moderated browsers

Maria Campbell

Agree.  I only remember shortcuts after a while of seeing them.  I hate ribbons for the same reason that they hide everything in layers and layers.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke
On 5/4/2020 9:50 AM, Chris Hill wrote:

Not really.  It is a lot simpler to remember that something you use occasionally is in a certain category, then you just dig through that category.  I gave up on the keyboard shortcuts thing a long time ago, way too much to remember and every program is different for anything but a few common tasks.  I think Chromium-based browsers are obnoxious for the poor menu design, I guess that worked for somebody who thought it was efficient.

On 5/3/2020 15:13, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 10:34 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
Firefox is not a chromium-based browser, thank god.  It has a normal type menu structure with file, edit, etc on a menu bar, unlike chromium browsers which bury most of what you need in one giant menu you have to cursor down through.
You are absolutely correct that Firefox is not based on the Chromium code.  I hope that my previous post was not taken to imply that it is (though I saw one after mine that did incorrectly lump Firefox in with other Chromium-based browsers).

However, I have never gotten the complaint about menu buttons versus menus.  Unless you know exactly where something is in a given menu-driven system you have to go from menu to menu and traverse them until you find it.  If it's something you use with any frequency, you then make a note of the keyboard shortcut sequence that gets you straight to it.  This is not much different at all than dealing with a menu button where the main menu is a single integrated item.  You still have to learn what is where, and make note of how to get there efficiently.  Six of one, half a dozen of another.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Chris Hill

Not really.  It is a lot simpler to remember that something you use occasionally is in a certain category, then you just dig through that category.  I gave up on the keyboard shortcuts thing a long time ago, way too much to remember and every program is different for anything but a few common tasks.  I think Chromium-based browsers are obnoxious for the poor menu design, I guess that worked for somebody who thought it was efficient.

On 5/3/2020 15:13, Brian Vogel wrote:
Firefox is not a chromium-based browser, thank god.  It has a normal type menu structure with file, edit, etc on a menu bar, unlike chromium browsers which bury most of what you need in one giant menu you have to cursor down through.
You are absolutely correct that Firefox is not based on the Chromium code.  I hope that my previous post was not taken to imply that it is (though I saw one after mine that did incorrectly lump Firefox in with other Chromium-based browsers).

However, I have never gotten the complaint about menu buttons versus menus.  Unless you know exactly where something is in a given menu-driven system you have to go from menu to menu and traverse them until you find it.  If it's something you use with any frequency, you then make a note of the keyboard shortcut sequence that gets you straight to it.  This is not much different at all than dealing with a menu button where the main menu is a single integrated item.  You still have to learn what is where, and make note of how to get there efficiently.  Six of one, half a dozen of another.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Shirley Tracy

For what it’s worth, I am beginning to love Firefox. Still use IE from time to time.

S

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2020 10:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: browsers

Oops.  Firefox is not a chromium-based browser, thank god.  It has a normal type menu structure with file, edit, etc on a menu bar, unlike chromium browsers which bury most of what you need in one giant menu you have to cursor down through.

On 5/2/2020 13:37, Bill White wrote:

Hi, Judy. As Brian said, a Chromium browser is one that is written in a specific code (Chromium). That being said, what is also meant is that Chromium browsers, (Edge, Firefox, Waterfox, Google Chrome, etc.) have a general look and feel to them. If you use one of them, and then install and use another Chromium browser, they all seem to look and feel similar as you use them.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2020 10:51 AM

Hi, what do you mean by chromium-based browsers? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2020 1:21 PM

Brave is an excellent choice, and its built in ad blocking and privacy features make it ideal for a screen reader user.

You can do a web search on whatever browser it is you want to download, along with the word download, and it's almost certain to be the first result returned.

Brave, the Chrome browser, and new Chromium-based Edge are all based on Chromium, and, thus, are very, very similar to use.  If you know one of them well, you know at least 90%, if not more, of what you need to know to jump in to the others.

Waterfox is a spin-off of Firefox.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Chris Hill

Oops.  Firefox is not a chromium-based browser, thank god.  It has a normal type menu structure with file, edit, etc on a menu bar, unlike chromium browsers which bury most of what you need in one giant menu you have to cursor down through.

On 5/2/2020 13:37, Bill White wrote:

Hi, Judy. As Brian said, a Chromium browser is one that is written in a specific code (Chromium). That being said, what is also meant is that Chromium browsers, (Edge, Firefox, Waterfox, Google Chrome, etc.) have a general look and feel to them. If you use one of them, and then install and use another Chromium browser, they all seem to look and feel similar as you use them.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi, what do you mean by chromium-based browsers? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

Brave is an excellent choice, and its built in ad blocking and privacy features make it ideal for a screen reader user.

You can do a web search on whatever browser it is you want to download, along with the word download, and it's almost certain to be the first result returned.

Brave, the Chrome browser, and new Chromium-based Edge are all based on Chromium, and, thus, are very, very similar to use.  If you know one of them well, you know at least 90%, if not more, of what you need to know to jump in to the others.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

The original Edge released with Windows 10 was not Chromium-based, thus people speak of Chromium-based Edge to differentiate the new (and current) stable-version Edge from original Edge, which is what is still on the vast majority of Windows 10 machines unless the user has downloaded and installed the stable version of new Microsoft Edge or one of the three insider channel versions, which are testing versions for what will eventually come to the stable version.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Judy

Thanks Bill, that’s all I wanted to know since a couple people kept calling one chromium-edge I just wondered. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2020 2:37 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Judy,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Chromium+browsers

There is no other way to put it.  All are based on the code for the open-source Chromium browser with specific slight customizations.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Judy

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Denise J Moses

Do you think Waterfox or Brave would be a good start to change browsers since I am still using Internet Explorer?  Where do I download these browsers?  Are there tutorials to learn them?  Should I also learn Chrome?

Thank you.

Denise