Topics

moderated How to remove the check boxes that proceed my file names

Jim Weiss

All,’I just bought a new laptop and all of my file names in file explorer and the icons on the desktop have a check box that proceed them.  I remember changing this setting a long time ago, but for the life of me I can’t find it.  I seem to remember making this change inside of file explorer, but can’t remember where.  Also, what is the purpose for the check boxes?
Thank you in advance,
Jim
P.S.  I apologize if this is a very basic question, but I am a Mac user just getting back into the Windows pool and to say the least I am still in the kiddie pool.
Jim Weiss

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark; than alone in the light.” | Helen Keller

fenderwal@...

If by File Explorer you mean Windows Explorer, here's what to do.

Open Windows Explorer.
press Alt-T for Tools, O for options.
In the property page that opens, shift tab to the tab controls and right arrow to the view tab.
Tab to the tree view and find the item called "Use check boxes to select items." I pressed the letter U and jumped right to it.
Press spacebar to unselect the tree view item.
Tab to OK and press spacebar.

If File Explorer is different than Windows Explorer, maybe File Explorer copied the menu choices, property page and so on from Windows Explorer. Couldn't hurt to try.

All,’I just bought a new laptop and all of my file names in file explorer and the icons on the desktop have a check box that proceed them.  I remember changing this setting a long time ago, but for the life of me I can’t find it.  I seem to remember making this change inside of file explorer, but can’t remember where.  Also, what is the purpose for the check boxes?
Thank you in advance,
Jim
P.S.  I apologize if this is a very basic question, but I am a Mac user just getting back into the Windows pool and to say the least I am still in the kiddie pool.
Jim Weiss

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark; than alone in the light.” | Helen Keller

Jim Weiss

Thank you.  Yes, Windows Explorer, my terminology is very out of date.  My last time using Windows was in 2011 and I was sighted then.  Like I mentioned, I am a complete newbie to Windows again.
Jim Weiss

“The only thing worse then being blind is having sight with no vision” | Helen Keller

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:25 AM, Jim Weiss wrote:
Yes, Windows Explorer, my terminology is very out of date.
And, actually, File Explorer is the current terminology for what had been called Windows Explorer for decades.  But, even in "the biz" you hear these two terms get used interchangeably.  I still occasionally say Windows Explorer even though I've trained myself to say File Explorer almost exclusively over the last 5 years.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Back in the Windows 3.1 days, I believe it was called File Manager.

Alan Lemly

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 05:25 AM, Jim Weiss wrote:

Yes, Windows Explorer, my terminology is very out of date.

And, actually, File Explorer is the current terminology for what had been called Windows Explorer for decades.  But, even in "the biz" you hear these two terms get used interchangeably.  I still occasionally say Windows Explorer even though I've trained myself to say File Explorer almost exclusively over the last 5 years.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White

Hi, Jim. The reason for having check boxes by the files is to show which file or files you have selected. It's just another visual way of highlighting files that are selected.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All,’I just bought a new laptop and all of my file names in file explorer and the icons on the desktop have a check box that proceed them.  I remember changing this setting a long time ago, but for the life of me I can’t find it.  I seem to remember making this change inside of file explorer, but can’t remember where.  Also, what is the purpose for the check boxes?

Thank you in advance,

Jim

P.S.  I apologize if this is a very basic question, but I am a Mac user just getting back into the Windows pool and to say the least I am still in the kiddie pool.

Jim Weiss

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark; than alone in the light.” | Helen Keller

fenderwal@...

Thanks, Brian. I wasn't certain whether some software developer, heretofore unknown to me, had come up with what they believed was a "better mouse trap."

Lou N.