Topics

moderated advanced users: Multiple cursors

Mark

I sometimes wonder if all the cursors and system focus in JAWS can be moved to separate spots on the page, as if you had one hand feeling the top of the wall and the other hand feeling a lower part of the wall, each hand gathering information from different places. For example, I noticed you can route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. But I don't think I have a firm understanding of that. Can intermediate or advanced JAWS users say something about that?

Edward Green

Hi Mark,

You can do this to an extent. For example, when you turn on the JAWS cursor you are in effect moving the mouse pointer round the screen, leaving the PC cursor where it is. The route PC to JAWS then moves the PC cursor to where the JAWS cursor is, to save you the bother of moving the cursor yourself.

The real barrier for what you want to accomplish is that JAWS broadly speaking uses the same commands to move all of its cursors, and you decide which cursor you want to move by activating it.

This makes sense from one perspective because it saves having to remember a bunch of commands or saves JAWS commands conflicting with commands for Windows or the application you happen to be using.

However, other screen readers take/took different approaches. Back when it existed, Window-Eyes used different commands for moving the PC cursor and the mouse pointer. That meant that you could do what you say, and not be restricted only to having one cursor active at a time.

Cheers,

Ed

On Thu, 14 May 2020, 10:13 Mark, <mweiler@...> wrote:
I sometimes wonder if all the cursors and system focus in JAWS can be moved to separate spots on the page, as if you had one hand feeling the top of the wall and the other hand feeling a lower part of the wall, each hand gathering information from different places. For example, I noticed you can route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. But I don't think I have a firm understanding of that. Can intermediate or advanced JAWS users say something about that?

Mario

the JAWS cursor can be moved independently around the screen while the PC cursor remains in one spot. the JAWS cursor does not have to be routed to where the PC cursor is every time the JAWS cursor is used.

I sometimes wonder if all the cursors and system focus in JAWS can be
moved to separate spots on the page, as if you had one hand feeling the
top of the wall and the other hand feeling a lower part of the wall,
each hand gathering information from different places. For example, I
noticed you can route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. But I don't
think I have a firm understanding of that. Can intermediate or advanced
JAWS users say something about that?

Van Lant, Robin

Mark,

I’m still getting my head around using the JAWS cursor, as it doesn’t work like what I was  used to with Window Eyes.  As far as routing the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor, there are a couple of reasons I have found to need to do this.

  • I might be on a page and need to click something with the mouse.  I’ll hit the key to route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. It’s not always perfect in doing this on web pages, but is generally accurate in editable documents.
  • I’ve also been advised to use this in dialog boxes that aread reading fully or where I need to read the contents line by line or character by character.  If a dialog opens, I may route the JAWS cursor, then hit insert R to restrict the boundaries for where the JAWS cursor can move, then arrow up and down to read the contents of the box with the JAWS cursor.
  • If I want to read an email address in Outlook character by character, I might route the JAWS cursor to it, then use the left and right arrow keys to read letter by letter.

One tip I’ve appreciated is to change the voice used for JAWS cursor so that you are clear as to which cursor you are using.  I have a male voice for my PC cursor, and a female voice for when I enable the JAWS cursor.