Topics

moderated Used alt D to get to address bar

kevin meyers

Hello, I’m using the most recent version of jaws2020, windows 10 and most recent version of Chrome. I’m on a site and moved to the address bar by pressing alt D. Now I cannot get off the address bar. Is there another key stroke to get off the address bar? Thanks Kevin

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Kevin. Try CONTROL plus F6.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Used alt D to get to address bar

Hello, I’m using the most recent version of jaws2020, windows 10 and most recent version of Chrome. I’m on a site and moved to the address bar by pressing alt D. Now I cannot get off the address bar. Is there another key stroke to get off the address bar? Thanks Kevin

Marianne Denning

I usually just hit enter and it takes me back to the web page I was on before the command.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Used alt D to get to address bar

Justin Williams

Or just f6. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:43 PM

I usually just hit enter and it takes me back to the web page I was on before the command.

Mario

I usually press shift+f6.

-------- Original Message --------
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 2:38 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

*From:*main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*kevin meyers
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:51 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Used alt D to get to address bar

Hello, I’m using the most recent version of jaws2020, windows 10 and
most recent version of Chrome. I’m on a site and moved to the address
bar by pressing alt D. Now I cannot get off the address bar. Is there
another key stroke to get off the address bar? Thanks Kevin

Glenn / Lenny

I usually shift + tab to get back onto the page.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 10:50 AM

Glenn / Lenny

I think that will reload the page though.
Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 1:43 PM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Don Mauck

You can just tab.

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 12:55 PM

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

tabbing usually sends you through other tool bars, that is why I shift + tab just once instead of multiple tabs.
Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:05 PM

You can just tab.

Glenn

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Dan Longmore

Hi,

Other than the mentioned suggestions I have found that if I go to another task and then come back to the browser the issue is resolved.  Not sure what triggers not being able to leave the address bar but it occurs on an occasional basis.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:51 AM

David Griffith

Annoyingly for me this behaviour of being stuck in the Tool bar occurs most often on my Nat West Bank site and tabbing around, various combinations of F6,  and moving between applications does not resolve it. Refreshing the page works on most pages to resolve this but of course this has the affect of logging me out of my bank so it is most annoying then as I have to restart  a multiple sequence security login again to get back to where I was.

This problem appears restricted to Chrome and I might abandon it again  for another browser if the problem persists.

David Griffith.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 29 April 2020 20:42

Hi,

Other than the mentioned suggestions I have found that if I go to another task and then come back to the browser the issue is resolved.  Not sure what triggers not being able to leave the address bar but it occurs on an occasional basis.

Dan

Don Mauck

Agree, depending upon how many tool bars our have. I try and keep those to a minimum

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 1:12 PM

tabbing usually sends you through other tool bars, that is why I shift + tab just once instead of multiple tabs.

Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:05 PM

You can just tab.

Glenn

One workaround option is doing a screen reader search for something you know to be somewhere in the page content itself.  At least it works sometimes.

When I SHIFT+Tab, if I'm in the address bar, the first thing I get thrown to if the page is HTTPS is the button to the left of the address bar that indicates this.  If I SHIFT+TAB again I end up thrown into the page somewhere near the bottom of the page.  Where, exactly, depends entirely on the page itself.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

I usually land on the bottom, so I do control + home if I want to get to the top again.
Or I can do  H for headings to start moving around that way.
Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 3:30 PM

One workaround option is doing a screen reader search for something you know to be somewhere in the page content itself.  At least it works sometimes.

When I SHIFT+Tab, if I'm in the address bar, the first thing I get thrown to if the page is HTTPS is the button to the left of the address bar that indicates this.  If I SHIFT+TAB again I end up thrown into the page somewhere near the bottom of the page.  Where, exactly, depends entirely on the page itself.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Dan Longmore

Yes,refresh is nice except when you’re logged in.  I use Chrome a lot and now you make me curious to know if this is a Chrome issue.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 4:08 PM

Annoyingly for me this behaviour of being stuck in the Tool bar occurs most often on my Nat West Bank site and tabbing around, various combinations of F6,  and moving between applications does not resolve it. Refreshing the page works on most pages to resolve this but of course this has the affect of logging me out of my bank so it is most annoying then as I have to restart  a multiple sequence security login again to get back to where I was.

This problem appears restricted to Chrome and I might abandon it again  for another browser if the problem persists.

David Griffith.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 29 April 2020 20:42

Hi,

Dan

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 05:50 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:
you make me curious to know if this is a Chrome issue.
I will never say never, but I will say it's unlikely.   It's far more likely to be something in the way the page is coded.  Testing in New Edge should be enough to determine whether things are consistent across Chromium-based browsers.  If, and only if they are, then testing in other browsers to see how they behave would be the next step.

I'd definitely report the issue to the entity that owns a given page, though.  It's often behind-the-scenes communication between business entities and Google with regard to this sort of issue that gets it ironed out in short order.  One or the other "side" of the issue generally figures out who/what is to blame.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

David Griffith

I don’t think this is correct.  This problem really is not at all site specific. For example this exact problem has been replicated on the RNIB Reading Services site and as another example the Sainsburys Shopping site.

Luckily though in those sites pressing F5 to refresh does not, unlike my bank site dump me out and require a re-login, so is an acceptable work around.

The problem did not exist on FireFox  so a return there may be an option.

David Griffith

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 29 April 2020 22:58

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 05:50 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:

you make me curious to know if this is a Chrome issue.

I will never say never, but I will say it's unlikely.   It's far more likely to be something in the way the page is coded.  Testing in New Edge should be enough to determine whether things are consistent across Chromium-based browsers.  If, and only if they are, then testing in other browsers to see how they behave would be the next step.

I'd definitely report the issue to the entity that owns a given page, though.  It's often behind-the-scenes communication between business entities and Google with regard to this sort of issue that gets it ironed out in short order.  One or the other "side" of the issue generally figures out who/what is to blame.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss