Curtis Delzer

I would also a copy of that scripts graphics file. I have the original jfw eudora support files for scripts way way back. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 5/19/2020 1:21 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
Thanks. That would be great.
Ann

Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>

My concern about using Eudora is that it no longer receives updates, particularly updates which improve or fix security issues. This is something that I ask Eudora users to consider.

On 5/19/2020 1:46 PM, Larry Gassman wrote:
Yes, Eudora definitely does work.
My current issue is that Eudora works for me accept when sending e-mail.
This just started a few days ago.
So I am not sure if it is Eudora or Roadrunner.
I can send using outlook and Gmail, but currently not Eudora.
Any thoughts?
Larry

eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble
here.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Glenn / Lenny

I really don't find security to be an issue with an eMail program.
If you don't open attachments from unknown senders, and if you don't follow
links from unknown senders, you will stay safe from anything that might
wander in to your inbox.
Glenn

eudora 7.1.0.9 works quite well with jaws 2020 and windows 10. no trouble
here.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 5/19/2020 05:41 AM, Morey Worthington said:
Morning all. Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which
might work with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Just food for thought.

Thanks,

Morey Worthington

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 06:41 AM 5/19/2020, Morey Worthington wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a version of Eudora which might work
with Jaws2020 and Win 10?

Yes sir! Eudora has been my exclusive email client since 1997. I continued using the last official version 7.1.9 even after upgrading to Windows 10. There is now an update to qualcomm's open-source code called Hermes. Google Hermes Project and you'll be in business. It works great with JAWS.

Orlando Enrique Fiol