moderated Blank Line Keystroke

Mike B.

Howdy All,

Does anyone know if there's a keystroke that will take you to the next blank line?  And if so, what is this keystroke?  Thanks mooy moocho.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Mike,
In word processors, the new line is shown as \n
It might depend on which program you are reading in.
For example, when I am using notepad ++ and I want to remove blank lines, I do a search and replace for \n
two in a row may represent a blank line where \n alone may represent the beginning of a new line.
Not sure if Jaws would look for this in the hidden characters though.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
To: JList
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 6:43 PM
Subject: Blank Line Keystroke

Howdy All,

Does anyone know if there's a keystroke that will take you to the next blank line?  And if so, what is this keystroke?  Thanks mooy moocho.

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Mike B.

Howdy Glenn,

Using Notepad & Word the, \n, doesn't do much of anything that I could tell, nor doing, \n\n, either. 

What I'm trying to do is find the next blank line after a block or paragraph of text in either Notepad or Word.  I do a quite a bit of cutting / pasting and finding the next blank line would speed things up quite a bit for what I'm doing.  Thanks.

Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: Blank Line Keystroke

Hi Mike,
For example, when I am using notepad ++ and I want to remove blank lines, I do a search and replace for \n
two in a row may represent a blank line where \n alone may represent the beginning of a new line.
Glenn

Howdy All,

Glenn / Lenny

I would use notepad ++, it's free.
It can detect both \n and \r for lines and returns.
If you do, you might find that a complete blank line may have two \ns together:
\n\n
Good luck.
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 9:04 PM

Howdy Glenn,

Using Notepad & Word the, \n, doesn't do much of anything that I could tell, nor doing, \n\n, either. 

What I'm trying to do is find the next blank line after a block or paragraph of text in either Notepad or Word.  I do a quite a bit of cutting / pasting and finding the next blank line would speed things up quite a bit for what I'm doing.  Thanks.
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 5:03 PM

Hi Mike,
Glenn

Howdy All,

Nermin

Hi Mike,

try control+down or up arrow for next and previous. In most applications, this should do what you want.

Regards,
Nermin

Mike B.

Hi Nermin,

Thank you very much.  What's weird is this works in Notepad, but not in Word 2010, at least on both my Win7 & 10 systems.  Thanks again, this will really save time from having to down arrow 1 line at a time to find the next blank line.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 3:19 AM

Hi Mike,

try control+down or up arrow for next and previous. In most applications, this should do what you want.

Regards,
Nermin

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Word uses different keystrokes. There’s a list of items you can locate in documents, I can try to find it later. You also use the special menu once you expand the Advanced Find dialog.

Dean

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 8:35 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi Nermin,

Thank you very much.  What's weird is this works in Notepad, but not in Word 2010, at least on both my Win7 & 10 systems.  Thanks again, this will really save time from having to down arrow 1 line at a time to find the next blank line.

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

You could search for two paragraph symbols in a row. So, control-f, and type in the edit field: ^p^p

Sometimes another character appears between paragraph signs, such as a tab or a space. When I’m cleaning up documents for editing purposes, I will do the following in this sequence:

Search for ^t (tab) and replace with space.

Search for ^p space and replace with ^p

Then search for ^p^p

It can get more complicated, but that’s the gist.

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Mike,
That one is so basic, I figured you knew about it.
That is why I thought you needed something more obscure as the \N.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,
Nermin

Mike B.

Yes, I figured Word used different keystrokes, but I couldn't find a character string or word to use for blank line in the advanced find settings.  I tried several of the find options without success.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 6:10 AM

Word uses different keystrokes. There’s a list of items you can locate in documents, I can try to find it later. You also use the special menu once you expand the Advanced Find dialog.

Dean

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Mike B.

Hi Adrian,

I've been trying various find combinations for the blank line, but what I'm working with has all formatting stripped out, so what I'm looking for is to get from a blank line on top of a block of text to the next blank line at the bottom of a block of text.  Thank you very much for these tips, they'll come in handy for a different type of Find & Replace I do daily.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 6:31 AM

Mike,

You could search for two paragraph symbols in a row. So, control-f, and type in the edit field: ^p^p

Sometimes another character appears between paragraph signs, such as a tab or a space. When I’m cleaning up documents for editing purposes, I will do the following in this sequence:

Search for ^t (tab) and replace with space.

Search for ^p space and replace with ^p

Then search for ^p^p

It can get more complicated, but that’s the gist.

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Mike B.

Hi Glenn,

You know, I use the control down arrow keystroke so seldom that I didn't even think about it, but in Word this keystroke doesn't do what I'm needing, at least in a document that doesn't have the formatting stripped out.  I'll try it with a document with the formatting stripped out a little later and see how it works.  Thanks much.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 7:53 AM

Hi Mike,
That one is so basic, I figured you knew about it.
That is why I thought you needed something more obscure as the \N.
Glenn
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,
Nermin