Topics

moderated Blank Line Keystroke

Mike B

Howdy All,

Does anyone know if there's a keystroke that will take you to the next blank line?  And if so, what is this keystroke?  Thanks mooy moocho.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Mike,
In word processors, the new line is shown as \n
It might depend on which program you are reading in.
For example, when I am using notepad ++ and I want to remove blank lines, I do a search and replace for \n
two in a row may represent a blank line where \n alone may represent the beginning of a new line.
Not sure if Jaws would look for this in the hidden characters though.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
To: JList
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 6:43 PM
Subject: Blank Line Keystroke

Howdy All,

Does anyone know if there's a keystroke that will take you to the next blank line?  And if so, what is this keystroke?  Thanks mooy moocho.

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Mike B

Howdy Glenn,

Using Notepad & Word the, \n, doesn't do much of anything that I could tell, nor doing, \n\n, either. 

What I'm trying to do is find the next blank line after a block or paragraph of text in either Notepad or Word.  I do a quite a bit of cutting / pasting and finding the next blank line would speed things up quite a bit for what I'm doing.  Thanks.

Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: Blank Line Keystroke

Hi Mike,
For example, when I am using notepad ++ and I want to remove blank lines, I do a search and replace for \n
two in a row may represent a blank line where \n alone may represent the beginning of a new line.
Glenn

Howdy All,

Glenn / Lenny

I would use notepad ++, it's free.
It can detect both \n and \r for lines and returns.
If you do, you might find that a complete blank line may have two \ns together:
\n\n
Good luck.
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 9:04 PM

Howdy Glenn,

Using Notepad & Word the, \n, doesn't do much of anything that I could tell, nor doing, \n\n, either. 

What I'm trying to do is find the next blank line after a block or paragraph of text in either Notepad or Word.  I do a quite a bit of cutting / pasting and finding the next blank line would speed things up quite a bit for what I'm doing.  Thanks.
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 5:03 PM

Hi Mike,
Glenn

Howdy All,

Nermin

Hi Mike,

try control+down or up arrow for next and previous. In most applications, this should do what you want.

Regards,
Nermin

Mike B

Hi Nermin,

Thank you very much.  What's weird is this works in Notepad, but not in Word 2010, at least on both my Win7 & 10 systems.  Thanks again, this will really save time from having to down arrow 1 line at a time to find the next blank line.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 3:19 AM

Hi Mike,

try control+down or up arrow for next and previous. In most applications, this should do what you want.

Regards,
Nermin

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Word uses different keystrokes. There’s a list of items you can locate in documents, I can try to find it later. You also use the special menu once you expand the Advanced Find dialog.

Dean

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 8:35 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi Nermin,

Thank you very much.  What's weird is this works in Notepad, but not in Word 2010, at least on both my Win7 & 10 systems.  Thanks again, this will really save time from having to down arrow 1 line at a time to find the next blank line.

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

You could search for two paragraph symbols in a row. So, control-f, and type in the edit field: ^p^p

Sometimes another character appears between paragraph signs, such as a tab or a space. When I’m cleaning up documents for editing purposes, I will do the following in this sequence:

Search for ^t (tab) and replace with space.

Search for ^p space and replace with ^p

Then search for ^p^p

It can get more complicated, but that’s the gist.

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Mike,
That one is so basic, I figured you knew about it.
That is why I thought you needed something more obscure as the \N.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,
Nermin

Mike B

Yes, I figured Word used different keystrokes, but I couldn't find a character string or word to use for blank line in the advanced find settings.  I tried several of the find options without success.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 6:10 AM

Word uses different keystrokes. There’s a list of items you can locate in documents, I can try to find it later. You also use the special menu once you expand the Advanced Find dialog.

Dean

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Mike B

Hi Adrian,

I've been trying various find combinations for the blank line, but what I'm working with has all formatting stripped out, so what I'm looking for is to get from a blank line on top of a block of text to the next blank line at the bottom of a block of text.  Thank you very much for these tips, they'll come in handy for a different type of Find & Replace I do daily.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 6:31 AM

Mike,

You could search for two paragraph symbols in a row. So, control-f, and type in the edit field: ^p^p

Sometimes another character appears between paragraph signs, such as a tab or a space. When I’m cleaning up documents for editing purposes, I will do the following in this sequence:

Search for ^t (tab) and replace with space.

Search for ^p space and replace with ^p

Then search for ^p^p

It can get more complicated, but that’s the gist.

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nermin

Mike B

Hi Glenn,

You know, I use the control down arrow keystroke so seldom that I didn't even think about it, but in Word this keystroke doesn't do what I'm needing, at least in a document that doesn't have the formatting stripped out.  I'll try it with a document with the formatting stripped out a little later and see how it works.  Thanks much.

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 7:53 AM

Hi Mike,
That one is so basic, I figured you knew about it.
That is why I thought you needed something more obscure as the \N.
Glenn
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi Nermin,

Hi Mike,

Regards,
Nermin