Topics

moderated Jaws problem making labels in Word 365

Norma A. Boge

Hi group,

On my Win 10 PC I’m using J 2020.2003.13 and Word 365. I am making address labels, and when I type or paste text into the address field, I am unable to review the text with Jaws. When I curser around I get nothing. No blank blank or anything, and this is using PC and Jaws cursor. If I use the touch cursor, I can get to where I can see the address on one line, which is better than nothing, I guess. A sighted person can see the address fine, and it prints fine on the label but I really need to be able to review and edit and make sure it’s correct before I print. I don’t recall when this issue began,   but I know it was happening in J 2019. Word is maximized and restarting Jaws doesn’t help. I just tried it with J 2018 with the same result.

I welcome your suggestions. Maybe I should contact FS tech support but often the info I get from this list is much more helpful. 😀

Take care,

Norma

george b <gbmagoo@...>

How are you doing the lables?

Are you going to the maillings tab in the ribbon and then choosing  create menu and then envelope or lables

[...]

Hi George, yess, that is how I am creating the labels. Norma

[...]

So you are making labels by going to ribbon mail labels, correct

[...]

Are you trying to make a page full of a single label?   Since you're hand typing the address I'm presuming either that, or making a single label somewhere on the sheet where you know where the first unprinted label position is for when you feed a partially used sheet through the printer.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

I also forgot to ask, what label template?    I can try to play with this later today or this evening with JAWS and see what happens for me.  It's helpful to know exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish and how you're going about doing it.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Van Lant, Robin

Norma,

I’m in JAWS 2020 with Office 365.   It’s not operating as smoothly as I would like, but I’m able to read it.   It seems like JAWS loses focus a bit and also sometimes read a bit extra.  There is a shortcut key of Alt A to get to the text box where the address can be typed or appears if you hit the label option after selecting the text you  wanted in your label.   I’m not sure that I have a consistent work around and I’m heading into a meeting, but a quick answer is to use Alt A and either Insert tab or Insert up arrow to read the current line.  It seems that if I type my address into the text field in the label dialog, I can hear as I type, but I am not consistently able to reread what I typed without navigating away, using Alt A, then one of the read line options.   I’ll come back to this conversation later and see if I can help anymore later today.

I also forgot to ask, what label template?    I can try to play with this later today or this evening with JAWS and see what happens for me.  It's helpful to know exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish and how you're going about doing it.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114