Topics

moderated change default homepage in Microsoft edge

Tom Coburn

hello everyone,

my name is Tom, I just lost my vision entirely back in August 2019,  and I’ve only been learning Jaws since September 2019,  so I’m still a newbie.

I hope I am sending this to the right place, being a newbie with Jaws, I don’t understand what email address I am sending this  to. I hope I am sending this to the entire group.

in the new chromium version of Microsoft edge, how do I change the default homepage? And change the default search engine to Google?  I mean, who even uses bing?

I have Jaws 2020, The home annual license version.

Tom Coburn

Hi,

Yes. The following came up on Win10 Forum for Screen Reader Users archive (way back in January 2020):

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/41418?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Edge+home+page,20,2,0,69745495

You will need to open Edge settings (Edge menu (Alt+F)/Settings), search “startup”, tab around, then from On Startup grouping, select “Open a specific page or pages Open a specific page or pages”.

Cheers,

Joseph

my name is Tom, I just lost my vision entirely back in August 2019,  and I’ve only been learning Jaws since September 2019,  so I’m still a newbie.

I hope I am sending this to the right place, being a newbie with Jaws, I don’t understand what email address I am sending this  to. I hope I am sending this to the entire group.

in the new chromium version of Microsoft edge, how do I change the default homepage? And change the default search engine to Google?  I mean, who even uses bing?

I have Jaws 2020, The home annual license version.

Tom Coburn

Tom Coburn

I know how to go to settings, but I have tabbed all around, and I cannot find it on the settings page.  where is it?

I am having similar problems with the windows settings application.

On Apr 17, 2020 at 9:41 AM, <Joseph Lee> wrote:

[...]

Loy

Hi Tom,
I am also a newly totally blind person. Below is instruction that was sent out a few months ago. Hope it will help.

Here below is the instructions to set the on start page in the new Chromium Edge.

How to set on start page in Chromium Edge:

1. Open Edge settings  ALT+F,S
2. TAB once, down arrow 3 times to on start, hit Enter (the On Startup Pane is now open with three radio buttons.
3. Navigate to and activate the third radio button, Open a specific page or pages.  Once you've done that the Add a new page button becomes available - Activate it
4. In the add a new page dialog that pops up, enter the URL of the page you'd like to have open when Edge starts.  You've said you want Google, so enter google.com.
5. Navigate to the Add button after the text box where you entered the URL, and activate it.

You're done.  Now when you open Edge it will show Google.com as the start page, which is what you're looking for.  The Start page and the home page can

my name is Tom, I just lost my vision entirely back in August 2019,  and I’ve only been learning Jaws since September 2019,  so I’m still a newbie.

I hope I am sending this to the right place, being a newbie with Jaws, I don’t understand what email address I am sending this  to. I hope I am sending this to the entire group.

in the new chromium version of Microsoft edge, how do I change the default homepage? And change the default search engine to Google?  I mean, who even uses bing?

I have Jaws 2020, The home annual license version.

Tom Coburn

Hi,

You won’t find some settings easily, I’m afraid, partly because Edge 81 is based on Chromium so it’ll look similar to Chrome up to a point. The best way to find certain settings is searching for them – that’s also the recommended method to look for certain things in Settings app (Windows+I).

Cheers,

Joseph

my name is Tom, I just lost my vision entirely back in August 2019,  and I’ve only been learning Jaws since September 2019,  so I’m still a newbie.

I hope I am sending this to the right place, being a newbie with Jaws, I don’t understand what email address I am sending this  to. I hope I am sending this to the entire group.

in the new chromium version of Microsoft edge, how do I change the default homepage? And change the default search engine to Google?  I mean, who even uses bing?

I have Jaws 2020, The home annual license version.

Tom Coburn

Hi,

Changed significantly in Edge 81 due to introduction of profiles and profile sync:

  1. Open Edge settings (Edge menu (Alt+F)/Settings).
  2. Press Escape to exit forms mode.
  3. Go to top of the settings page and activate Settings menu button.
  4. Press Tab to go to Settings categories list.
  5. Select On startup (you need to press Enter to activate it).
  6. Press Tab until you land on “on startup” radio buttons.
  7. Rest are same as Edge 79 and 80.

Cheers,

Joseph