Frank Ventura

From: Randy
PRESS JAWS KEY PLUS 6 THEN TYPE IN DOCUMENT PRESENTATION  AND YOU WILL SEE THE SETTING.
Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,
I’m pretty sure it’s Document Presentation Mode. Apologies in advance if I send you down the wrong path.
HTH
Norma

From: Mike B.
Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center
Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation
Mike

Randy Barnett

Yes it is document presentation mode but it will pop up as the only choice after you type half of presentation.

On 4/25/2020 10:30 AM, Mike B wrote:

Hi all, there is a setting in JAWS that allows a person to read links on a web page left to right as they are viewed by a sighted person, instead of the normal up and down. It has been in for a few versions of JAWS. Can anyone think of the name of that feature?

Thanks

Frank Ventura

From: Mike B.
Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center
Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation
Mike

Judy

What do you call it if you want to read the links vertically? I went to the settings and thought I chose what I should with simple view and the choice for vertical and saved it but things are still read horizontally. What did I miss? Judy & Libby

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Bill White

Hi, Judy. I'm getting the same behavior, no matter whether I set Document Presentation to Simple or Screen Layout. Seems to make no difference when using TAB to traverse the page.

By the way, I'm using Internet Explorer to test the behavior of Document Presentation, not because I think IE is the best, but because, when they implemented these settings, that was the browser that was most used at the time.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Bill White

Hi again, Judy. I just tried switching to Google Chrome, setting Document Presentation to either Simple or Screen Layout, and I get the same horizontal traversal with TAB, no matter how this setting is set. Either I'm missing something about this setting, or it is not working properly.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Bill White

Hi again, Judy. Here's what JAWS says about Document Presentation:

This option controls how JAWS formats virtual documents.

Select Simple Layout to have links, form fields, buttons, and other page controls display on a separate line. This is the default setting if Smart Navigation is not enabled.

Select Screen Layout to have pages rendered in the virtual buffer in a way that is similar to what a sighted user sees on the screen. If page controls visually appear on the same line, then they will appear on the same line in the virtual buffer. In addition, all items in a single table row display on the same line. Table cells are separated by a vertical bar.

Screen Layout is used when Smart Navigation is set to Controls or Controls and Tables and cannot be changed while Smart Navigation is active.

I don't have Smart Navigation enabled, yet this seems to make no difference.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Peter Tesar

I've noticed this issue.

On some web pages the links are on the same line and sometimes they are on separate lines.

I made no changes to the Jaws settings.

Now that you brought this to our attention, I'll try to notice a pattern.

Maybe it depends on the web browser, I regularly switch between IE11, Firefox and Chrome.

Maybe it depends on the web page.

Peter T.

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Judy

Bill, I tried it both with google chrome and internet explorer and found the same results as you did. We must be missing something. Judy & Libby

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Judy

I wonder if it’s Win 10 that needs to be changed? Thanks to all for the help. Judy & Libby

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Mike B

Hi Judy & Bill,

From what I've been told after learning more about Jaws is that when you, Tab, you are going vertical on the page.  This surprised me since I had been pictureing tabbing as going horizontally across a page, like with the old school typewriters.  This comes from being pretty much self taught and having a lot of questions like this and not having any real teaching about computers or Jaws until I found the Jaws-Users group.

So, now let me ask, is the Documents Presentation feature supposed to change the default Jaws navigation from vertical to horizontal when tabbing?  I don't have any sight at all so I can't tell.

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

Sean Murphy

All,

If you are talking about moving between elements. It depends on how the document object model has been built. The Document Object model is the way in which the browser stores all the information you are reviewing. There is the styling piece that comes into as well which is called the CSS. Not sure if this would effect the tab order.

If you have to links on the same line, they should navigate from left to right. Starting with the first link. This is of course assuming there is nothing changing the tab order.

The document view will show you ho the page is structured on the page. For example. If you have a line of text with a link in it. Jaws will read the whole line and announces the link as part of it. In simple layout, the first part of the line is spoken, then the link, then the remaining part of the line.

I hope the above helps.

Sean

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

John Covici

I don't think any of these settings effect tab order, Jaws gives this
to the browser no matter what -- they only effect navigating by arrow
keys. Jaws does not interfere with what the browser does with tab.

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>

From: Randy

From: Norma A. Boge
Hi Frank,

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Sean Murphy

Let me go into more depth.

Tabindex is the attribute which effects tab order. If this is set to 0, then
the way in which the page is loaded into the browser is the tab order. If a
positive value is used which is a WCAG 2.1 failure. Then the focus order
will change. If a button is activated and this shows new content. Depending
on how the developer has developed the page. The content could appear at the
bottom of the virtual buffer (been inserted at the end of the dom) or
inserted after the button. So the next item Jaws sees is the new content
which is correct behaviour. The page should never use a positive value to
achieve tab order as it breaks things very quickly.

The difference between simple and document mode for Jaws is if the link and
other elements are presented on their own lines or not. The default document
view you will have links and other elements on different lines when using
the down arrow. In document view, the link will be a part of the paragraph
text. The tab order is still the same.

A lot of web sites use a tabindex -1 to change the tab order of items
depending on what you have done on the page.

Sean

From: Randy

From: Mike B.

Document Presentation Mode is in the Settings Center

Document Presentation Mode is here, Web / HTML / PDFs / Navigation

Mike

[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Cohn, Jonathan

There is another feature to consider.  SmartNav can also effect links. If SmartNav is turned on then paragraphs with links in them will be read as a single block of text but if SmartNav is off  and document presentation is set as discussed  above then links will appear in a separate line.
layout are

michaeel's mail

I had the same provlem Jonathon and i just worked out how to fix it before i read your email.
I rather have links going dow then across.
Cheers michael.

There is another feature to consider.  SmartNav can also effect links. If SmartNav is turned on then paragraphs with links in them will be read as a single block of text but if SmartNav is off  and document presentation is set as discussed  above then links will appear in a separate line.
layout are

Judy

Michael, what did you do? I’d rather have them going down than across as well. I did turn off smart navigation but they still went across. Judy & Libby