moderated Latest JAWS 2020 and continued Outlook 2016 issues

Alan Robbins

I was hoping the April JAWS 2020 update would fix the email issue in Outlook but it did not. Here is an example of how part of an email from my thermostat provider, ecobee, reads:

row 1 of 1
column 1 of 1
last cell in table
link‑
row 1 of 1
column 1 of 1
last cell in table
Your review matters. - Message (HTML)
nesting level 4

row 1 of 1
column 1 of 1
last cell in table

Your opinion matters.
nesting level 4
link‑
row 1 of 1
column 1 of 1

nesting level 3

row 1 of 9
column 1 of 1
nesting level 7
Graphic‑ Smart Thermostat Graphic‑ Smart Thermostat  image ‑  Graphic‑ Smart Thermostat Graphic‑
row 1 of 1

This does not happen with JAWS 2019 or the initial JAWS 2020. I’m not sure when this began but I know the February, march, and April vesions do this. Anyone else seeing this?

I’m using Windows version 1909, MS Office 2016 and latest JAWS 2020

Al

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Alan. Try opening Outlook. Press JAWS key plus V for Quick Settings. In the search box, type table detection

Uncheck this option, TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

See if this allows your email to be read correctly.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Mich Verrier

Hi I also use jaws 2018 and have found this problem with that version as well I am using outlook and have come across e mails that read like that as well it is really annoying. Until reading this e mail I thought it was a outlook and not a jaws problem. From Mich.

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

If the detect tables does not work, another possibility is that layout tables are causing you grief so make sure they are turned off.
Web sites have CSS in order to put text into columns and other cute layouts, but Mail generally ignores CSS functions for complex layout so designers end up using tables with multi row or multi column spans that can not effectively be read column by column row by row, so the screen reader ends up either reading things repetitively or else skipping important information.

Sometimes the mail will have a plain text alternative either in the same message or in a subscribe button. This of course brings its own problems.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Jonathan. How do you turn off layout tables?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...