moderated Is Python coding something I can do with JAWS?

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

I have several friends and coworkers who are teaching themselves Python.  I haven’t done coding since college in the early 1990’s, and that was just a required computer science class.  Is Python a language I could potentially learn and use with JAWS?  If so, anyone have any recommended resources for self-learning?  I just saw a Groupon deal for a Python class, but I have no idea if the online learning tool would be accessible; It’s only $17, so I might try it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Yes, you can code Python using JAWS. I don’t do such things, but apparently the biggest trick is keeping track of indentation. A free text editor called EdSharp is designed to do this, among lots of other things. If you want it, I will try to come up with the GitHub link.

There’s also the programmingblind mailing list on freelists.

I have several friends and coworkers who are teaching themselves Python.  I haven’t done coding since college in the early 1990’s, and that was just a required computer science class.  Is Python a language I could potentially learn and use with JAWS?  If so, anyone have any recommended resources for self-learning?  I just saw a Groupon deal for a Python class, but I have no idea if the online learning tool would be accessible; It’s only $17, so I might try it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Judith Pelaez <judithp1997@...>

Hi,

To be completely honest with you, I don’t know if you could do python with Jaws but, I do know where you could learn it.

There is a website where about every Tuesday Or so, a lot of people meet and work on things together. I’m a part of that website but I’ve never been to a class before so I’m not really sure what they do in the Python programming class. You can join by following the link below though.

Out-Of-Sight.net
They provide you with the necessary materials you need to start learning and from what I heard, they’re pretty good group.

Hope this helps.

Judith Pelaez

On May 18, 2020, at 12:49 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have several friends and coworkers who are teaching themselves Python.  I haven’t done coding since college in the early 1990’s, and that was just a required computer science class.  Is Python a language I could potentially learn and use with JAWS?  If so, anyone have any recommended resources for self-learning?  I just saw a Groupon deal for a Python class, but I have no idea if the online learning tool would be accessible; It’s only $17, so I might try it.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Michael Malver

You can definitely code in python. I believe jaws has a feature that will read you the indentation levels. When I did coding in python, I was using a different screen reader primarily.
notepad++ is an editor used by many sighted and I would suggest you use it. If you’ll be working with your colleagues, find out what editors they use, and perhaps we on this list can tell you if it is  accessible.

On May 18, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Judith Pelaez via groups.io <judithp1997@...> wrote:

[...]

Mario

I found the downloads for 4.0.1, but when I tried to save the executable, Chrome pstopped the download because "it may be not safe", but the .zip sourse saved okay:

https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp/releases/download/4.0.1/EdSharp_setup.exe

https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp/archive/4.0.1.zip

I have several friends and coworkers who are teaching themselves
Python.  I haven’t done coding since college in the early 1990’s, and
that was just a required computer science class.  Is Python a language I
could potentially learn and use with JAWS?  If so, anyone have any
recommended resources for self-learning?  I just saw a Groupon deal for
a Python class, but I have no idea if the online learning tool would be
accessible; It’s only $17, so I might try it.

**

*Robin Van Lant,* Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance <http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/> & Key
Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from
disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If
you received this communication in error, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic
or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the
services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

,

Thank you.  I will look into it. Still deciding if learning Python would be of use to me; seems like a nice opportunity to learn something new and glad there is a good interactive forum for it.

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

One good feature of EdSharp is that if you prefer using C like blocking code instead of Python indentation, EdSharp has a way of then converting that into indentation.
Microsoft has been working hard at making Visual Studio Code screen reader accessible and I believe that they have a syntax system that understands python syntax.