Topics

moderated websites pestering me to turn on screen reader mode

dennis

anyone else having this problem? using jaws 2019 and firefox and waterfox. thanks.

--
Dennis Cornelison

David Csercsics

Yes, but I'm not sure it's a problem. Usually if a website has a screen reader mode, I assume it's designed to make the site work better with a screen reader and enable it. I'd rather be told about the mode, because sometimes they also have extra help for using the website with a screen reader. I usually use NVDA, if that makes a difference. What problems does this cause for you? Would you rather it could autodetect your screen reader?

dennis

if i enable it every time i click on a link or button my computer bleeps. i don't mean through the speakers, i mean from inside the case. i hate it!

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 05:00 PM, dennis wrote:
i don't mean through the speakers, i mean from inside the case. i hate it!
Well, this is an entirely idiosyncratic behavior.  I have never, in over a decade of tutoring JAWS, seen this occur.  I would hate it, too!

If you're using Windows 10 on that machine consider going to the step discussing SFC & DISM and starting there in Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Vaughan Dodd

I have found it generally next to useless – more of a nag than truly functional.

My bank has this feature, but the site has evolved over time to be less and less accessible – making more use of frames and multiple tabs. It seems as if ‘screen reader mode” was a suggestion, but its actual development to be truly helpful has languished.

Vaughan.

Vaughan Dodd

Vdodd001@...

+6421 784 856.

if i enable it every time i click on a link or button my computer bleeps. i don't mean through the speakers, i mean from inside the case. i hate it!

On 4/23/2020 2:26 PM, David Csercsics wrote:

Yes, but I'm not sure it's a problem. Usually if a website has a screen reader mode, I assume it's designed to make the site work better with a screen reader and enable it. I'd rather be told about the mode, because sometimes they also have extra help for using the website with a screen reader. I usually use NVDA, if that makes a difference. What problems does this cause for you? Would you rather it could autodetect your screen reader?

--
Dennis Cornelison

JM Casey

It could be fine if it's just a "mode" -- but if we don't really know what it is exactly, being cautious about turning it on seems reasonable. It's not great accessibilitly practice to create a separate scheme for screen reader users. On some websites I've seen in the past (thankfully not too recently, I don't think) this even means a whole differetn set of webpages -- that'sa bad thing because who knows if they are updated/maintained with the diligence of the "normal" site?