moderated Word 2010 Opening Old Documents

Mike B.

Hi All,

Running J16 thru J2020 With Window 7 & 10 and Office / Word 2010.  What can I do, or how do I set my default settings so that old documents will open and read using the updated settings of the, Normal.dotm?  Thanks much.

You can't.

Normal.dot or Normal.dotm in newer versions is what is used when creating a blank document from scratch.  You can also, after having done so, reconfigure virtually everything in that document to be different, font, size, color, etc., etc., etc.

Documents carry their own attributes with them once they have been created.  No reference is made to Normal.dot(m) for an existing document.  Whatever it is you want changed is going to have to be changed on a document-by-document basis (unless there's a utility I don't know about for doing so in batch - but even then it won't be via anything related to Normal.dot(m)).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B.

Okay, thank you very much.  I thought I had read somewhere that there was a way of doing this, but it was probably something I misunderstood.

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: Word 2010 Opening Old Documents

You can't.

Normal.dot or Normal.dotm in newer versions is what is used when creating a blank document from scratch.  You can also, after having done so, reconfigure virtually everything in that document to be different, font, size, color, etc., etc., etc.

Documents carry their own attributes with them once they have been created.  No reference is made to Normal.dot(m) for an existing document.  Whatever it is you want changed is going to have to be changed on a document-by-document basis (unless there's a utility I don't know about for doing so in batch - but even then it won't be via anything related to Normal.dot(m)).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

I notice you have a number of thoughtful responses. I’m wondering if what you’re looking for is the special paste command. Although I use special paste all the time, I haven’t done so for this purpose. Here’s how I’d try.

Open the old document in your version of Word.

Control-a to select all, control-c to copy.

Then create a new document and keep focus there.

Press control-alt-v. You will be shown a list of several format options. I choose unformatted so that the pasted copy will take your default format for newly created documents.

Apologies if I’m writing from left field.

Running J16 thru J2020 With Window 7 & 10 and Office / Word 2010.  What can I do, or how do I set my default settings so that old documents will open and read using the updated settings of the, Normal.dotm?  Thanks much.

Mike B.

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I use the paste special all the time, but I was trying to be lazy!  LOL  I was hoping there was a way to make older .DOCX files open using the current normal.dotm settings, but apparently there's not such an animal.  Whenever I open an older .DOCX file I'll either change it's settings or do as you suggested.  Thanks much.