Topics

moderated Uploading files to google docs

Ann Byrne

How do I upload a file to google Docs from Word?

Thx,

Ann,

            If you're just trying to upload it so that other people can download it, then you literally just activate the New button in the Google Drive window (I'm presuming web interface here) and you'll be given a context menu that includes File Upload.  You'd select that and go through the usual steps with Windows to navigate to and select the file you wish to upload.

            If you're talking about actually creating a Google Doc, then you'd follow the above up to the New button, but go to Google Docs in the context menu and select the Blank Document option from its submenu.  Then copy all of your original Word document, paste it in to the Google Doc, then save it.

            I have scads of actual MS-Word documents on Google Drive, but don't use Google Docs itself to create and edit documents.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Ann Byrne

Okay.  So I use google drive, not google docs?

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:23 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
Okay.  So I use google drive, not google docs?
Ann,

          Google did no one any favors when they repurposed the name Google Docs to apply to their web equivalent of MS-Word after having used it for what is now called Google Drive (and has been for several years).

           Google Drive is, quite simply, cloud storage.  Think of it as a disk drive in the sky.

           Google Docs is the Google web version of the MS-Word (and similar) word processors.

           Since I do not know whether you want something truly as a Google Doc, as opposed to a file of any type stored on the cloud using Google Drive (and likely shared in some way), I can't tell you which you should be using.  But based on what I've said here, you should know.

            I'll be happy to provide more detailed step-by-step instructions, if needed, for the direction you need to go.  My guess is you won't need them, except perhaps for sharing on Google Drive, and maybe not even then.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss