moderated urgent help please with Outlook

Andrew Summers

Hi All,

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

John Doering

Andrew:

This may be where you would want to call Microsoft accessibility at 800-936-5900

Help is free.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

Andrew Summers

I’ve done that and they can not replicate why.

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

Richard Turner

Did they log into your machine?
If not, you got a poor example of a support person.
I'd call again and ask if they could use the MSDT MicroSoft Diagnostic Tool and look at your system.

Richard

Linus to Charlie Brown: "Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good."

Sent with the iPhone SE 2020
www.turner42.com

On May 5, 2020, at 5:45 AM, Andrew Summers via groups.io <asummers112@...> wrote:

I’ve done that and they can not replicate why.

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

Richard Turner

Well, that really sucks.

So, you went into the default settings and selected Outlook as the default mail client, and you have Outlook all signed in, is this on a Microsoft Exchange account or just a local Microsoft account?

Do you have any other mail clients installed other than the native Windows Mail?

Have you considered reinstalling Microsoft 365?

Richard

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

Debby Hill

Hi Andrew,

I may be way off with this, but are you using Outlook on the web or have you downloaded it to your computer. When I read Office 365, I think of it being the web version. From what I have read, that isn’t as accessible with JAWS as what you download. If I am wrong about all of this, I know that someone will let us know.

By the way, one weekend my sister, a JAWS user had a significant problem with Windows and JAWS. We called Microsoft accessibility and spent over two hours off and on trouble shooting the problem. They didn’t fix it. Her Neighbor had it fixed in less than 30 minutes. My confidence in them was shaken, but it could have been just weekend help.

Good Luck!

Debby

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

This screams out for either doing a repair install on Office/Outlook (which I'd do first, if it's an option) or a complete uninstall/reinstall on Office/Outlook (which would require setting up your e-mail accounts again).

All of this presumes that the account(s) have been being accessed via IMAP or Exchange, not POP.  And if you've been using POP and have the option to shift to IMAP access, you should do so.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Debby:

I have had similar negative experiences with Microsoft Accessibility, especially when it comes to Outlook e-mail.

Last year, we spent several weeks and many hours on an Outlook issue, only to find that the culprit  was a Microsoft app that had been put on my computer in an update. The app  prevented me from sending e-mail from my personal g-mail account.  The culprit was something called the Microsoft Store Killer Control app.  It is a gaming app of some sort.

I’ve had additional less serious problems with them on some of the most basic Outlook issues, when I ended up suggesting the solution that ultimately worked.

In saying this, I realize that Microsoft Accessibility can be a valuable source of help for some;  but I have experienced serious shortcomings in the quality of their assistance and the level of knowledge at times.

Dr.  Tom Behler

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Tom Behler wrote:
I realize that Microsoft Accessibility can be a valuable source of help for some;  but I have experienced serious shortcomings in the quality of their assistance and the level of knowledge at times.
I think everyone who has used this service repeatedly has had the same sort of experience every once in a while.  The standard advice, which I follow, is once it becomes apparent that the particular tech you happen to be working with on the issue at hand doesn't know what they're doing, make a quick exit from the call with whatever excuse you care to use.  Then, if so inclined, call back.  You generally end up with a different tech and in many cases they do know what they're doing.

'Tis the nature of tech support, no matter whose.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

I think Debbie may be right on with her question, until Andrew confirms whether he has actually downloaded the Office installer from Office 365 and installed the suite

It makes little sense to speculate. Of course if Microsoft Accessibility had logged in one should assume they checked this.

Andrew, also one more question, how do you set Outlook as your default?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

I realize that Microsoft Accessibility can be a valuable source of help for some;  but I have experienced serious shortcomings in the quality of their assistance and the level of knowledge at times.

I think everyone who has used this service repeatedly has had the same sort of experience every once in a while.  The standard advice, which I follow, is once it becomes apparent that the particular tech you happen to be working with on the issue at hand doesn't know what they're doing, make a quick exit from the call with whatever excuse you care to use.  Then, if so inclined, call back.  You generally end up with a different tech and in many cases they do know what they're doing.

'Tis the nature of tech support, no matter whose.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Brian:

That’s exactly what I did when I had that major problem a year or so ago.

The second person I got finally understood the situation, after a number of hours, and escalated the case to a higher level in their system.

The person I ultimately got to discovered and fixed the issue within a half hour.

But, again, that was many hours, days, and phonecalls later.

This could have been a much more serious issue if I had been working and dealing with this in the work environment where demands on one’s time are great.

I don’t mean to complain or to be negative.  This was just my experience.

Tom Behler

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

I realize that Microsoft Accessibility can be a valuable source of help for some;  but I have experienced serious shortcomings in the quality of their assistance and the level of knowledge at times.

I think everyone who has used this service repeatedly has had the same sort of experience every once in a while.  The standard advice, which I follow, is once it becomes apparent that the particular tech you happen to be working with on the issue at hand doesn't know what they're doing, make a quick exit from the call with whatever excuse you care to use.  Then, if so inclined, call back.  You generally end up with a different tech and in many cases they do know what they're doing.

'Tis the nature of tech support, no matter whose.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Sharon

Otherwise, you end up getting one of your computers to stop working permanently online because they ruined the updater.

They spent many many hours trying to fix what they broke, but were unable to do so.

Talk about learning the hard way!

Sharon

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

I realize that Microsoft Accessibility can be a valuable source of help for some;  but I have experienced serious shortcomings in the quality of their assistance and the level of knowledge at times.

I think everyone who has used this service repeatedly has had the same sort of experience every once in a while.  The standard advice, which I follow, is once it becomes apparent that the particular tech you happen to be working with on the issue at hand doesn't know what they're doing, make a quick exit from the call with whatever excuse you care to use.  Then, if so inclined, call back.  You generally end up with a different tech and in many cases they do know what they're doing.

'Tis the nature of tech support, no matter whose.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Andrew. I had this same problem, and it was because there was an Outlook Add in from Eset Security running which was causing this behavior. Are you by any chance running any Eset Security or antivirus products?

The second thing I would suggest is to try running Outlook in safe mode. This is not the same as running Windows in Safe Mode. To run Outlook in Safe Mode:

1. Go to your Outlook Shortcut on the desktop, but don't press ENTER.

2. Hold down the CONTROL key and press ENTER on the Outlook desktop shortcut.

3. If Outlook asks you if you want to run Outlook in Safe Mode, click the Yes prompt.

4. See if you still get the error message in Outlook.

If not, this means that one of your installed Outlook add in's is causing the problem.

In this case, go into Outlook Options, select add in's, and uncheck each of the Outlook add in's sequentially to figure out which is the culprit.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I need your urgent help please with Outlook.

I am using windows 10 and Office 365.

I don’t get it with JAWS or the built in reader in windows.

I have set it as the default mail client.

What can I do next?

Outlook keeps coming up with the message below.

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot

fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it

as the default mail client.

OK

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Outlook is not responding

If you close the program, it will try to recover your

information.

Close the program

Wait for the program to respond

Lino Morales

You know if they spoke proper ENGLISH that would really help. This is why I wish MS would employ tech folk here in Washington state not the Philipines.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM, Tom Behler wrote:

I realize that Microsoft Accessibility can be a valuable source of help for some;  but I have experienced serious shortcomings in the quality of their assistance and the level of knowledge at times.

I think everyone who has used this service repeatedly has had the same sort of experience every once in a while.  The standard advice, which I follow, is once it becomes apparent that the particular tech you happen to be working with on the issue at hand doesn't know what they're doing, make a quick exit from the call with whatever excuse you care to use.  Then, if so inclined, call back.  You generally end up with a different tech and in many cases they do know what they're doing.

'Tis the nature of tech support, no matter whose.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

There you go, exactly what I just said, maybe you could tell Microsoft you are willing to pay for your support if they hire people in the US although I’d rather talk to a Filipina or Filipino who speaks good English than to somebody from some place in the States where the local dialect is even harder to understand.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 01:14 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
I don’t mean to complain or to be negative.  This was just my experience.
I don't ever view reporting of experiences, and particularly negative ones, in a measured manner as "being negative."  We've all been there.

But it all comes back to the last thing I said earlier:  'Tis the nature of tech support, no matter whose.

Any of us who've been in the business I'm in to make a living knows that, on far too many occasions, technical support is neither.  But where they're based out of, what company it is, and any host of other factors won't change the basic fact that, in any professional arena, there are individuals of varying skill sets and backgrounds that can and will directly affect quality of service.  I wish we all got "the great masters" when we called tech support, but . . .

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 01:47 PM, Sharon wrote:
Talk about learning the hard way!
I suggest you take on board the meaning of the old saying:  One bad apple doesn't spoil the barrel.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

James Bentley

Please let me insert my two cents worth.

First, Do an image backup of your PC if possible just in case it becomes necessary to do a complete recovery of your hard drive after tech support attempts a repair.

Pay close attention to everything that the tech support person is doing.  Often, it is you who will be the person who comes up with the solution to fix your PC.  But, it is sometimes necessary to have the sighted assistance to get the job done.

James B