From: "Lenny McHugh" <LennyMcHugh@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 9:37 PM
Subject: create a rule for this list

Ok folks, I have message rules for every group to which I belong. I am using
office 2019. How do I create a rule for this group? All of my other groups I
target on the group name being within the subject.
All help welcomed. I want to send these messages to my jfw folder.
Thanks Lenny
--
Please visit my web page
https://www.LennyMcHugh.com

I believe that:

[jfw]

shows up in the subject of any message from this group.  But it's been ages since I used the e-mail interface.  But I know that the NVDA group uses [nvda] and Android Accessibility has [androidaccessibility].  It would only make sense that this group uses [jfw] in all its subjects when e-mail is sent.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Hi Lenny,

Because people will use different criteria from their address book when sending to this group I've had to use both the, To & CC field option,  Below is what I use when creating a message rule for this group.

Apply this rule after the message arrives Where the To or CC line contains 'jfw@groups.io' or 'main@jfw.groups.io'

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 7:37 PM

Ok folks, I have message rules for every group to which I belong. I am using office 2019. How do I create a rule for this group? All of my other groups I target on the group name being within the subject.
All help welcomed. I want to send these messages to my jfw folder.
Thanks Lenny
--
Please visit my web page
 https://www.LennyMcHugh.com

I changed my subscription to individual messages, and thanks to Mike B's reply I can definitively state that I was wrong, completely wrong, about the [jfw].

But, both the To: and Reply-To: fields in the message are main@jfw.groups.io

So long as your filter is does an "or" as Mike has specified for the value in either to To: or CC: fields you should be fine, but I'd start out just filtering on To: and see if that is enough.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Pramit

Hi Lenny,

Follow the below steps to create the rules to move the email from a particular group to a specific folder.

  1. Hit the application key on a message in your inbox and arrow down to select Rules.
  2. Right Arrow on Rules and select Create Rule.
  3. In the Create Rule dialogue box, select one or more of the first three checkboxes. (Check the box that says from email address)
  4. In the Do the following section, if you want the rule to move a message to a folder, check the Move item to folder box, then select the folder from the Select Folder dialogue that pops up, and then click OK. (Check the box that says, Move item to the folder)
  5. Click OK to save your rule.
Note: If you want to run the rule on messages you've already received, check the box on the confirmation dialogue that pops up and then click OK.

Hope this helps

Pramit

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 9:00 AM Lenny McHugh <LennyMcHugh@...> wrote:
Ok folks, I have message rules for every group to which I belong. I am using office 2019. How do I create a rule for this group? All of my other groups I target on the group name being within the subject.
All help welcomed. I want to send these messages to my jfw folder.
Thanks Lenny
--
Please visit my web page
 https://www.LennyMcHugh.com

Glenn / Lenny

One can test criteria for a rule first by using the "find" command, which in OE and in Outlook is shift + control + F.
Then use the various fields to find messages.
So in your "to" field put:
I'm sure you could filter with just
as well.
You can use as many fields as you wish, but the more criteria you use, the less it will find, and likewise, less it will filter.
But if that gets the results you want in a regular search filter, then use that criteria for your working filter.

Glenn

I changed my subscription to individual messages, and thanks to Mike B's reply I can definitively state that I was wrong, completely wrong, about the [jfw].

But, both the To: and Reply-To: fields in the message are main@jfw.groups.io

So long as your filter is does an "or" as Mike has specified for the value in either to To: or CC: fields you should be fine, but I'd start out just filtering on To: and see if that is enough.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Brian,

I suggested this because there are several people that cross post and I got tired of the straggler emails that come through into my In-box instead of the assigned folder.  It's not a big deal, but everytime I got 1 of these emails in my In-box instead of its folder it made me think, okay who the hell is this and where / why am I getting this crap!  LOL    So, I stopped that real quick by modifying my message rule.

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 9:07 PM

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:29 AM, Mike B wrote:
I suggested this because there are several people that cross post
Mike, I have no doubt you would have gotten tired of straggler messages from cross-posters.  There are many, many venues where cross-posting gets a single warning and immediate banning afterward.  It just is not done!

Your idea makes perfect sense if there are those with no training in netiquette who would dare cross-post.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

David Diamond

I find the delete key works fine for me. With some lists its my best friend.

Lenny McHugh

thank you, I always filtered from the subject

--
Please visit my web page
https://www.LennyMcHugh.com

When filtering a list, one's intuition is to use the "from" filter, but I
learned a long time back that this was incorrect, and the way to filter out
a list is to put it in the "to" field.
So to filter this list, in the to field, put:
main@jfw.groups.io
and you can send all messages that were sent to this list to another folder.
HTH.
Glenn