Topics

Navigating the audible.com site with jaws

Kimber Gardner

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I've been an audible subscriber for a long
time but recent changes on the site have made it next to impossible to
read with jaws.

For example, I receive the newsletter with recommendations but when I
click through to the site, I am confronted with listbox after listbox
with no way of accessing the information contained there. Pressing
enter supposedly opens the listbox but then what? Down arrow does
nothing and tab just takes me out of the area I'm trying to read.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to manage this crazy layout.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kim

--
Kimberly

Hi Kim,

Is this on a PC? I just followed the link from my Daily Deal newsletter and saw no difference, heading level 1 took me to the book title, then heading level 2 pressed twice took me to the publisher's notes/description..
I also closed Audible and then opened it just by going to www.Audible.com, I then searched for an author, Kenn Follett, and all his books were listed, I had the usual Add to Cart, Add to Wishlist etc, also the play sample and pressing enter on the book title took me into the details screen.
I then went to my wish list and after adding one Ken Follett book to the cart I added the new Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt book from my wish list, then went to the cart and checked out as normal.
Can you explain more where you experience these list boxes, what computer, browser and screenreader do you use? For me with Windows 10, Google Chrome and Jaws 2018 the site is perfectly accessible.

Regards,
Sieghard

Hoping someone can help me. I've been an audible subscriber for a long time but recent changes on the site have made it next to impossible to read with jaws.

For example, I receive the newsletter with recommendations but when I click through to the site, I am confronted with listbox after listbox with no way of accessing the information contained there. Pressing enter supposedly opens the listbox but then what? Down arrow does nothing and tab just takes me out of the area I'm trying to read.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to manage this crazy layout.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kim

--
Kimberly

Kimber Gardner

Hi Sieghard,

Primarily I have these issues when following links in recommendation
newsletters like our editors recommend blah blah blah. It seems the
recommended titles are contained in listboxes though they don't seem
to function like any listboxes I've ever seen before.

I'm using jaws on a windows 7 computer and see the same issues
regardless of whether I access the site with firefox or internet
explorer.

Interestingly, if I go to the audible site and perform a search for an
author or title everything is fine and I can move around the page just
as you describe. Apparently these listboxes are used only in certain
situations like the recommendations I described above.

Kim

On 12/6/17, Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I've been an audible subscriber for a long
time but recent changes on the site have made it next to impossible to
read with jaws.

For example, I receive the newsletter with recommendations but when I
click through to the site, I am confronted with listbox after listbox
with no way of accessing the information contained there. Pressing
enter supposedly opens the listbox but then what? Down arrow does
nothing and tab just takes me out of the area I'm trying to read.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to manage this crazy layout.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kim

--
Kimberly

--
Kimberly

Coleman, Alton A <ColemanAA@...>

Perhaps the list boxes in question function like a combo box, where you need to press SHIFT + DOWN ARROW to open the list, once you are in forms mode?
Just a thought.

[...]

ely.r@...

Morning,
Agree about the navigation issues with the Audible site. One simple thing that bother me was the labeling of the button to confirm a purchase. Not recalling that label at the moment, but it had nothing to do with what the button was meant to do.

I mention this as I called support and reported it. Though it took about six weeks or so, they eventually relabeled it. I am sure you hear the note at the top of the sites pages that they are making efforts to improve the site for screen readers. I have not seen any changes that have improved functionality. I think that it is time that we screen reader users start a little campaign to keep this issue at the fore. I love the sight and have figured little work arounds, but given that it is owned by Amazon, there should be enough funding to make the site truly accessible.

If we are emailing support, what about coming up with a subject line that we all use with our suggestion? Same could be done if we call. Any ideas?
Rick