moderated Problem Retrieving Original Sender's E-mail Address On Groups.io E-mail Lists

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am on a number of groups.io e-mail lists, and I used to be able to retrieve the original sender’s e-mail address from a message, if I wanted to respond just to that individual.

I used to be able to do this in two ways:

1.  I could do an insert shift R, but that no longer works.  I now consistently get a message that says “cannot retrieve  sender’s address”.

Or

2.  On most groups.io e-mail lists, there is a link for “reply to sender”.  However, when I access this link, I get put into some sort of a Microsoft Edge mail app that I cannot figure out how to navigate.

I’m using Windows 10 with Office 365 Outlook e-mail here, with the latest build of Jaws 2020.

Thanks for any help.

Tom Behler

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Neither of the two ways you mentioned for retrieving the sender's email address is always effective. What I do is to start Outlook, (this is what I use), open the message in question, and press ALT plus F, followed by the letters i, then V. After doing this, you can TAB over to where it mentions headers. The sender's email address is there, but you must arrow up and down through the information, or in some cases, tab through the information. You will know the correct line, because it will say the word "from" at the beginning of the line. The word from will not have the quotes around it. After the word from will be the person's email account name in quotes, followed by their email address enclosed in less than and greater than brackets.

The other problem you are having is that you don't have Outlook set to use your default Internet browser, so your links are opening up in Edge. Since I'm not using Office 365, I cannot tell you exactly where to go within Outlook to set it to use your default browser.

The other thing I may suggest is to make sure that Edge is not currently your default Internet Browser.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 04:14 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
On most groups.io e-mail lists, there is a link for “reply to sender”.  However, when I access this link, I get put into some sort of a Microsoft Edge mail app that I cannot figure out how to navigate.
You need to go into Windows 10 Settings, Apps, Default Apps, and for Email (which is the first in the list) activate the button that probably reads Windows 10 Mail App or Edge, and once activated, choose Outlook 365 instead.

In all cases, whatever you have chosen as the default e-mail app will open for a mailto: link, which is precisely what the Reply to Sender link in Groups.io messages are, with the address of the mailto: being that of the individual who wrote the message to the group.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

What I do, and maybe this is more work, but it seems to be consistent.

Hit alt+1 twice quickly to focus the from field.

Hit the application key or shift+f10 and arrow down to select all and press enter.

Hit the application key again, arrow to copy and hit enter.

What I got with this message is:

main@jfw.groups.io; on behalf of; Bill White <billwhite92701@...>; (main@jfw.groups.io via groups.io)

Obviously, you have some editing to do after that, but it works.

Richard

I am on a number of groups.io e-mail lists, and I used to be able to retrieve the original sender’s e-mail address from a message, if I wanted to respond just to that individual.

I used to be able to do this in two ways:

1.  I could do an insert shift R, but that no longer works.  I now consistently get a message that says “cannot retrieve  sender’s address”.

Or

2.  On most groups.io e-mail lists, there is a link for “reply to sender”.  However, when I access this link, I get put into some sort of a Microsoft Edge mail app that I cannot figure out how to navigate.

I’m using Windows 10 with Office 365 Outlook e-mail here, with the latest build of Jaws 2020.

Thanks for any help.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Bill:

I think this suggestion might have appeared on the JFW Users list, but someone told me of another way to get the sender’s e-mail address.

When in an open message, press alt 1 twice.  This takes the information in the From field, including the sender’s e-mail address,  and copies it onto the clip board.

Then, when in your e-mail reply, you can paste the sender’s address  into the “to” field, and go from there.

It’s kind of round-about, but it does work.

Also, I do not have Edge set as my default internet browser.  Currently, it is Firefox, but I am leaning more and more to switching over to Google Chrome.

I wonder what you use as your main internet browser?

Once again, I’m using Jaws 2020 on this Windows 10 computer.

Tom Behler

[...]

Brian:

How do I get to Windows 10 settings?

Tom Behler

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 04:14 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

On most groups.io e-mail lists, there is a link for “reply to sender”.  However, when I access this link, I get put into some sort of a Microsoft Edge mail app that I cannot figure out how to navigate.

You need to go into Windows 10 Settings, Apps, Default Apps, and for Email (which is the first in the list) activate the button that probably reads Windows 10 Mail App or Edge, and once activated, choose Outlook 365 instead.

In all cases, whatever you have chosen as the default e-mail app will open for a mailto: link, which is precisely what the Reply to Sender link in Groups.io messages are, with the address of the mailto: being that of the individual who wrote the message to the group.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Mine's Google Chrome as well. Sounds like you need to set another browser to work with Outlook.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

You can probably bring up Default Apps just by typing the word default into the search box, by pressing the Windows key. Then check if Office 365 or Outlook is your default email program.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 07:55 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
How do I get to Windows 10 settings?
Hit Windows Key, immediately type Settings, select Settings App from what's returned (it should be the first item).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 07:58 PM, Bill White wrote:
bring up Default Apps just by typing the word default into the search box
That works, too.  But anyone who's using Windows 10 had ought to take a cruise around the Settings main window, at least once, so they have some familiarity with what's there.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Richard:

Based on a helpful suggestion from another list member, I’ve discovered that you can also copy the info in the from field to the clipboard, and then paste it into your reply, after which you can delete everything else but the sender’s address.

I agree it is more work, but at least it’s doable.

I wonder why the insert shift R command has now stopped working, and if this is an Outlook or a Jaws issue?

Tom Behler

[...]

As an aside, for anyone who's new to Windows 10 since Windows 7 has gone out of support, or just wants to know more about it would be well-advised to consider joining the WIndows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group on Groups.io.  Navigate to the noted page, search for Group Email Addresses, and the ones you need for posting, subscribing, unsubscribing are right there.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 08:03 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
I agree it is more work, but at least it’s doable.
And while it is a splendid workaround, it's also entirely unnecessary if you set your default e-mail program to the one of your choosing, not leave it at whatever it happens to be set to now.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Yep, you might be right, Bill.

Tom Behler

[...]

Mike B.

Hi Tom,

There are several ways, but so you can see what other settings are available here's 1 way of getting to the Default Apps.
1. Press, Windows key + I, then tab 1 time to your categories.
2. Navigate with right arrow key to, Apps, and press enter.
3. Tab 1 time into your list of categories and down arrow to Default apps and press enter.  Now you can tab through your default app options.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 04:14 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

On most groups.io e-mail lists, there is a link for “reply to sender”.  However, when I access this link, I get put into some sort of a Microsoft Edge mail app that I cannot figure out how to navigate.

You need to go into Windows 10 Settings, Apps, Default Apps, and for Email (which is the first in the list) activate the button that probably reads Windows 10 Mail App or Edge, and once activated, choose Outlook 365 instead.

In all cases, whatever you have chosen as the default e-mail app will open for a mailto: link, which is precisely what the Reply to Sender link in Groups.io messages are, with the address of the mailto: being that of the individual who wrote the message to the group.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B.

To join the Windows 10 for screenreader users group you can click on the email address below, or copy / paste into a new email, put subscribe in the subject field and send.

Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:07 PM

As an aside, for anyone who's new to Windows 10 since Windows 7 has gone out of support, or just wants to know more about it would be well-advised to consider joining the WIndows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group on Groups.io.  Navigate to the noted page, search for Group Email Addresses, and the ones you need for posting, subscribing, unsubscribing are right there.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Bill:

I just changed my default e-mail to Outlook, and used the “reply” link at the bottom of this message to reply to the sender, who, in this case was you.

Even though Jaws initially said that the original sender’s e-mail address was unavailable, your address came up in my “to” field.

So, it looks like the reply to sender link now works, at least on this list.

I’m sending this note to the entire list, though, to let everyone know of my progress.

Tom Behler

[...]

Thanks, Mike, for these instructions.

I got them to work, so I could change my default mail app to Outlook.

Tom Behler