Topics

moderated the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

ratshtron

I have tried to update to the latest jaws 2020 on a windows 7 32bit system and when I do my system starts rebooting over and over. I get the error that the gdihooks.dll is missing from my computer and to reinstall the software. I finally got it to work removing all the jaws installations and only installing a 2003 build of 2020. Now, on my laptop running windows 10 had no problems with the 2004.66 update of jaws 2020. go figure!

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

Not surprised you are having trouble. I myself, only recently, had trouble
with installing jaws 2020. I had an authorization problem with windows 10.
Like you, i had to uninstall everything and reinstall everything.
Perhaps freedom scientific should look at this version of jaws again, and
take the bugs out of it.
God knows what else is wrong that hasn't been discovered yet.
Pat

I have tried to update to the latest jaws 2020 on a windows 7 32bit
system and when I do my system starts rebooting over and over. I get
the error that the gdihooks.dll is missing from my computer and to
reinstall the software. I finally got it to work removing all the
jaws installations and only installing a 2003 build of 2020. Now, on
my laptop running windows 10 had no problems with the 2004.66 update
of jaws 2020. go figure!

Hello Pat,

I don't wan to minimize the issues you had, but Jaws 2020 has been out for over 6 months and while there will always be certain configurations and systems with various issues, these may not always be 100% the fault of Jaws. I, for example, had one computer where for over a year I could not use any of the Windows apps like Calculator and in addition to that Jaws would read absolutely nothing in the start menu or the Settings app. I could open Settings and when somebody checked I was told visually everything was fine, I could right arrow and down arrow and focus would move, I could press enter and whatever category I was on opened up and so on, but Jaws was absolutely silent. This was even before Jaws 2020 came out and it was like this with Jaws 2018 and Jaws 2019 and nothing I did including completely uninstalling both versions, deleting all Jaws folders and reinstalling would fix it. At the same time I had another almost identical computer at my business with very similar hardware and all worked fine. Finally I read a post somewhere where another user had the same problem and somehow they either found out or were told to check if a particular item in the group policy editor in Windows 10 Pro was enabled. I checked the same setting and it was disabled on this particular computer, I have no idea why or how, but it was and as soon as I enabled it all worked perfectly. Narrator, by the way, worked just fine in the Settings app, start menu and calculator, it was just Jaws which had the problem and the problem which fixed the issue had nothing to do with Jaws, but was simply a Windows setting.
I mentioned this because it shows how sometimes a problem with Jaws can be extremely specific to one system and be caused by something which is directly not even related to Jaws. I am convinced that if I had wiped the system and reinstalled Windows this would have also fixed the problem, but this happened to be on the PC we use as the main register at my retail store and there is other software on this system which is not quite so easy to reinstall so for the longest time I just put up with it and used Narrator if I wanted to do something in the Settings, I hardly ever use the start menu anyways and when I needed to calculate something I'd just open up Excel instead of using the Calculator. This way I could work around the problem, but it was sure nice when it turned out to be such a simple fix which took me all of 30 seconds to make.

Best regards,
Sieghard